?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
delete
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good for you! I've heard employers do like A-levels but if you say they were special circumstances, I'm sure they would understand, especially as you managed to convince your uni.
tetters
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
good job ! i'm sure an employer will look first and foremost at the degree, although there may be a hitch if you are competing for a highly competitive job and there are others with as good a degree that the employer may weigh their decision on something else e.g. a-levels - that said i''m sure you'll be fine if you have a good degree
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
Good for you! I've heard employers do like A-levels but if you say they were special circumstances, I'm sure they would understand, especially as you managed to convince your uni.
The only employers who look at your A-Levels are the very very top end employers who want to differentiate between the huge number of candidates that apply for their vacancies.

The rest of us are very aware that people change significantly at this time of their lives and a person who's messing around in class as a 17 y/o sixth former is not going to be the same person who is going for their finals - especially those people who've had a gap year or time outside of the education system. My brother messed up his A-Levels but ended up flying at Leeds and has just completed an MSc - even though his original A-levels were CDE. (This is old-skool A-levels from the late 1990s.) He's now a qualified town planner.

The only time I'd even think about looking at A-levels is for the subject choice - esp. if the individual had chosen a degree that had little numerical/statistical component to it. (I'd want them to be competent with spreadsheets.) Otherwise, I'd see them as another rung on the ladder to greater things.
Liverpool's Number 9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good on ya!

Here's to the future, I hope I can replicate your achievement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.59%
No - but I will (35)
6.57%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.75%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (251)
47.09%

Watched Threads