The Student Room Group

Suvat equations help please

Screenshot (75).png
I'm very confused. Why do I get 2 different accelerations depending on whether I use v=u+at or v2=u2+2as here ?
Help please
Original post by JanaALEVEL
I'm very confused. Why do I get 2 different accelerations depending on whether I use v=u+at or v2=u2+2as here ?
Help please

I get 3/4 m/s² both ways. Post your working and we'll try to help you find the mistake.
Reply 2
Original post by MarkFromWales
I get 3/4 m/s² both ways. Post your working and we'll try to help you find the mistake.

Using v=u+at
3=a(4) a=3/4
but using v2=u2+2as
9=2a(8)
a=9/16
Using v=u+at
3=a(4) a=3/4
but using v2=u2+2as
9=2a(8)
a=9/16

Apologies. Yes, you are right. I'm going to think about this!
The suvat formulas only apply when acceleration is constant (or zero). I'm thinking about whether this is the case.
I'm thinking that as the box accelerates the frictional force changes so the acceleration isn't constant so suvat formulas don't apply.
Reply 6
Screenshot (75).png
Help please

Well if you are trying to answer the question of work done, all you need to use is the formula work done= Force * Distance
Reply 7
Original post by Chakram
Well if you are trying to answer the question of work done, all you need to use is the formula work done= Force * Distance

work done by the friction
work done by the friction

Yes, the friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion so the work done by friction will be negative.
Reply 9
I still don't know why they use the a=9/16
Screenshot (75).png
Help please

Friction's limiting, varies from 0 to μR; net force/accel over the distance varies, so don't use SUVAT. Besides, why focus on accel if you're looking for work done?

Work done by F is 120*8 = 960 J, yet mass obtains KE = 0.5*20*3^2 = 90 J, so work done by friction is?
(edited 4 years ago)
I still don't know why they use the a = 9/16

v^2 = u^2 + 2as => (m/2)(v^2 - u^2) = mas = Fs
=> KEfinal - KEstart = Net W => KEbox = WF + WFr

So this SUVAT eqn implies energy eqn and vice versa, so the 'a' that fits will work; average/effective accel over the distance (with corresponding net force).
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest