The Student Room Group

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

I have applied for Edinburgh (Geophysics with Geology) and Glasgow( Geology) and I expect to receive an offer from both. I plan to choose Aberdeen, as my asurance choice because it has lower admission requirements. So I am not really decided whether to choose Edinburgh or Glasgow as a firm choice. Which one is better in your opinion?
Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Tribulogic
Edinburgh

Could you tell me more about Edinburgh? In which aspects is it better?
Original post by Daria30
Could you tell me more about Edinburgh? In which aspects is it better?

I meant Glasgow, sorry. It's academically stronger in Geology than Edinburgh.

However, overall Edinburgh is more reputable than Glasgow.
Reply 4
I meant Glasgow, sorry. It's academically stronger in Geology than Edinburgh.

However, overall Edinburgh is more reputable than Glasgow.

Thank you!
Honestly, I don't know enough about either university's Geology courses or departments. I did, however, go to Edinburgh and had a good time. The university is also very internationally famous and has a better overall reputation than Glasgow. Both are excellent universities though. As far as domestic rankings go, they're pretty much neck-to-neck.
Original post by Daria30
I have applied for Edinburgh (Geophysics with Geology) and Glasgow( Geology) and I expect to receive an offer from both. I plan to choose Aberdeen, as my asurance choice because it has lower admission requirements. So I am not really decided whether to choose Edinburgh or Glasgow as a firm choice. Which one is better in your opinion?

go to www.seeuni.org to check the university ranking and course. I've checked the keyword Geology, Edinburgh is in front. Both uni and course show Edinburgh is stronger. So if I were you, I would firm Edinburgh. Aberdeen is a great university but not comparable to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Don't go to other rankings, they are commercial and not right. only SEEUNI is right.
Are you able to do open days for either? I applied to both, ended up choosing Glasgow just cause I really wasn't feeling Edinburgh when I went there.

Other point of consideration not mentioned by others yet: Cost of living in Edinburgh is going to be higher.
Reply 8
Original post by appleschop
go to www.seeuni.org to check the university ranking and course. I've checked the keyword Geology, Edinburgh is in front. Both uni and course show Edinburgh is stronger. So if I were you, I would firm Edinburgh. Aberdeen is a great university but not comparable to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Don't go to other rankings, they are commercial and not right. only SEEUNI is right.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 9
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Are you able to do open days for either? I applied to both, ended up choosing Glasgow just cause I really wasn't feeling Edinburgh when I went there.

Other point of consideration not mentioned by others yet: Cost of living in Edinburgh is going to be higher.

Sadly no, as I do not live in the UK, but I wish I could visit at least one to see the atmosphere myself. Edinburgh seems more my type, but the living costs are a real problem indeed.
Thanks a lot!
Original post by Daria30
Thanks a lot!

Welcome, good luck!

seeuni.org is wrong, and an unknown source for this information. Stick to https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
seeuni.org is wrong, and an unknown source for this information. Stick to https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

SEEUNI is research company based. The university ranking is based on the statistics of 38000 courses. Please look at it carefully before considering sth. is wrong. The data and method of research are stated clearly on the bottom of the SEEUNI home page. I list the Top 10 of ranks for your reference. Every one can compare and vote which is wrong:

Top 10 on SEEUNI
The University of Cambridge
The University of Oxford
University College London
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
The University of Edinburgh
The University of St Andrews
The University of Glasgow
The University of Strathclyde
University of Durham
The University of Manchester

Top 10 on the CUP you provided:
University of Cambridge: 1
University of Oxford: 2
University of St Andrews :3
London School of Economics and Political Science : 4
Imperial College London : 5
Durham University: 6
Lancaster University: 7
Loughborough University: 8
University of Bath : 9
University College London: 10

You can compare more. Comparing with SEEUNI, CUP, Guardian, QS and Times are just rubbish.
SEEUNI is research company based. The university ranking is based on the statistics of 38000 courses. Please look at it carefully before considering sth. is wrong. The data and method of research are stated clearly on the bottom of the SEEUNI home page. I list the Top 10 of ranks for your reference. Every one can compare and vote which is wrong:

Top 10 on SEEUNI
The University of Cambridge
The University of Oxford
University College London
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
The University of Edinburgh
The University of St Andrews
The University of Glasgow
The University of Strathclyde
University of Durham
The University of Manchester

Top 10 on the CUP you provided:
University of Cambridge: 1
University of Oxford: 2
University of St Andrews :3
London School of Economics and Political Science : 4
Imperial College London : 5
Durham University: 6
Lancaster University: 7
Loughborough University: 8
University of Bath : 9
University College London: 10

You can compare more. Comparing with SEEUNI, CUP, Guardian, QS and Times are just rubbish.

You are wrong. You feel better believing it is a more legitimate because your low-tier university is probably ranked 50 ranks higher than it actually is.
Original post by Daria30

I will have to be bias with saying that Edinburgh is better because its a fantastic city, full of history and a world renowned university compare to Glasgow. Nothing in Aberdeen for my liking.
As I'm a edinburgh person I will say Edinburgh university is second to none for there courses and its reputation to.

Its depends on yourself on which subject you wanting to actually study as this will determined where you goto okay
Reply 15
Do/did you go to Edinburgh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending