The Student Room Group

Studying Psychology at these universities

So I’ve been offered a place from London Southbank and Goldsmiths university to study Psychology. I don’t really know much about these universities please can someone give me some background knowledge or some advice on which one to consider more.

What uni has a better reputation, study resources and uni life in general.
Original post by galai
So I’ve been offered a place from London Southbank and Goldsmiths university to study Psychology. I don’t really know much about these universities please can someone give me some background knowledge or some advice on which one to consider more.

What uni has a better reputation, study resources and uni life in general.

The best thing to do is to visit these universities if at all possible so you can get a feel for them. It's very hard for anyone else to advise which one you might prefer as your priorities are likely to be very different to theirs.

If you haven't already it's a good idea to compare module content, contact hours, accommodation options and social life in the vicinity of the university.
Hi there 👋

First of all, congrats on receiving your offers! 🎉

I'm not sure if you're in London at the moment, but we actually have an undergraduate open day tomorrow! The open day is a great opportunity to meet the department, speak to students from the course, and get a feel for the campus to see if it's the right fit for you. You can find more info here: www.gold.ac.uk/open-days/

Don't worry if you can't make it on such short notice, as we'll have campus tours and other events coming up in the future too. I'm also happy to answer any questions you might have on here! 😊

-Miranda
Psychology in LSBU is really fun in my opinion. Feel free to ask me questions
(edited 4 years ago)
Look at the course structure - not just the general description of the course.
What units are available in each year, what is compulsory, what/how many units can you choose, do these interest you, etc etc.
If you can't find this easily on the Uni website (tip - search 'unit catalogue', or 'course catalogue'), then email the Uni and ask for the link. It shouldnt be 'secret' - you are spending ££ on a degree, you need to know that you will enjoy it and its what you want.

Are there any extras like 'placements', opportunities for study abroad, units in other subjects etc etc These sort of things help you develop confidence and maturity, add to your CV and make you more 'interesting' to employers.

If you can't visit the Unis in person, then look at the Open Day films and 'student videos' on YouTube. These will give you a good idea about what the Uni looks like and what students think about their course. Can you see yourself there - often gut reaction is the decider.

Finally, make sure the course is accredited by BPS if you think you might eventually work in this area. Without it, you work options are more limited. Check here : https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
Look at the course structure - not just the general description of the course.
What units are available in each year, what is compulsory, what/how many units can you choose, do these interest you, etc etc.
If you can't find this easily on the Uni website (tip - search 'unit catalogue', or 'course catalogue'), then email the Uni and ask for the link. It shouldnt be 'secret' - you are spending ££ on a degree, you need to know that you will enjoy it and its what you want.

Are there any extras like 'placements', opportunities for study abroad, units in other subjects etc etc These sort of things help you develop confidence and maturity, add to your CV and make you more 'interesting' to employers.

If you can't visit the Unis in person, then look at the Open Day films and 'student videos' on YouTube. These will give you a good idea about what the Uni looks like and what students think about their course. Can you see yourself there - often gut reaction is the decider.

Finally, make sure the course is accredited by BPS if you think you might eventually work in this area. Without it, you work options are more limited. Check here : https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist

Thank you so much for your advice I’ve looked more carefully at the course and if they have any sand which courses. I’m also going to visit their unis
Reply 6
Original post by nabilahhh
Psychology in LSBU is really fun in my opinion. Feel free to ask me questions

Would u mind if I did? What was your favourite thing about studying there?
Reply 7
Original post by Charlotte's Web
The best thing to do is to visit these universities if at all possible so you can get a feel for them. It's very hard for anyone else to advise which one you might prefer as your priorities are likely to be very different to theirs.

If you haven't already it's a good idea to compare module content, contact hours, accommodation options and social life in the vicinity of the university.

Thank you for your advice I’ll be sure to take all of these points into account
Reply 8
Thank you
Original post by galai
Would u mind if I did? What was your favourite thing about studying there?

Of course nott. Ask away x. I really like how interesting the courseworks are. They’re all so different. and how much help you get ( A lot!!). I think research methods is very fun. Neither the courseworks or the exams are difficult (coming from someone who hardly ever studies) s

Quick Reply

Latest