A Level English Literature Watch

ElectricOceans
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I just want to ask a few questions about A Level English Literature. In September I’m going to hopefully begin an AS Level in English Literature on AQA, not sure yet whether its specification A or B but I know that’s the exam board. I just wanted to know before I start the course what revision guides/textbooks are good to use for notes, reference and exam practice? What novels, plays and poets do you usually study on AQA? What’s the percentage for coursework and exam? Will I get more freedom to what I read or will everything stick to a syllabus?
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The syllabus is changing from September, so I doubt anybody will really know what's on the syllabus now.

I don't know if the A2 year will be same in the new syllabus', but in our A2 year we are encouraged to read a lot outside of class now, to help with the synoptic etc
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
I'll be doing AQA English Literature also next year. It is 40% coursework which will be based on one novel and one play, and 60% exam which will be open book, not annotated. Sorry that's all I know, but I'm sure if you have a look on the AQA website you can find out more.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by piece_by_piece)
I'll be doing AQA English Literature also next year. It is 40% coursework which will be based on one novel and one play, and 60% exam which will be open book, not annotated. Sorry that's all I know, but I'm sure if you have a look on the AQA website you can find out more.
Really? That sounds... really easy (or simple at least). For our AS we did coursework (30%), an exam for a novel (closed book) (30%) and then a final exam on a play and poetry (open book) (40%).
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
(Original post by inksplodge)
The syllabus is changing from September, so I doubt anybody will really know what's on the syllabus now.

I don't know if the A2 year will be same in the new syllabus', but in our A2 year we are encouraged to read a lot outside of class now, to help with the synoptic etc
Are you on AQA?
What did you do on your syllabus?
Just so it gives me some idea, might not be the same but at least I have some idea to what I may be doing.
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Really? That sounds... really easy (or simple at least). For our AS we did coursework (30%), an exam for a novel (closed book) (30%) and then a final exam on a play and poetry (open book) (40%).
My teacher says that it is much simpler than the current syllabus!
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ElectricOceans)
Are you on AQA?
What did you do on your syllabus?
Just so it gives me some idea, might not be the same but at least I have some idea to what I may be doing.
AQA A
We did Shakespeare for coursework (30%)... there were a range of novels for the novel-based exam (30%), and the play and poetry were worth 40%, but open book & annotations allowed.
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
That’s not to bad then, I thought we’d be studying more than one novel and play for the coursework units though. I may take a look at the AQA website and see if I can find out more.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My teacher says that it is much simpler than the current syllabus!
It seems it. :p: I can't imagine doing the course any other way than I've done it now, though!
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I’m surprised that we will only be studying one play and novel for the coursework but I suppose it all depends on how in-depth it goes. The old syllabus is beginning to sound a little better to be honest.
shootbangfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sounds very different to the course I did (AQA B). Having said that, I really enjoyed the course, particularly the first year texts (Death of a salesman for the second time and great gatsby), and as it's the same board, I'm sure they'll keep something of the essence of the thing. it's a really enjoyable A level to do, plus I had great teachers. York notes can help for some pre 1800 texts, but really you just need your course texts, good notes etc.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That’s exactly what I was thinking. I’m surprised that we will only be studying one play and novel for the coursework but I suppose it all depends on how in-depth it goes. The old syllabus is beginning to sound a little better to be honest.
I am glad it was only one novel, two plays, and poetry for us... Otherwise, I think it would've been too hard to try and get top marks. You've really got to follow the assessment objectives to get good marks, however.

I know AQA B, for the novel exam it was open-book, the play & poetry was closed book. Sounded pretty harsh. I really like the spec I'm doing.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shootbangfire)
Sounds very different to the course I did (AQA B). Having said that, I really enjoyed the course, particularly the first year texts (Death of a salesman for the second time and great gatsby), and as it's the same board, I'm sure they'll keep something of the essence of the thing. it's a really enjoyable A level to do, plus I had great teachers. York notes can help for some pre 1800 texts, but really you just need your course texts, good notes etc.
My friend did those texts & that spec, and he hated it so much :eek:!
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
It seems it. :p: I can't imagine doing the course any other way than I've done it now, though!
The other way seems better to me but I shall see.
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
I did AQA A for GCSE English Literature and I really enjoyed the course. Some of the anthology work was a little dull but it seemed like a good exam board to be on for English. I heard WJEC isn’t as structured or it may have been something else but I heard one of the exam boards is quite bad for English so hopefully AQA will be as good as it was for English at GCSE.
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
I hope I get to study Carol Ann Duffy as one of the poets, I don't like all her work but she seems like an interesting poet to study. I did Seamus Heaney for GCSE and I didn’t really take a huge interest in his work. He’s a good poet but I wouldn’t like to study his poems on to AS or A2. I also did Gillian Clarke and I quite liked her work but I haven’t heard of her being studied at A level.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hope I get to study Carol Ann Duffy as one of the poets, I don't like all her work but she seems like an interesting poet to study. I did Seamus Heaney for GCSE and I didn’t really take a huge interest in his work. He’s a good poet but I wouldn’t like to study his poems on to AS or A2. I also did Gillian Clarke and I quite liked her work but I haven’t heard of her being studied at A level.
We did her for poetry this year. I don't know if she's going to be on the new syllabus but ugh it was annoying :mad: lol
shootbangfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friend did those texts & that spec, and he hated it so much :eek:!
Well, there you go, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.
ElectricOceans
Rep:
?
We did her for poetry this year. I don't know if she's going to be on the new syllabus but ugh it was annoying :mad: lol
I think she'd be a good poet to study, although I don't like all of her collection but I'd just like a change from Seamus Heaney.
Stace-is-Ace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it's fair to make english people study Heaney too much...I think he's a good poet but so much of his work is driven by what happened here in NI so it's probably hard for English pupils to understand...I mean...I'm from here and I study History and I still don't really get it! Hehe!

Our exam board did give us Heaney for AS but that was the first time we'd had to study him for an exam...it was CCEA though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads