Feeling very depressed about studies... Advice needed. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I don’t really want to have to explain my full circumstances here. But due to illness (and accidental overdose of hormonal drugs) I have missed most of my first GCSE year. I cannot defer them because I think this is the last year of the specific syllabus. Besides, I don’t want to defer them. I want to start sixth form in 2009 with my friends.

But at the same time I am so worried! If I spend every single day of the summer holidays studying and doing c/w, then will I be able to catch up in time for September?

I am doing eight GCSEs, but have already finished one (Sociology) early in the year. I now have English Language and Lit, Maths, History, Chemistry, Physics and Biology to do almost from scratch. The sad thing is, I am a very good student (straight A* from the c/w and work I have done so far).

My original ambition was to get eight A*s so I don’t have to give up my dream of going to a really good university.

What does everyone think? Is this still achievable?

I am feeling extremely low about this. Anon for obvious reasons... people I know read the forums.
anna_spanner89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you will

tbh with you yr10 is mainly spent doing coursework...

i found i pretty much re-learnt all of my yr10 content in december for the mocks, and then again in the summer for the exams...dont let your gcse's get you down, maybe try doing 6 instead??? reduce your workload, at the end of the day you only need 5...

PLUS, tsr would tell you a-levels are the main deciding point for unis..not gcse's. If you're intelligent and hard working you will manage it, don't set your sights too high though, set them so they're managable
snorty_swirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if you are motivated enough to put the work in then you can acheive it, however it may mean sacrificing large chunks of your social life.
Good luck
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should be fine, I agree that year ten is covered at the offset of year 11 in revison/mocks and with your ability you should catch up fine.

Dont forget to rest over the holidays! this is just as important as revision and you should find a balance; especially due to your being ill.
Anonymous #1
Thanks.

I know I could drop one GCSE, but I fear it would stop the best universities from even looking at me, and I don't want that to happen. I have really high standards.
Anonymous #1
And I don't really care about my social life. I don't really have one at the moment, anyway.
username130457
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
Are you TheNightingale?
trefusis128
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Very few Universities will look deeply into you GCSE's; beyond Eng/Math and the subject you wish to take at any rate. You circumstances can easilly be explained and If you do half as good in you AS's as I think you could- youll be considered anywhere.
Redders
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say that it is still a realistic target without having to work really hard over the summer. Though I don't really see the need [To get 8 A*] a mix of A*s, A's and a couple of B's would not reduce your chances of getting into a really good University, it's much more about A-Levels, just relax abit, GCSE's dont really mean alot.
NotQuiteCornish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry to hear about your year. However, don't panic; Dr NQC is here!
Best advice I can give is as follows.

Simply fist of all, quit worrying. To get into Uni, you either need a certain amount of UCAS points or typically three A-levels of a certain grade. This is flexible usually; if you have had trouble during your studies they tend to make allowances. So to get to Uni, you need to get A-levels as a rule. GCSEs rarely come into it, so hopefully that's a load off your mind.

Secondly, most FE colleges are really flexible when it comes to interviews and grades. They tend to want simply students who can show they enjoy studying and are likely to put effort into their course. I reckon you can demonstrate that easily enough...maybe call the college of your choice on Monday and settle your nerves by running it past an admissions tutor?

Finally...don't give up, just work within your ability and don't push yourself too hard! I'm sure you can get some grades that truly reflect the effort you have put in. Just make sure you keep teachers and examiners informed of any reasons why you may be 'off colour'!

Good luck!
flecalicious
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know someone who got into Oxford University (yes, the Oxford) with a C and a D at GCSE, so I wouldn't worry about it too much
Anonymous #1
I sort of want to get all A*s from a personal perspective. I know that sounds pretentious, but I am sure some people will know what I mean…
Anonymous #1
And thanks for all the advice obviously, too! It makes me feel a bit better. I've been working very hard over these last few weeks, and I am willing to work HARD over the holidays if it means I'll get somewhere.

I've got about eight or nine pieces of c/w to finish, so hopefully if I can dig into a good chunk of that over the holidays then I should be all right.

As I said, my wanting 8 A*s is a personal thing. I was one of the annoying kids at primary school who used to cry if I got anything less than an A. Little has changed.
katerose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I sort of want to get all A*s from a personal perspective. I know that sounds pretentious, but I am sure some people will know what I mean…
I understand what you mean, but the trouble with this is that you're setting yourself up for burnout if you hammer this more than you have the patience for. I would aim high, of course, but don't proceed onto a protracted self-flagellation session if you don't quite get all A*. You simply don't need it to get to a good uni, even for Oxbridge, it just helps a little, and nothing that won't be offset by great A-Level grades with no resits and a good reference from your teachers. I would say that of course you can catch up over the summer - for anyone with half a brain GCSE's just aren't that hard - and the uni's won't look badly on you dropping one GCSE, most of them won't have a clue about how many people come out of your school with normally. Better to get a better average mark sacrificing one than an extra grade and worse overall. Sorry to hear that you've had such a bad time but I'm confident it's something you're more than able to fix, so long as you're realistic and fair to yourself about it
Dani1989
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You sound very determined to achieve your grades so I definitely think it's possible
Anonymous #1
Thanks. Yes, I am determined.

I just seems such a shame. I know I could have done it quite easily had I not been ill for most of year 10. But now it's going to be one hell of a struggle.
jazzyjelly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i know you are desperate for those grades, and do push yourself, but dont overload. I suffered from severe depression in year 10 and it really affected my studies, I ended up with 5 A's and 4 B's, which under the circumstances I am really proud of, and with my A level results can end up in a great uni.

However I'm sensing an oxbridge thing here (which im not heading for) so by all means try your hardest, but these sound like mitigating circumstances, and with good A level grades and a decent interview you can get in anyway.

All i'm saying is all these A*'s are not the be all and end all and putting too much pressure on yourself will make you overload and become unwell. Have you thought about a tutor, or advanced help from a school teacher? Attempting this alone is a big job!

Good luck and take care
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (362)
37.47%
No - but I will (74)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (67)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (463)
47.93%

Watched Threads