Would never vote Tory, but not liking Labour either? Watch

xx1t35
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I grew up in a very Labour central household. But I don't love some parts of the Labour party and I think their taxing can ruin the economy and may drive up unemployment. Saying that, I would NEVER vote Tory. They are just too privileged as they've had immaculate education from Eton to Oxford, they don't care about the NHS, or schools, or poor people. Is anyone else in the same position and they don't know who to vote for?
Also, I voted remain for Brexit!
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
the only way to break out of the current poltiical deadlock, is if people collectivly say **** you to the idea its just a choice between two.

That's what they are selling you, because it bennifits them, not you. Even if they loose, they still mantain their possition as one of the two main parties, if they convince you that they are the only two options.

Its partly our voting systems fault, but its also peoples fault for buying into it. There are many many parties - vote for one you actually support, not just one of the main two. Its like a lot of collective actions, it means nothing if you just do it - but if we all do, then change can happen.

Look at your local candidates once they are declared, and then see what each is offering. Maybe you have a smaller party that you actually agree with more.. Maybe you have a local indipendant who is standing up for your area etc. Find who you agree with and give them your vote.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xx1t35)
So I grew up in a very Labour central household. But I don't love some parts of the Labour party and I think their taxing can ruin the economy and may drive up unemployment. Saying that, I would NEVER vote Tory. They are just too privileged as they've had immaculate education from Eton to Oxford, they don't care about the NHS, or schools, or poor people. Is anyone else in the same position and they don't know who to vote for?
In fairness to the tories on that;
Labour is little better when it comes to their back grounds, its essentially a prerequisite for politicians.
It would seem slightly unfair though to judge them on something they had no say over i.e. the Public schooling of them.
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
I'm in the same dilemma as you. I do not want to vote Tory or Labour but my constituency us either Labour or Tory. Our current Tory MP has held her post since 2005 but recently Labour have gotten really close, they shared over 90% of the votes in 2017. So if I vote for a different party, I'm basically throwing away my vote.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
I'm in the same dilemma as you. I do not want to vote Tory or Labour but my constituency us either Labour or Tory. Our current Tory MP has held her post since 2005 but recently Labour have gotten really close, they shared over 90% of the votes in 2017. So if I vote for a different party, I'm basically throwing away my vote.
I disagree, no vote is a wasted one.
In 2015 I voted for UKIP purely on the basis that I wish to leave the EU and have been opposed to it since it's political birth, the party did not win in my constituency but as we know the votes for UKIP that year were heard loud and clear.
A protest vote can count even if it has no actual bearing on the final result.
xx1t35
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColinDent)
I disagree, no vote is a wasted one.
In 2015 I voted for UKIP purely on the basis that I wish to leave the EU and have been opposed to it since it's political birth, the party did not win in my constituency but as we know the votes for UKIP that year were heard loud and clear.
A protest vote can count even if it has no actual bearing on the final result.
You voted for a party that was founded on racism?! I get wanting to leave the EU, but voting for a racist party isn't the way to go. Do not vote UKIP- they are racist scum. Simple as.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Vote Lib Dem.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Or even better, Green.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Basically, you need to vote for whichever party will depose the Tories in your constituency. If that is Labour, then vote Labour. Their economic policies will not ruin the economy or drive up unemployment. That is just Tory propaganda.
xx1t35
Rep:
?
(Original post by Suchomimus)
Or even better, Green.
I think I'm leaning towards either Lib Dem or Green! I have a question - been so wrapped up in my personal life and disillusionised with politics in the face of Brexit, Lib Dem doesn't have that leader anymore that is against gay marriage right?!
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think I'm leaning towards either Lib Dem or Green! I have a question - been so wrapped up in my personal life and disillusionised with politics in the face of Brexit, Lib Dem doesn't have that leader anymore that is against gay marriage right?!
No. In fact, Jo Swinson almost always voted for gay marrige in parliment.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in a similar position except I would never vote Labour and disagree with the latest Brexit deal.
I don't want to see the leader of the opposition living at No 10.
My Remain supporting friends say that they are voting Lib Dem, unless they live in Brighton (Greens).
My Leave supporting friends are pretty much voting on the basis of Deal or No deal- Conservative for the deal, Brexit Party for no deal.
Suchomimus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I'm in a similar position except I would never vote Labour and disagree with the latest Brexit deal.
My Remain supporting friends say that they are voting Lib Dem, unless they live in Brighton (Greens).
My Leave supporting friends are pretty much voting on the basis of Deal or No deal- Conservative for the deal, Brexit Party for no deal.
I would listen to your Remain supporting friends. I think you will find that they are right!
xx1t35
Rep:
?
Okay well that's my vote then!
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by QE2)
Their economic policies will not ruin the economy or drive up unemployment. That is just Tory propaganda.
I disagree with you on that score.
A lot of employers, high earners and staff on zero hours contracts are terrified of the implications of the shadow cabinet getting into government.

I work three jobs; two employers have already announced redundancies and some staff relocation packages overseas if Labour win the election with a majority.
For context; at one workplace most of the partners are on six figure salaries, do their commute on helicopters & planes and are directly involved in at least six tax avoidance schemes at any one time.
Do you really think that they are going to risk sticking around in the UK if Labour win the election with a majority?
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
why never??
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You voted for a party that was founded on racism?! I get wanting to leave the EU, but voting for a racist party isn't the way to go. Do not vote UKIP- they are racist scum. Simple as.
I did it once as a protest vote and they were not founded on racism, but admittedly there were some racist elements amongst their numbers at one time.
The point I was trying to make was that there is no such thing as a wasted vote, to protest against the mainstream parties can produce results if enough people do it countrywide.
Also please do not tell people whom they can and cannot vote for, that is a matter for individuals to decide based on how they feel their concerns can best be addressed and at that time voting for UKIP was exactly the way to go as they were never going to win an election.
Last edited by ColinDent; 1 week ago
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
why never??
Totally different values, beliefs and priorities.
I have no time for identity politics- whether it is based upon social class, gender, ancestral heritage/race, religious or sexual preferences.
Don't much care for envy politics either.
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Totally different values, beliefs and priorities.
I have no time for identity politics- whether it is based upon social class, gender, ancestral heritage/race, religious or sexual preferences.
Don't much care for envy politics either.
Tories are also hugely into identity politics these days tho, it's not really limited to Labour party activist types.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Correct, the person in question was Tim Farron.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (133)
54.29%
18-20 years old (no) (29)
11.84%
20-25 years old (yes) (38)
15.51%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.63%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.35%