Would never vote Tory, but not liking Labour either? Watch

annaxbriege
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xx1t35)
So I grew up in a very Labour central household. But I don't love some parts of the Labour party and I think their taxing can ruin the economy and may drive up unemployment. Saying that, I would NEVER vote Tory. They are just too privileged as they've had immaculate education from Eton to Oxford, they don't care about the NHS, or schools, or poor people. Is anyone else in the same position and they don't know who to vote for?
Also, I voted remain for Brexit!
I think its safest to place a 'tactical vote'- others on this thread have shown their support for the Lib Dems but as they have shown in the past they can't always keep their electoral promises when they are in power. A Lib Dem government would certainly be a change and maybe, under Jo Swinson, they would deliver on stopping Brexit, but you also need to consider their positions on certain issues outside of the Brexit debate. It would be useless to vote for a party to be in government for the next five years if their whole campaign is based on remaining in the EU. What happens afterwards if Brexit isn't delivered?
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can tell you not to vote for a racist party that would negatively affect me. They campaigned to get me and my family thrown out of our own country? So yeah. Get off my thread
How did UKIP campaign to get you removed from your own country?
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer to that question mate.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer to that question mate.
No, I think you are right
xx1t35
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Is it just me that remembers the migrant poster? And that wasn’t a campaign to get foreign people out? Lol
xx1t35
Rep:
?
No, I think you are right
Sweetie just cause I have a life and didn’t reply within the first three seconds doesn’t mean I don’t have an answer. Here you are, defending a racist. Have a nice day lmao
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sweetie just cause I have a life and didn’t reply within the first three seconds doesn’t mean I don’t have an answer. Here you are, defending a racist. Have a nice day lmao
How lovely and condenseding. Please let's be factual, civil and respectful to eachother, tolerance is a great thing you dont appear to be showing, let's start again shall we?

Who do you deam to be a racist and how am I defending them?

Is it just me that remembers the migrant poster? And that wasn’t a campaign to get foreign people out? Lol
So you believe that a crass and provocative poster was trying to get you removed from your own country? How so?

Can you detail the UKIP policy that was going to be implemented to negatively effect your life?

Can you tell me what country UKIP wish to deport you too, if this is your country how can you be sent home?
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 1 week ago
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MrMusician95)
I'm in the same dilemma as you. I do not want to vote Tory or Labour but my constituency us either Labour or Tory. Our current Tory MP has held her post since 2005 but recently Labour have gotten really close, they shared over 90% of the votes in 2017. So if I vote for a different party, I'm basically throwing away my vote.
Maybe, but there may be 20,000 others in your constituency who feel the same but do not use their vote as they really feel as they feel it will be wasted, but if all 20,000 actually voted as they believed maybe the unthinkable happens. I am no paragon of virtue on this, I have spent years voting for parties to stop/prevent something else, but unless people actually do vote as they believe the two party system in the UK will prevail forever.

Remember, at one time Labour were also rans and Tories and Liberals were the only parties that could win, well that changed, so whilst the change is unlikely one ought not to merely say, it is hopeless, and ignore trying to get what one wants. (To be clear I am a Lib Dem member but this point applies if you believe in The Brexit Party, the SNP, Greens, anyone, if you act as I did many times, Labour to stop SNP etc, you really do yourself a disservice)
xx1t35
Rep:
?
How lovely and condenseding. Please let's be factual, civil and respectful to eachother, tolerance is a great thing you dont appear to be showing, let's start again shall we?

Who do you deam to be a racist and how am I defending them?

So you believe that a crass and provocative poster was trying to get you removed from your own country? How so?

Can you detail the UKIP policy that was going to be implemented to negatively effect your life?

Can you tell me what country UKIP wish to deport you too, if this is your country how can you be sent home?
They were campaigning for migrants to go home. Most of them weren’t even illegal. My dad got beat up in a pub by a UKIP supporter in 2016. Can you white people on TSR stop defending such trash? If you wanna be racist go ahead but seriously get the **** off my page.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If there is no one worth voting for... dont.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They were campaigning for migrants to go home. Most of them weren’t even illegal. My dad got beat up in a pub by a UKIP supporter in 2016. Can you white people on TSR stop defending such trash? If you wanna be racist go ahead but seriously get the **** off my page.
They did not campaign for migrants to go home, I'm afraid that you are misinformed on that front.
And as I have already said it is unfortunate that certain types attached themselves to UKIP and they were/are scum, but the vast majority of people who voted for UKIP were ordinary people wanting to make their voices heard and as such it is wrong to label us all as racist because of the actions of a few.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Normally I would break down that highlighting the inaccuracies and avoiding of questions, but I'm guessing you are very young so I'm going to cut you some slack.

The problem with illiberal bigotry like you have shown towards me, is you fail to ever discover reality, thus isolate yourself from reality and become more bigoted. I might be black, I might be half cast, I might be from a immigrant family, I might be a former member of the Labour party who campaigned against UKIP and currently I might be struggling with the same issues you are , .i.e Don't want to but vote Tory but not liking Labour either. You will never know because of your bigotry.

I can assure you I am 3 of the above things, which proves how bigotry you show limits you're view and devalues you're opinions.
(Original post by mojojojo101)
If there is no one worth voting for... dont.
I'm not so sure this is a good plan, everyone that doesn't vote allows the status quo of nobody who is worth voting for to continue mate.
Alesha1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JanusGodofDoors)
Liberal Democrat’s would probably be your best bet. Socially more liberal than the conservatives, but more moderate on economic policy than Labour. It kind of looks like they’re going to have a fairly good year as well. It’s impossible to find the perfect party that supports all of your preferred policies though. Definitely used to feel like this, kind of drifted between the more liberal parties, but I ultimately settled on Labour, even though I disagree with a lot of their policies, because I disagree with the policies of other parties even more.
I'm leaning more towards the Lib Dems at the moment, even though don't agree with everything they say, because they're probably the closest to my views in general. I class myself as very liberal on social issues but more towards the centre on economic ones. I've voted Labour before but don't like some of the things which are going on with them at the moment. Also I voted Green in the last local elections- I actually knew the candidate so that swayed me and I have strong views on environmentalism and animal welfare so the Greens appeal to me in that sense. Some of their policies are too far left for my liking though, so I probably wouldn't vote Green in a general election.
kawaii sashimi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So I grew up in a very Labour central household. But I don't love some parts of the Labour party and I think their taxing can ruin the economy and may drive up unemployment. Saying that, I would NEVER vote Tory. They are just too privileged as they've had immaculate education from Eton to Oxford, they don't care about the NHS, or schools, or poor people. Is anyone else in the same position and they don't know who to vote for?
I totally understand and am in the same boat! Until recently, I thought I'd always go for labour and have been brought up in a very labour central house and area, but lately I'm not okay with some parts of labour either, and I've always despised the Tories. It's going to be the first time I can legally vote too (finally!) , so I'm excited, but really confused on who to vote for. I feel like I want to vote for the green party, but then I dont know much about them, (I need to read up on the parties' different manifestos and stuff) and dont know if theres a point since it usually ends up being between labour and the conservatives anyway.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Normally I would break down that highlighting the inaccuracies and avoiding of questions, but I'm guessing you are very young so I'm going to cut you some slack.

The problem with illiberal bigotry like you have shown towards me, is you fail to ever discover reality, thus isolate yourself from reality and become more bigoted. I might be black, I might be half cast, I might be from a immigrant family, I might be a former member of the Labour party who campaigned against UKIP and currently I might be struggling with the same issues you are , .i.e Don't want to but vote Tory but not liking Labour either. You will never know because of your bigotry.

I can assure you I am 3 of the above things, which proves how bigotry you show limits you're view and devalues you're opinions.

I'm not so sure this is a good plan, everyone that doesn't vote allows the status quo of nobody who is worth voting for to continue mate.
But if you do vote you are actively endorsing the status quo.

I'd also argue that voting for something that you dont believe in or someone who doesn't represent your views undermines the very core principles of a democracy.

I of course dont think that but voting should be the only action you take. Politics is bigger than just voting. Make it known that you are unhappy and why. Take direct action.
wishiwerenthere
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lib Dem
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't bother voting.

Your vote is worthless if you don't vote labour or con and libdem has no chance of winning your constituency. You'd have better luck making a difference going outside no. 10 and screaming like a lunatic.

You're essentially wasting your own time and that of the people counting your ballot, because the voting system in this country is broken to protect the interests of tories and labour.
ساره
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah a little but I know which parties I’m not going to vote for.
xx1t35
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColinDent)
They did not campaign for migrants to go home, I'm afraid that you are misinformed on that front.
And as I have already said it is unfortunate that certain types attached themselves to UKIP and they were/are scum, but the vast majority of people who voted for UKIP were ordinary people wanting to make their voices heard and as such it is wrong to label us all as racist because of the actions of a few.
Why do you want to leave the EU? Most people who voted UKIP can’t even name any EU laws but they swear it isn’t to get foreign people out. I don’t know any UKIP voter who has a valid reason why they want to leave the EU. I’m not buying the ‘we want control of our fishing’ like no one cares about that, it’s just an excuse for racism! Sorry
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why do you want to leave the EU? Most people who voted UKIP can’t even name any EU laws but they swear it isn’t to get foreign people out. I don’t know any UKIP voter who has a valid reason why they want to leave the EU. I’m not buying the ‘we want control of our fishing’ like no one cares about that, it’s just an excuse for racism! Sorry
I'm opposed to the EU as a political block, I believe that the direction it is heading is towards becoming a federal superstate which I also oppose, I do oppose unfettered immigration of low paid workers, however I do not have any issues with any single person that chooses to do so it is the system that is the problem.
You will probably not see those things as an issue but I do so that is why I wish for us to leave the EU but to incorrectly shout racist is a weak argument that does not address the point.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (12)
30%
Spring (6)
15%
Autumn/Fall (10)
25%
Winter (8)
20%
I love them all equally (4)
10%