ThatOneGuy29200
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm looking to apply to computer science at Uni and was wondering whether I should pick a bachelors degree or Masters. Initially I hadn't even considered masters and to be honest I don't want to spend another year studying ,but now that I found out some jobs require a masters degree, and was wondering if i should rethink my decision. Also would it be possible to complete a bachelors and then do a masters degree? I've heard this is possible but at UCL for example its more expensive , an MSc would total (3x9,250)+13,640 , as opposed to a MEng which would be (4*9,250), Now I'm aware these are different courses but they are fairly similar in what I'm looking to study.
Shimo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've never heard of it costing more, but normally you can decide whether you want to switch from the BSc to the MSci at the start of your third year/end of second year, you can switch from either, but it's generally easier to go from an MSci to a BSc.
D_DanZo_H
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I just made a post relevant to this, then when searching it I found yours. Do the Master's, it's easier and it's deemed as a better qualification... https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...sters%20easier
D_DanZo_H
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by D_DanZo_H)
I just made a post relevant to this, then when searching it I found yours. Do the Master's, it's easier and it's deemed as a better qualification... https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...sters%20easier
It's easier because you only need an average of 40% on that master's year and you will have acquired a better qualification than someone who has worked thier arse off trying to achieve a first in 3 years. It's weird, I know, I wish somebody could explain this to me.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by D_DanZo_H)
It's easier because you only need an average of 40% on that master's year and you will have acquired a better qualification than someone who has worked thier arse off trying to achieve a first in 3 years. It's weird, I know, I wish somebody could explain this to me.
Also ThatOneGuy29200

I think there are some massive confusions going on in this thread - unless I've missed something.

A Bachelors degree is a prerequisite to doing a Masters degree in anything other than very specific circumstances.

The more common incidence is the integrated or undergraduate Masters. That's the MSci, MEng mentioned above. There, you apply through the undergrad process, but can automatically get on an undergrad course that leads to the masters year. You don't actually graduate from the Bachelors element, you proceed directly to the Masters element.

Very, very occasionally, if you've got very substantial professional experience, a university will allow you to do a Masters if you don't have an undergraduate degree. But you'd need 15+ years of working, several published books etc, ie a substantial record of achievement in the same area.

Otherwise, the standard process is to apply for a Bachelors degree, send 3 years doing that, then separately apply for a standalone Masters degree and end up with 2 degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 15 Nov '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19
  • University of Roehampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Nov '19

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (23)
63.89%
No (13)
36.11%

Watched Threads