AlexanderIoa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am currently in year 11 (GCSE) and I have a few options for my A-level choices and I need help narrowing them down to three choices. I would like to study law at Cambridge and my options for A-level are History and Religious Studies (which are more or less set in stone for me). My issue is that I do not know what my third option should be, between: English Literature, Government and Politics, and Classics. I don't like English Literature but I know it is most respected, Government and Politics doesn't interest me and I know you need a passion for it to do well ,and Classics seems too similar to history.
Last edited by AlexanderIoa; 3 months ago
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
English literature is more of a solid choice and will be a bit more respected than the other options for your third subject. Equally, you do also have to balance that with where you'll likely do best - but if you think you can get at least an A in English lit/are on track for top grades in it at GCSE, take that.
E3student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by AlexanderIoa)
I am currently in year 11 (GCSE) and I have a few options for my A-level choices and I need help narrowing them down to three choices. I would like to study law at Cambridge and my options for A-level are History and Religious Studies (which are more or less set in stone for me). My issue is that I do not know what my third option should be, between: English Literature, Government and Politics, and Classics.
All three of those a levels would be good choices but maybe English literature would give you more practice in writing essays as I’m sure you would have to do lots of writing in a law degree.

Would you consider doing 4 a levels and dropping one at the end of year 12?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am currently in year 11 (GCSE) and I have a few options for my A-level choices and I need help narrowing them down to three choices. I would like to study law at Cambridge and my options for A-level are History and Religious Studies (which are more or less set in stone for me). My issue is that I do not know what my third option should be, between: English Literature, Government and Politics, and Classics.
Isn't Religious Studies considered a "soft subject" and therefore isn't as credible when applying for Oxbridge universities?

I would probably go for History, English Lit and Classics. All strong subjects. But I would perhaps, if possible throw in a science such as Biology. Ofc, if you don't like any of the Sciences, then stick with the trio I suggested.

I wouldn't go for RS. If it was the Philosophy A-level then for it. But not RS.
AlexanderIoa
Rep:
?
(Original post by E3student)
All three of those a levels would be good choices but maybe English literature would give you more practice in writing essays as I’m sure you would have to do lots of writing in a law degree.

Would you consider doing 4 a levels and dropping one at the end of year 12?
I don't think I would consider doing 4 a levels then dropping one because it doesn't exactly seem necessary and doesn't seem like it will make much of a difference besides extra unnecessary work for my first year.
AlexanderIoa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
English literature is more of a solid choice and will be a bit more respected than the other options for your third subject. Equally, you do also have to balance that with where you'll likely do best - but if you think you can get at least an A in English lit/are on track for top grades in it at GCSE, take that.
I feel like I could get at least an A in all three of those options, so if Lit is going to be more respected then that seems like the smarter option. However I don't particularly enjoy English Literature, I don't have a passion for Politics and I feel like classics is too similar to history.
AlexanderIoa
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Isn't Religious Studies considered a "soft subject" and therefore isn't as credible when applying for Oxbridge universities?

I would probably go for History, English Lit and Classics. All strong subjects. But I would perhaps, if possible throw in a science such as Biology. Ofc, if you don't like any of the Sciences, then stick with the trio I suggested.

Religious Studies includes philosophy of religion, ethics and New Testament studies, so wouldn't it be the same as the philosophy a level as it incorporates philosophy. So would it be a soft subject?
Last edited by AlexanderIoa; 3 months ago
Siobha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

I don't quite understand the reasoning here- People are dissuaded from taking 3+ 'soft' subjects at a level if they wish to go to Oxbridge, but taking one soft subject and 2 hard subjects isnt uncommon and doesn't really disadvantage you (at least not for arts/humanities based degrees)

OP, I do agree English Lit would be a great fit, just make sure you'll be happy enough taking it for 2 years!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No, all unis that list their preferred A level subjects allow RS. See LSEs list below (under subject combinations). RS is actually a good subject for Law

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...ns-Information
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Religious Studies includes philosophy of religion, ethics and New Testament studies, so wouldn't it be the same as the philosophy a level as it incorporates philosophy. So would it be a soft subject?
I studied RS at A-level and minored in Philosophy at uni.

No. Philosophy A-level is pure philosophy. I believe they only share one similar topic to RS which would be Philosophy of Religion. A-level RS is about philosophy and ethics and their application to a religion. A-level Philosophy involves topics like Philosophy of Language, etc.

It's a really good subject. RS is incredibly difficult but really enjoyable!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?