How can we tackle knife crime? Watch

Have Your Say
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
A spate of knife attacks has left 18 teenagers dead in London alone this year. How can we dissuade young people from carrying knives?

Last week hundreds of young people marched through north London to protest against knife crime following the death of 16-year-old Ben Kinsella.

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner has vowed to step up police efforts in combating the problem. Sir Ian Blair said the whole community of London needed to reach out to young people to help them to get rid of knives.

According to the British Crime Survey overall violent crime has decreased by 41% since a peak in 1995 - but the figures do not include under-16s.

Why are young people carrying knives? How can the community help? Can protests against knife crime make a difference? What other measures would help? What are your experiences?
Poldev
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I Think you should watch 'Kids,Knives and Broken Lives'!
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP, this news is already almost a week old. There has been a thread on this.
jacy_babi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I really believe this could be solved by making parents more involved in their children's lives and instilling compassion and morals in their children.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is little the gov't can do about it. Legalising non lethal self defense stuff like pepper spray would undoubtably save lives, but aside from that... blanket banning knives is stupid, unenforcable and ignores the fact that stabbing people is already banned. Responsibility begins with parents in this case.
chriise
Report 10 years ago
put more serious criminals into jails longer, and less serious (driving offences etc) in jail for shorter. Lower the legal age of 'imprisonment' to about 12, making them spend in "bording-school type prisons" for whole educations, rather than just 4-6 months.. yup, I just thought about that.
Adam83
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
abolish everything nulabour have done.
much tougher prison sentancing.
reform prisons.
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adam83)
abolish everything nulabour have done.
much tougher prison sentancing.
reform prisons.
I'm sorry, I just can't take anyone who uses 'nulabour' as some kind of witty pejorative seriously.
funkypish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Has anybody noticed that since the press have stopped harping on about gun crime it has reduced? The same thing will happen with knives... the percieved fear will reduce and so people won't carry weapons as much.
quizster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Tough jain setances for anyone carrying a nice, its not rocket science. The only reason someone carries a knife is to do harm to another person, none of this self defence BS.

And I agree, I am sure the media, is making youths more aware of knifes, and those who are easily influenced may start to carry a knife due to the media reports, whether it be to "fit in" or because they are evil I am not sure.
yesboss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
longer sentences for a start. a life sentence should be a life sentence, not 14 ****ing years...what kinda deterrent is that? say you're 21 or something and go into prison for 14 years for murdering someone, you come out when you're 35 if not before....you've still got most of you're life ahead of you

and yeah if you're caught with a knife you should be locked up...simple
yesboss
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by funkypish)
Has anybody noticed that since the press have stopped harping on about gun crime it has reduced? The same thing will happen with knives... the percieved fear will reduce and so people won't carry weapons as much.
when was there ever a lot of gun crime?
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
Did anyone else see the article in The Guardian about taking the spiked tips off knives in order to stop them hurting people? It might seem like a good idea but then people would just slash each other's throats.
Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Make it illegal for men to use knives. It's okay for women (in the kitchen and stuff) but men start to hate on each other and get all violent generally. :yep:
Crystaltears
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mastermind`)
Make it illegal for men to use knives. It's okay for women (in the kitchen and stuff) but men start to hate on each other and get all violent generally. :yep:
It's illegal to stab people anyway, so the only thing that would acheive is giving men an excuse to even less housework. :rolleyes:
Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Crystaltears)
It's illegal to stab people anyway, so the only thing that would acheive is giving men an excuse to even less housework. :rolleyes:
Which means I'd be better off as I hate doing housework. :yeah:
Crystaltears
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mastermind`)
Which means I'd be better off as I hate doing housework. :yeah:
So do most women lol!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads