Tennis games Watch

LazyLuke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Wimbledon season has got me all rattled up to play tennis (ugh, not the real kind, of course) and so I need to choose between two games: Top Spin 3 and Virtua Tennis 3. What do you guys reckon is the better choice? Or perhaps any other nominations...?
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You've been watching too much tennis.
Poldev
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^definitely, but anyway, top spin 3!!!
LazyLuke
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lothar Warlock)
You've been watching too much tennis.
I figure it's too late to start training to beat Federer in real life, so this is my next best choice!
GYinWL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LazyLuke)
Wimbledon season has got me all rattled up to play tennis (ugh, not the real kind, of course) and so I need to choose between two games: Top Spin 3 and Virtua Tennis 3. What do you guys reckon is the better choice? Or perhaps any other nominations...?
Top Spin 3 is meant to be the more realistic simulator of tennis, whereas Virtua Tennis 3 is more arcade like. So you can make your choice according to how serious a game of tennis you want to play. I bought Virtua Tennis 3 when it first came out - thought is was awesome! Will get around to getting Top Spin 3 eventually...
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mario Tennis (64).
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
Mario Tennis (64).
Now that was class. Although most games on the N64 were, to be fair.
jumpinglunch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What platform.....

Virtua 3 is the only contender for pc...but it suffers from problems with ATI cards and bad controls.

Topspin has the edge for consoles.
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonnyofengland)
Now that was class. Although most games on the N64 were, to be fair.
Thank God for Project 64.
dag
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
on xbox360 there is

topspin 2
topspin 3
Virtua tennis 3
Sega superstars tennis
smash court tennis 3 (soon)

Take your pick... I own virtua tennis 3 and sega superstars tennis, virtua is alot better, but i heard topspin 3 is better and alot harder too.
Nayberay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I prefer Virtua to Topspin IMo but each to their own
Rob801
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've just got Top Spin 3 and from what I've played of it it's a great game. I haven't tried Virtua Tennis so I can't compare the two, but I'll definitely recommend Top Spin 3 as the best tennis game I've played.

ps. get the PS3 version and then you can play as Nadal, he's not available on any of the other versions :p:
LazyLuke
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rob801)
I've just got Top Spin 3 and from what I've played of it it's a great game. I haven't tried Virtua Tennis so I can't compare the two, but I'll definitely recommend Top Spin 3 as the best tennis game I've played.

ps. get the PS3 version and then you can play as Nadal, he's not available on any of the other versions :p:

Thanks for the advice. But what I'm a bit concerned about is playing with my friends; is Top Spin 3 enough of a 'pick-up-and-play' game for me and some friends to play together? I know it's difficult and so I wouldn't have thought so...

From what I've played in the past (old games in the series) Virtua Tennis 3 seems to be a lot easier for beginners to get right in.
Rob801
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LazyLuke)
Thanks for the advice. But what I'm a bit concerned about is playing with my friends; is Top Spin 3 enough of a 'pick-up-and-play' game for me and some friends to play together? I know it's difficult and so I wouldn't have thought so...

From what I've played in the past (old games in the series) Virtua Tennis 3 seems to be a lot easier for beginners to get right in.
I didn't find it hard to get to grips with. The main controls are extremely easy to use (x: flat shot, circle: top spin, square: slice, triangle: lob/drop shot). The AI can be pretty hard to beat on higher levels, but on the lower levels you can easily get a good game against them. I would say it's not very hard to play as a first time user, for example if you don't try advanced serves it's almost impossible to serve a fault and it doesn't take very long (a few balls at most) to start being able to do more of the advanced stuff (like manual serves, power shots, close to the line shots, etc.).
LazyLuke
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rob801)
I didn't find it hard to get to grips with. The main controls are extremely easy to use (x: flat shot, circle: top spin, square: slice, triangle: lob/drop shot). The AI can be pretty hard to beat on higher levels, but on the lower levels you can easily get a good game against them. I would say it's not very hard to play as a first time user, for example if you don't try advanced serves it's almost impossible to serve a fault and it doesn't take very long (a few balls at most) to start being able to do more of the advanced stuff (like manual serves, power shots, close to the line shots, etc.).

Thanks Rob!
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Virtua Tennis always seems to be good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads