Does it improve your chances of getting into a university if a parent is an alumni? Watch

Danomind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I want to get into Oxford, and my mom is an alumni of St Hughs college. Would it improve my chances of admission if I mention that? Would it be better if I apply for St Hughes too or would it only be beneficial to that college (I haven't decided which college to apply fo)
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It certainly won't help you if you can't spell "alumna". And no, I'd like to think the college system was fair enough not to allow this kind of nepotism.
Poldev
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Duh?
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No it wouldn't. My aunt is an Oxford bachelor, masters AND DPhil graduate, and she now has 2 important positions: head of the UK engineering and research council, and a member of the Oxford admissions team. Will she help give me an offer? Of course not, and I daren't ask.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt it will help you at all.
The people who interview you won't have heard of your parents anyway!
jakeee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, it does. A friend of mine got into Thames Valley because his nan graduated from there a couple of years ago.
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it does.
King4eva
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jakeee)
Yeah, it does. A friend of mine got into Thames Valley because his nan graduated from there a couple of years ago.
thats thames valley b
123monster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I heard that even though in the USA it's an advantage... in the UK it's a disadvantage... and that mentioning it can give them a reason not to accept you...
Laus
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
No.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 123monster)
I heard that even though in the USA it's an advantage... in the UK it's a disadvantage... and that mentioning it can give them a reason not to accept you...
Very true. You know Yale? you'll have a free ticket there if your family holds a powerful position/are rich.
Louisdf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well my Dad got a degree (2:1) at Bristol in 1973, and when I applied I never got an offer, so no.
Garden_Gnome
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not all all. They won't take too kindly to you mentioning it in a personal statement or interview.
Lothar Warlock
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They'll reject you automatically for even mentioning it in your PS.
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you were to get in, you'd think your chances had been somehow elevated by this 'advantage', having a relative who's an alumna of the college, and be bound to tell people about how your 'connections' got you in.

This would inevitably get to the press somehow, especially if you're shouting it from the rooftops and posting it on TSR (which the BBC watch like a hawk, just waiting for controversy).

Oxford doesn't need that kind of press, so they really would be likely to just reject you for it. If you do get in, it's down to your ability.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I heard that some colleges prefer *not* to know at all...so that if you *are* a very good candidate and deserve an offer, they can't be accused of nepotism when giving you one.
Who'd want to get into university on their parents' backs anyway? That's embarrassing-having to rely on Mummy and Daddy for it...
I'd far rather get rejected from somewhere, knowing that I did my best, than get in and live with the fact that it was only family influence that got me a place for the rest of my life.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Only in 'The History Boys'
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lothar Warlock)
They'll reject you automatically for even mentioning it in your PS.
And the other unis you apply to will probably also reject you.
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
Only in 'The History Boys'
Lol, o yeah.
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it did I'd be pleased as I'm **** scared of not getting in.
My daddy went to... somewhere then UEA and worked at City and my mummy went to NOrth London polytechnic, both for electronic engineering/physicsy thingies.
I want to do Hebrew studies.
It wouldn't help me even if it did make a difference
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads