How do you like your cardio? (hold the mayonnaise) Watch

Poll: When running/jogging you usually...
...use the treadmill without an MP3 player (18)
18.75%
...use the treadmill with an MP3 player (41)
42.71%
...run outside without an MP3 player (12)
12.5%
...run outside with an MP3 player (25)
26.04%
LazyLuke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Cardio training is a necessity in every balanced fitness regime, but it is not always enjoyable. I started this thread for people to list some tips and tricks that help them make cardio slip by at a less agonising pace.

Also take part in the poll if you like.
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
when doing cardio make sure its HIIT. Makes the time go by so quickly when you are working your body hard.
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I use the rowing machine a fair amount. Keep myself distracted by looking in mirror and focusing on technique. Other than that just stare at the counter and keep a steady pace. I dont use an mp3 player.
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do interval training on the cross trainer 2-3 times a week and listen to my Ipod. I usually quite enjoy it unless I'm knackered for some reason, which makes it seem longer! I do use the treadmill twice a week and try to do HIIT for a short time. I'm always looking at the speed I'm going at as I like going certain speeds during interval training :rolleyes:
Aemiliana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't like treadmills - I'm very likely to fall off them lol. I do interval training on the X trainer. I would listen to my MP3 player, but I don't have an armband for it, so I can't. I try to watch the TVs instead, but they're not on the wall that all the equipment faces (well, it is a glass wall). So people end up staring at me thinking that I'm watching them, but they soon realise I'm not when they turn around and realise that whatever programme is on...Then they watch it too
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do a variety - long runs, short runs, HIIT, swimming (slow endurance swimming, fast sprint sets of swimming). I also have recently started to go on long walks which usually are around 10miles and knacker me rotten!
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I love cardio

I tend to go to the gym for an hour when I do go, and it's a mix of the sitting back cycle machine, the rowing, treadmill and crosstrainer. Usually do 20 minutes each of 3 of the above. I use an mp3 player on all but the rowing, mainly cos the headphones fall out too much on that and you can't really stop to sort it out.

Because I enjoy it, time going by isn't really an issue, and I've been working on running when on the treadmill - can't go for more than I think 5 minutes running at the moment but working on it and doing intervals between running and walking helps it go quicker.

When on the crosstrainer I find it helps to talk to someone, so you're not focussing so much on the pain lol.

On most of the equipment there's a place to set your mp3 player, so that's not so much of an issue for me
Aemiliana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
On most of the equipment there's a place to set your mp3 player, so that's not so much of an issue for me
There are places to put it, but the headphones wouldn't be long enough lol.
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like running on the treadmill and outside. Running outside is much more interesting but you have cars and roads to contend with, whereas on the treadmill you can keep a much better eye on your pace and keeping it constant (which is probably more beneficial for me at the minute as I'm getting my 1.5mile run time down)
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My gym have TVs built into the equipment.. So I usually watch This Morning (Rock on) or MTV. xD
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by steffi.alexa)
There are places to put it, but the headphones wouldn't be long enough lol.
oh, ok lol, I have quite long headphones so not a problem
~Ally~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My muscles don't seem to be set up for running So instead i do a lot of fast walking, at steep inclines (typically, on a treadmill, ending up at 6.7 speed, at 11 incline), and i usually just walk part of the way back from work (its all uphill, i walk 2.5 miles, and kinda have to walk fast in order to catch the bus.. or else i'd have to walk all the way home :p:) In the gym, i typically do 20 minutes cycling, 25 minutes on the treadmill, then maybe some rowing, if i can be arsed.
ALWAYS with my ipod.
ALWAYS with my Horrendously Cheesy And Upbeat Scaninavian Pop Playlist on
tinkerbellejess
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cheesy tunes are a must for any cardio!
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Outside with no Mp3 player. If i ever do any steady state i like to hear myself breathing so i can control it better.
More than likely though, im doing HIIT/hill sprints. In which case i think music is unnecessary
esm
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by steve2006)
when doing cardio make sure its HIIT. Makes the time go by so quickly when you are working your body hard.
I normally do 20 mins running at about 12km/hr can you give me an idea what I should change it to if I want to do HIIT? thx
McFearless
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bebbs)
Outside with no Mp3 player. If i ever do any steady state i like to hear myself breathing so i can control it better.
More than likely though, im doing HIIT/hill sprints. In which case i think music is unnecessary
yeah, listening to music totally screws up my rhythm. my running has got infinately better since i started going out without my ipod.

if i'm in the gym i prefer listening to music though, mainly to block out the rubbish they play in there/so i don't have to talk to anyone. ha.
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I go to the gym 3 times a week and then go running outside twice a week. I prefer to listen to my MP3 whatever workouts Im doing and where ever I am. When using the treadmill in the gym I dont mind if I havent got my MP3 as either Im watching whatever they got on the tv or the music they are playing or more likely Im chatting to others. When I go running outside though I need to have my MP3 as especially really early in the morning it can get boring and dull although sometimes its good to have silence and clear air as it lets you think about stuff.
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I voted for running outside with an MP3 player. I love it when I go home where I live in a fairly rural area and can just run out of town towards a castle about 6 miles away and then back. But when I'm at university (Manchester) it's harder to find a place to run, short of Platt Fields Park which isn't even ideal. So I tend to do my cardio running to the gym (only 1 mile or so) and then doing X-training and cycling for 15 mins each.

iPod has to be on though, my workout music is usually focussed around heavy metal

These days though, most of my working out in general is through judo...it's exhausting and my fitness is improving with every session! And for obvious reasons, I cant wear an iPod while doing judo (cool as it would be)!
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~Ally~)
ALWAYS with my Horrendously Cheesy And Upbeat Scaninavian Pop Playlist on
I really should try that! Any tunes you recommend?
~Ally~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by graemematt)
I really should try that! Any tunes you recommend?
Muahahaha, NOW you're asking for it ! this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S24DmnOCTCA

this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urCLhm_VBsk

this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6fOX...eature=related

and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP7O2N8lwzY

oh, and how could i forget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvD6maGRh7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibtOs...eature=related
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise