Albsxxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I am currently doing my Pgce and I am on my placement teaching Access to He History and Politics. I am really happy where I am and have got used to the students that I am teaching and also my mentor. However, I have been recently told that majority of the jobs are at A-level and that I will not be accepted into A-level jobs because my experience is in Access to He.
I have been recommended to change my placement if I can and if not do my Pgce next year.

This has made me feel very disheartened! why give access as a placement to students and then basically suggest that they won’t find a job???

I want to know how realistic that is and if I will be a considered applicant if I were to apply to teaching A-level with my experience in Access teaching.
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Albsxxx)
Hi,

I am currently doing my Pgce and I am on my placement teaching Access to He History and Politics. I am really happy where I am and have got used to the students that I am teaching and also my mentor. However, I have been recently told that majority of the jobs are at A-level and that I will not be accepted into A-level jobs because my experience is in Access to He.
I have been recommended to change my placement if I can and if not do my Pgce next year.

This has made me feel very disheartened! why give access as a placement to students and then basically suggest that they won’t find a job???

I want to know how realistic that is and if I will be a considered applicant if I were to apply to teaching A-level with my experience in Access teaching.
You can probably find a job anyway there is a severe lack of teachers in general the government literally advertises for it on the tv and gives out grants for it which if u have done it u probably know so it’s probably fine - supply in demand
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

There's a lot going on here.

Is your pgce in FE skills and post 16? Is it through a university or sponsored by a college / school..

You are right in that the majority of post 16-18 jobs are in a level (access to he is usually 18 +?)

As for the getting a job based on your experience I dont think anyone here - unless we have some heads of departments - will be able to answer that. You would need to look at the application requirements on the job descriptions. There should be plenty on TES soon.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

You should have two placements during the PGCE- will your other one offer you A-level experience?

I disagree that it will be necessarily easy to find a job- post 16 jobs are more popular, and history is not really a shortage subject. Many experienced teachers moving out of schools will look for post 16 jobs. However, a lot can also depend on what the job market is like where you are.

Talk to your ITT provider and find out if you will get A-level experience next placement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (62)
32.8%
Spring (35)
18.52%
Autumn/Fall (46)
24.34%
Winter (36)
19.05%
I love them all equally (10)
5.29%