need help with lse grad selecion Watch

priyankac
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hello,
i am an indian and have completed bachelors degree in economics with 65 % average..I would seriously like to know if at all it is possible for me to get an admission in lse in a good graduate programme.???how many masters courses can i apply for at one go?? and is it worth it?? i mean lse masters??? coz its quite expensive? but is it possible to get jobs after lse which wud pay off the load that i would have to take for graduate studies in lse..? anyways most importantly i would like to know if at all i have any chances of getting selected for a masters degree??
and if anyone is aware can they tell me incase lse has any masters course starting around summer???
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In answer to one of your points, having a postgraduate from the LSE means you can get a job very easily in the city.
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
65% isn't even a high 2.1, is it? I think that you'd need a pretty spectacular overall application and personal statement if you want to be accepted into LSE for a postrag course.

Which uni did you get your undergrad from? You'd need it to have a decent reputation for Economics, ideally. Maybe you could offload your 65%, slightly disadvantageing mark, by having got it from a poor uni, though, and been towards the top end of your course (top 2%).
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by priyankac)
hello,
i am an indian and have completed bachelors degree in economics with 65 % average..I would seriously like to know if at all it is possible for me to get an admission in lse in a good graduate programme.???how many masters courses can i apply for at one go?? and is it worth it?? i mean lse masters??? coz its quite expensive? but is it possible to get jobs after lse which wud pay off the load that i would have to take for graduate studies in lse..? anyways most importantly i would like to know if at all i have any chances of getting selected for a masters degree??
and if anyone is aware can they tell me incase lse has any masters course starting around summer???
As many as you like and can afford to - keep in mind, though, that if you apply for multiple courses, you'll have to pay multiples of the application fee.

Oh and please give people some time to respond to your posts. If you keep bumping ancient LSE-threads to spam them with identical posts which are completely unrelated to the original thread, they'll only be deleted. And if you persist, you'll get a warn for it.
acelib82
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Greatleysteg)
65% isn't even a high 2.1, is it? I think that you'd need a pretty spectacular overall application and personal statement if you want to be accepted into LSE for a postrag course.

Which uni did you get your undergrad from? You'd need it to have a decent reputation for Economics, ideally. Maybe you could offload your 65%, slightly disadvantageing mark, by having got it from a poor uni, though, and been towards the top end of your course (top 2%).

The entry requirements for most postgrad courses at LSE specify a 2:1 degree in a related subject, not 'a high 2:1 degree which must be higher than 65%'. If this person has a 2:1, surely they have as much right to make an application as anyone else?.
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by acelib82)
The entry requirements for most postgrad courses at LSE specify a 2:1 degree in a related subject, not 'a high 2:1 degree which must be higher than 65%'. If this person has a 2:1, surely they have as much right to make an application as anyone else?.

Did I say he had no right to make an application? No. Back off. He asked what his chances were of being selected. I gave constructive feedback. In case you hadn't noticed, most top-20 universities stipulate a minimum of 2:1 for their postrgraduate entry courses. LSE, being insanely competitive, is, of course, going to attract majoritally 1st and very high 2:1 holders.
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did I say he had no right to make an application? No. Back off. He asked what his chances were of being selected. I gave constructive feedback. In case you hadn't noticed, most top-20 universities stipulate a minimum of 2:1 for their postrgraduate entry courses. LSE, being insanely competitive, is, of course, going to attract majoritally 1st and very high 2:1 holders.
The thing with LSE though, is that they charge a lot for the masters (14k for everything and everyone, when most places charge 3-5k for their courses). As a result, some of their courses aren't particularly oversubscribed. It goes without saying that a 68% is more appealing than a 61% in the majority of cases, but LSE are less fussy than say, Oxbridge. They don't tend to use high offers as a means of narrowing the field in the same way.

Also, according to LSE's entry criteria, a 65% in India is a first ('India: a bachelor’s degree with high First Class Honours (above 60% overall)'). They still require a 60, but that may be regarded as a more selective achievement than a 60 over here. I'm speculating, though.

My usual advice is to apply and see what happens. If you fulfill the minimum entrance criteria, you might as well!
acelib82
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I never said you did, I said surely he must have as much right as anyone else followed by a question mark. And yes, of course I know a lot of top uni's ask for a 2:1 for postgrad. Being in my mid-twenties, I have finished university and have got my degree, have you?. It seems you are still a teenager doing your A-Levels. Perhaps it is you who rather needs to 'Back off' in that sense?

I wouldn't have dared be so arrogant as to post a reply in this postgraduate forum if I hadn't even been to university yet. And just because someone may have a 1st or a high 2:1, this does not mean they will gain admission to a course, as I'm sure you may know...
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I never said you did, I said surely he must have as much right as anyone else followed by a question mark. And yes, of course I know a lot of top uni's ask for a 2:1 for postgrad. Being in my mid-twenties, I have finished university and have got my degree, have you?. It seems you are still a teenager doing your A-Levels. Perhaps it is you who rather needs to 'Back off' in that sense?

I wouldn't have dared be so arrogant as to post a reply in this postgraduate forum if I hadn't even been to university yet. And just because someone may have a 1st or a high 2:1, this does not mean they will gain admission to a course, as I'm sure you may know...
It's hardly arrogant for me to post in here. While I may not be well versed in the intricacies of postraduate life/procedures, I felt suitably well-informed to make a reply, which I successfully did. Don't pull the "I've been to uni and you haven't" card, because I've not said anything incorrect.

And you must have implied that I was saying the OP was no worthy of applying, otherwise why else would you have said that in response to my post? I don't need to back off at all, you need to stop looking for confrontations, perhaps.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oi, stop arguing and put the cat claws away before one of you gets hurt.

I have a handbag and i'm not afraid to use it. :fight:
acelib82
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's hardly arrogant for me to post in here. While I may not be well versed in the intricacies of postraduate life/procedures, I felt suitably well-informed to make a reply, which I successfully did. Don't pull the "I've been to uni and you haven't" card, because I've not said anything incorrect.

And you must have implied that I was saying the OP was no worthy of applying, otherwise why else would you have said that in response to my post? I don't need to back off at all, you need to stop looking for confrontations, perhaps.
Well, there is so much I can think of to say in response to that, but I'm not even going to bother. But I think you'll find it was you who launched an attack.

Anyway, getting back to the original question, I think the original poster should apply and give it all they've got. Someone posted above that, in terms of the Indian system, their degree is more than adequate. So yes, you go ahead and apply, get an offer and that'll show anyone who doubts .
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, there is so much I can think of to say in response to that, but I'm not even going to bother. But I think you'll find it was you who launched an attack.

Anyway, getting back to the original question, I think the original poster should apply and give it all they've got. Someone posted above that, in terms of the Indian system, their degree is more than adequate. So yes, you go ahead and apply, get an offer and that'll show anyone who doubts .
Yes, because "Back off" ['don't launch an attack on what I had just said'] is an attack. :rolleyes:

Has the OP actually completed his degree in India?
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Has the OP actually completed his degree in India?
Indeed:

i am an indian and have completed bachelors degree in economics with 65 % average.
freemover
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I just got accepted to do an MA at LSE and I only got 62%. You do need a good personal statement and good references but a 2:1 is enough.
Without sounding rude you really shouldnt write things you don't actually know anything about!If someone really wants to go to a good uni, I think they should apply. What is there to lose? I never thought I would get in and Im really glad ppl didnt disuade me to apply.
acelib82
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by freemover)
I just got accepted to do an MA at LSE and I only got 62%. You do need a good personal statement and good references but a 2:1 is enough.
Without sounding rude you really shouldnt write things you don't actually know anything about!If someone really wants to go to a good uni, I think they should apply. What is there to lose? I never thought I would get in and Im really glad ppl didnt disuade me to apply.
Congratualtions!. And I totally agree with you
emperor81
Report 10 years ago
only 62%, and u get into LSE!!! Wow...what course did u apply to?
TSRreader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am not sure if your degree is a first. http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/stu...ntry/india.htm
It actually seems unclear with LSE website whether 65% is a first but quite likely a good 2:i.

If your degree is not a first equivalent then you most unlikely going to get Msc Economics but you will have quite a good chance for Msc finance and economics. Make sure you can get good Letters of Recommendation. And I heard Msc Finance and Economics is also a good program for finance especially IB.

I think LSE application allow you to choose two programs, so if you fail to get into the first one then they will try get you into the second one.
davidbristol
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hello,
I can't see why not - the competition for places is crazy at undergraduate level - but not nearly as bad at postgrad level. A 2.1 should be enough, and as your english appears good that's a another thing you won't have to worry about. Definitely worth applying I'd say - remember the LSE isn't the be all and end all though - UCL are great for economics too!
adglse
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think u should have any problem getting into LSE.I had a 67%in Eco(Hons.)frm Delhi University and a 1350 in GRE n I got through in LSE.

I guess LSE checks whether one has been consistent in their graduation years.I mean,one should have above 65% in each year.not that in one year,u get a 55% and in the next year u get a 75%........a balance should be there.

Good luck.
unknown demon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by adglse)
I don't think u should have any problem getting into LSE.I had a 67%in Eco(Hons.)frm Delhi University and a 1350 in GRE n I got through in LSE.

I guess LSE checks whether one has been consistent in their graduation years.I mean,one should have above 65% in each year.not that in one year,u get a 55% and in the next year u get a 75%........a balance should be there.

Good luck.

Consistent yes. 65%+ will help, but I completely disagree with this I know people (more than 10) with significantly less.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (162)
38.94%
No - but I will (22)
5.29%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.56%

Watched Threads