Open University - Certificate of higher ed. Maths

Watch
Glass2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I am thinking of doing some Maths studying at Open University.
I'm not sure if I can commit to the honours degree (I'm in my thirties), so I was considering registering for the certificate of higher education in mathematical sciences.
Can anyone advise if the certificate alone is of any actual use employment wise? Would employers even view it as an actual qualification?
thanks
JollyCynic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A CertHE in maths at the OU will take you roughly through A-level maths. The core modules are MST124 and MST125 (Essential Mathematics 1 & 2), and then MU123 Discovering Mathematics (which comes pre-MST124), and M140 Introducing Statistics. I self-trained the content in MU123 and started out on MST124. If you do this for your CertHE Mathematics, you can swap MU123 out for another module. They're not likely to be very related to your subject, though. The choices can be found here:
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualif...tage-1-options
So you'd be ready for anything that would require A-level maths or equivalent.
(As somebody who dropped out of high school and took MST124 in his 40s, don't count yourself out for a full degree. But definitely see how you like it. MST124 has been my most rewarding module yet.)
Glass2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by JollyCynic)
A CertHE in maths at the OU will take you roughly through A-level maths. The core modules are MST124 and MST125 (Essential Mathematics 1 & 2), and then MU123 Discovering Mathematics (which comes pre-MST124), and M140 Introducing Statistics. I self-trained the content in MU123 and started out on MST124. If you do this for your CertHE Mathematics, you can swap MU123 out for another module. They're not likely to be very related to your subject, though. The choices can be found here:
http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualif...tage-1-options
So you'd be ready for anything that would require A-level maths or equivalent.
(As somebody who dropped out of high school and took MST124 in his 40s, don't count yourself out for a full degree. But definitely see how you like it. MST124 has been my most rewarding module yet.)
Excellent. Thanks for your reply.
Do you mind me asking if your OU maths study has lead to many career opportunities/advancement.
I will also be in my 40s when/if I complete my studies, so it would good to get an idea of where a OU maths degree could lead for a mature student
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (37)
22.42%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (79)
47.88%
I'm unsure (49)
29.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise