Personal Statement Vet Med Watch

bluej1
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would mind showing me their personal statement for Vet med? Preferably one that helped you get an offer. I can't find any examples for Vet Med and I need a rough idea on the kind of things to put! If you have any ideas or wouldn't mind showing me your personal statement please could you PM it to me, Thanks
Transatlanticdrawl_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I didn't get an offer, but I know now a few things I didn't before.
Generally, most people start out by saying a few lines on why they want to be a vet, and perhaps what qualities they have that would suit them to the course, etc.
Then it's usually work experience. This should generally take up quite alot of your statement, and I don't know how many people do it but next year i'm considering just writing a list so it's clear to see everything I have, and then elaborate by going into detail of the more interesting placements. I would stress that lists of work experience won't mean much unless you mention what you personally gained from them, perhaps what skills you have learnt through them.
And usually towards the end, it goes onto other extra curricular etc. Try hard not to make this last bit simply a list of achievements. Keep the continuous prose all the way through, and try to cover a broad area of your other interests, rather than waste it on one thing. So if you're into duke of edinburgh award, and perhaps a sport, or a musical instrument aswel, then it would be good to try and outline all of these , rather than talk for 3 lines about the sports only.
Most people then conclude with a sentence again on the vetscience topic, again mentioning another reason why you should be considered or why you feel you would be well-suited to the course.

This is just an idea, and I've used the word "usually" quite alot, but that's just from the usual patterns I've noticed on people's Vetmed statements

Matt
karate_kat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeh, my ps had that layout. Didn't get any offers, but I think that was due to other things, cos I had interviews at liverpool, bristol and cambridge, and edinburgh said I had a lack of enough work experience and extra-curricular activities.
Anyway there's another thread for this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=598859
So, you could try posting your query there, as many people will be subscribed to this thread.
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ooh karate_kat could you send me yours then please, seeing as it got you 3 interviews
bluej1
Thanks would you mind sending me yours, as I really need some ideas?!
don't worry if not!
Transatlanticdrawl_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by karate_kat)
Yeh, my ps had that layout. Didn't get any offers, but I think that was due to other things, cos I had interviews at liverpool, bristol and cambridge, and edinburgh said I had a lack of enough work experience and extra-curricular activities.
Anyway there's another thread for this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=598859
So, you could try posting your query there, as many people will be subscribed to this thread.
These are just the reasons I didn't get in. But it annoys me, because work experience ok fair play, but extra curricular? I'm 18, I've left college! I'm in full time work! During the year I've been balancing the gym 3-4 times a week with grade 8 piano preparation, revision and driving lessons and it still wasn't enough ! I almost feel like "Oh damn, I can't be a vet because I forget to be captain of the football team 5 years ago in secondary school and didn't go for a duke of edinburgh award".
Silly really, sometimes they really don't know how much they are asking of you, especially if you're balancing a busy life already !
candylion
Report 10 years ago
i haven't got my statement any more, but i got 4 interviews and now i'm a vet student at cambridge, and i'd say i pretty much just tried to sum myself up and explain why i felt i would make a good vet student. to be honest, it doesn't really matter that much i don't think, as they will interview almost everyone that applies anyway and whether or not they make you an offer depends far more on that. i reckon mentioning your work experience, part time jobs and hobbies is good, and try and relate all of these to skills and attributes you have gained which will be useful to you in studying vet med and working as a vet.
candylion
Report 10 years ago
oo i forgot to say that writing style is important - they want to see that you can communicate well!
emilyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by candylion)
i haven't got my statement any more, but i got 4 interviews and now i'm a vet student at cambridge, and i'd say i pretty much just tried to sum myself up and explain why i felt i would make a good vet student. to be honest, it doesn't really matter that much i don't think, as they will interview almost everyone that applies anyway and whether or not they make you an offer depends far more on that. i reckon mentioning your work experience, part time jobs and hobbies is good, and try and relate all of these to skills and attributes you have gained which will be useful to you in studying vet med and working as a vet.
I don't think you can really say that to be honest. No-one knows for sure exactly how much the unis rely on the PS - so everyone should try as hard as they can, and not treat it as if it doesn't matter.
You never know, there may be instances in which a candidate has one predicted grade lower than the uni's were looking for, but the PS was so emphatic that they decided to interview anyway.

The PS is there for a reason, and it's just as important as every other part of the application, otherwise it wouldn't be included.

However the rest is good advice, thanks :p:
Silver_Lightning
Report 10 years ago
ARGH the stress that is personal statement!! I know what to include just about, but i don't know how to include it, if that makes any sense at all. I don't know wether i should list all my work experience, or just include specific cases i was a part and what i learnt from it, or what! so confusing!! But then i think, if i don't list it, how will the uni know if i have all the minimum work experience requirements, then i think it takes up loads of room if i list it and seems informal and oh dear. lol
karate_kat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could put all of the work experience details into the work part of the UCAS form, and put in brackets after all of them "voluntary", then in your ps, only explain further those that you did something interesting in, or learnt something from.
bluej1
ok that's great idea - thanks so much for your help!
city_chic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine was a bit unconventional in that it was only being sent off to Nottingham so I could direct it specifically towards the uni a bit. Also I explained a bit why I didn't choose the right subjects etc etc. Anyway, it was good enough to get me an interview so I'll send it to anyone who wants it.
00nay00
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Silver_Lightning)
ARGH the stress that is personal statement!! I know what to include just about, but i don't know how to include it, if that makes any sense at all. I don't know wether i should list all my work experience, or just include specific cases i was a part and what i learnt from it, or what! so confusing!! But then i think, if i don't list it, how will the uni know if i have all the minimum work experience requirements, then i think it takes up loads of room if i list it and seems informal and oh dear. lol
You can do both list and explain in the alloted space! "Doing X number of days/weeks at Y allowed me to see A/develop my skills at B etc etc", so don't just list, but at the same time include all of the places you've been. And most importantly, stop stressing! I honestly barely knew what a PS was at this point when I was due to apply.
Transatlanticdrawl_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know why people always say that interviews are easy to come by, and that the interview is more important than the statement etc. It may be because my application was just plain rubbish (although I thought with enough work experience to satisfy Liverpool (the 6 weeks thing), my extra curricular stuff, AAAA predictions and many good (i felt at least) reasons for wanting to be a vet etc I would at least have a chance) but I only got one interview, at Bristol. From everywhere else (Notts, Edinburgh and Liverpool) I got TERRIBLE correspondance. Edinburgh sent me nothing, not one letter or email, simply a "unsuccessful" around mid february on UCAS track. Nottingham and Liverpool weren't much better, althought notts did let me do the online questionnaire but said I didn't get an interview because my answers weren't good enough.
So my point is, don't take interview offers lightly, I was expecting at least 2 or 3, and got only one, and I really feel my application wasn't *that* bad.
00nay00
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
I don't know why people always say that interviews are easy to come by, and that the interview is more important than the statement etc. It may be because my application was just plain rubbish (although I thought with enough work experience to satisfy Liverpool (the 6 weeks thing), my extra curricular stuff, AAAA predictions and many good (i felt at least) reasons for wanting to be a vet etc I would at least have a chance) but I only got one interview, at Bristol. From everywhere else (Notts, Edinburgh and Liverpool) I got TERRIBLE correspondance. Edinburgh sent me nothing, not one letter or email, simply a "unsuccessful" around mid february on UCAS track. Nottingham and Liverpool weren't much better, althought notts did let me do the online questionnaire but said I didn't get an interview because my answers weren't good enough.
So my point is, don't take interview offers lightly, I was expecting at least 2 or 3, and got only one, and I really feel my application wasn't *that* bad.
The plus out of this situation is that you can re-apply to notts and you haved a chance of interview and offer, whereas if you would have got an interview and then been rejected by them you wouldn't be able to re-apply if you wanted. It's probably not that your application wasn't good it's just (i can only speak for notts here), they only interview like 400 out of the 1800 that apply. O and Edinburgh were the same with me when I applied, ignored me, then really late on (around april) just sent me a rejection letter, so chin up my friend! Re-write your PS with advice from here, do more work exp/extra curricular stuff, so your committment and apply again!
Transatlanticdrawl_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 00nay00)
The plus out of this situation is that you can re-apply to notts and you haved a chance of interview and offer, whereas if you would have got an interview and then been rejected by them you wouldn't be able to re-apply if you wanted. It's probably not that your application wasn't good it's just (i can only speak for notts here), they only interview like 400 out of the 1800 that apply. O and Edinburgh were the same with me when I applied, ignored me, then really late on (around april) just sent me a rejection letter, so chin up my friend! Re-write your PS with advice from here, do more work exp/extra curricular stuff, so your committment and apply again!
Thanks for the encouragement. I've nearly doubled the amount of work experience I had on my last application now, and done some other things I can add to my next application, so I'm hoping for a better chance

Matt
karate_kat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, Edinburgh were the same with me, although I got interviews at Liverpool, Bristol and Cambridge. Did you get to the work experience stage at Liverpool?
bumbleboy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by city_chic)
Mine was a bit unconventional in that it was only being sent off to Nottingham so I could direct it specifically towards the uni a bit. Also I explained a bit why I didn't choose the right subjects etc etc. Anyway, it was good enough to get me an interview so I'll send it to anyone who wants it.
Hey I wouldnt mind a look if thats okay?

Thanks!
Transatlanticdrawl_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by karate_kat)
Hey, Edinburgh were the same with me, although I got interviews at Liverpool, Bristol and Cambridge. Did you get to the work experience stage at Liverpool?
I got a work experience questionnaire from Liverpool which I filled in. However, the problem was, although I met up to the set "criteria" they had recommended as a minimum, I think I only just made it, maybe by one or two days work experience. I've come to realise that this just won't cut it. They then rejected me, and in feedback told me that I did not have enough to make it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (191)
39.63%
No - but I will (29)
6.02%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (229)
47.51%

Watched Threads