Information Technology Management for Business Watch

Wiserommer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey all,

I've finally decided to take this degree, but there are a few things that are bugging me, so if anyone could help i would be great full.

- This degree does not offer a placement, but due to its content i will have potential industry links, is this good?

- If possible, could anyone give me some insight to what this course is like in the first year.

I'm more worried about the fact that this degree is not well recognized amongst employees and at the end of it my occupation chances will be low.
Wireless
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Freaky..... I was pretty much just about to make this thread. I too am studying this degree next year, where have you applied for?

Most unis do have a placement year for this course! Are you sure you don't have the option?

Is anyone here studying this course?!

I have the exact same worries, it says that it is a course which employers are looking for. But if so, why have I never seen any threads about it? I'm worried that I'll do the course, then not get a job as people see the information technology as soft - but in reality we will be studying computer science!
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wireless)
but in reality we will be studying computer science!
why?
Wireless
Report 10 years ago
The course at lancaster, which I'm applying for, is a mix of computer science modules and management modules. As opposed to information technology modules and management modules.
Wiserommer
Rep:
?
I will be studying it at Birmingham city uni, I'm just really concerned about the employment prospects.

Everything about the course is great for the field i want to go into, but due to this placement problem i am concerned. Would an internship just be as good?

He said something about the course not being so popular last year, thats why they are hesitant to make it into a sandwich course, even thought it stats in the prospectus it is.
Wireless
Report 10 years ago
Well I deliberated for a long time over this degree and computer science with french.

Which field are you wishing to go into? I'm not sure yet so I'm worried that the prospects of employment (if many) will not be appealing to me!

I might still switch to my insurance choice of computing with french, maybe I'll post on this forum for advice.

The decreased popularity of the course surely shouldn't affect their ability to give you a placement! Shouldn't that make it easier for them to find you a placement?
Wiserommer
Rep:
?
Well for this particular degree it allows me to broaden my arisen, when choosing a job. This degree was designed by the government and numerous companies, so it does give a chance for the graduate to choose any job within the IT/business arena.

To be honest they never really gave me a definitive answer as to why they were not offering placements, but the co-ordinator did emphasis, with enthusiasm, that i will have great industry links.

Computer Science was also my insurance, but i wanted business along with my degree ,because thats what i am naturally good at.

To be honest i think we need someones input regarding this degree who as been on the first year...
ttx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Call up employers you're interested in, ask to speak to HR or the hiring managers in the area you're interested in and ask them what they think of the degree.
Wireless
Report 10 years ago
After taking a wee whiz around google I found several news articles mentioning, and praising, the ITMB degree!

http://www.computingbusiness.co.uk/c...xperts-3537139

is one of them
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i dont really agree with a lot of what that link says..... no need for computer science anymore as a lot of IT courses cover both business and the technical skills ?????? really?
Wiserommer
Rep:
?
Naturally its not a direct replacement for Computer Science, thats plainly obvious! but it caters for people who wants to do both business/IT at a really decent level.

I am still unsure about this placemnet, will it affect my future.
Wiserommer
Rep:
?
Ok, so this was the response i got regarding the placement,

2) The placement year cannot be an option, because of the relatively small number of students on the course. We need to maintain viable numbers throughout the course, providing the placement year could mean that the final year cohort would be split into two, making for unsustainable numbers in the final year. This decision could be reversed if we have enough students enter the course, but at present we are telling all potential applicants that there will not be a placement year offered.
Wireless
Report 10 years ago
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/coursesearch/...sion_id=000108

They definitely offer the placement option at lancaster.

http://www.e-skills.com/cgi-bin/go.p...keyword_uid=86

Says that only selected unis offer the placement option!
Wiserommer
Rep:
?
so, let me understand this correctly! only a certain amount of universities offer the placement, its not mandatory?
Wireless
Report 10 years ago
Mustn't be mandatory :X, that's really quite ridiculous though! I'm going to give the course a try and switch to pure computer science if I decide it's not for me!
-Em-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why's it ridiculous that a placement isn't mandatory?

You can complete the education requirement of a CEng without ever setting foot in the workplace, so it isn't unthinkable. Plus, it means that you can gain your first year of experience without paying fees (whereas you'd have to if it were a placement).
Wireless
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Em-)
Why's it ridiculous that a placement isn't mandatory?
It's ridiculous for this particular degree as it is run by both government and universities and therefore there shouldn't be a difference in the degree at different unis. People studying the ITMB in lancaster are guaranteed a placement, as should those studying it at other unis. A guaranteed placement for students should be part of the requirements of a uni providing the ITMB degree.

Are you studying the degree?
-Em-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why's it any different because of government involvement? Granted it would be better to offer placements, but a course has to be financially viable for a university to run it. Given that a lot of graduates don't even go into the field that they got their degree in (whatever the intake spiel tells you about opportunities), a placement has never been academically imperative - only when the course leads directly to a specific vocation (i.e. Law or Medicine).

And I'm doing an MEng in CS with a placement, but ironically I'm currently on what amounts to an IT Management internship (not that this affords me a greater understanding of the subject at hand). I do think that placements are a good thing, but I also realise that it can be infeasible to run them. Unfortunately they need some stability of intake to run placements and you got there just before the cusp.

Anyhow, the university should have a careers office which can help you and the industry links will be invaluable, particularly if various companies are sniffing around prior to graduation. If the experience is very important to you personally, then start looking for potential Summer internships now and you'll come out head and shoulders above your peers who've spent 3 years stacking shelves in their downtime.

As an aside, I wish people wouldn't even bring up CS in the same breath as IT. If anyone ever said that Civil and Structural Engineering made Mathematics redundant they'd be laughed off their column and rightly so. The idea that computational mathematicians somehow need to be well versed in the latest management and technology fads which have nothing to do with their field (i.e. not IT) is ridiculous.

The correlation between IT savvy and Computer Science is incidental at best - the difference is as marked as that between mechanics and rally drivers. Sure, the drivers may be fanatical about the innards of their cars, but they're fundamentally two completely different things.
fredesere
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by -Em-)
As an aside, I wish people wouldn't even bring up CS in the same breath as IT. If anyone ever said that Civil and Structural Engineering made Mathematics redundant they'd be laughed off their column and rightly so. The idea that computational mathematicians somehow need to be well versed in the latest management and technology fads which have nothing to do with their field (i.e. not IT) is ridiculous.

The correlation between IT savvy and Computer Science is incidental at best - the difference is as marked as that between mechanics and rally drivers. Sure, the drivers may be fanatical about the innards of their cars, but they're fundamentally two completely different things.
Yea but not in the case of ITMB, when u take a look at the modules u see it really is a mix of computer science and business, i wonder why they called it information technology management for business i think the name kinda put it down a bit as it is partly computer science and partly business .
INTit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by fredesere)
Yea but not in the case of ITMB, when u take a look at the modules u see it really is a mix of computer science and business, i wonder why they called it information technology management for business i think the name kinda put it down a bit as it is partly computer science and partly business .
http://nuweb.northumbria.ac.uk/live/...p?code=UUSIMB1

Nearly every CS course ive seen normally has 1 or more modules on logic/discrete maths and computer architecture.

Maybe theres not enough CS modules for it to include CS in the title. Then again I don't know what you actually need to study for a degree to merit the title "Computer science".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (269)
38.48%
No - but I will (48)
6.87%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.3%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (331)
47.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise