hair straightening problem Watch

dead antics
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
after a few years of having short hair the time for long hair has come upon me again, so ive dug my straighteners out and blown off the dust.
now im having a problem. before when i had long hair after id had a shower id dry my hair and straighten it and thatd be that jobs a goodun

however now, when i do the same thing, after i put abit of product on it goes curly again. ive realized the best way for me is styling my hair then waiting a few hours and then straightening; that keeps it straight.

anyone have any ideas or tips or anything?
i use GHDs however they havent been used for a good 2 and a half years could that be the problem?
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
putting product on ur hair will make it go curly
can u put the product on before straightening?
my hair looses its striaghtness very quickly the only thing i can put on after straightening is shining finishing serium (sp?)
i tend to use a heat protection spray with a holding stuff in it to help it a little more
x
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My 2nd pair of GHD's lost their heat - then subsquently died. This could be what you're experiencing. Do they seem a lot less hot?
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if your ghds are having problems, contact ghd and they'll repair/replace them for you obviously at a fee, but better than buying a new one.
dead antics
Rep:
?
thanks for the replies. i dont think its the straighteners they seem as hot as usual. hmmm maybe its the product im putting in. anyone know of any safe stuff you can style with your hair after straightening?
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
there are a few threads on heat/hair protection. you just need to search.
Saraaaa!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The product might be too wet I guess.
My boyfriend uses a red Toni and Guy like gum/wax stuff which works well and keeps his hair straight and styled.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get spray on heat protection that you put on before you straighten your hair.

Generally I just straighten my hair - no need to blow dry it, although sometimes I do, because I have Remington wet2str8s (love them!) - I don't use product because my hair straightens pretty easily and is naturally pretty straight in the first place. At the moment it's about boob-length (or getting there anyway) and if I put product on it it goes quite greasy, and my straighteners don't seem to dry out my hair too much, but then since it straightens easily I don't have the heat on it very long, maybe that's why?

Anyway, I'd advise, not to use product if you can help it, but to use a spray on heat protect before you straighten, and then it'll stay straighter longer
dead antics
Rep:
?
^^^^give me your straightening regime please danny...
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My hairs stupidly thick i just straighen, wax, straighten and it works, everyone things im craaz tho, and it does cause a whole of load smoke/burniong smell lol
kamie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My hair straightens a lot better when left to dry naturally first too. So I wash it night before, and stick it in a plastic hair cover thing when I shower in the morning, then straighten it!
Hannah_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
My 2nd pair of GHD's lost their heat - then subsquently died. This could be what you're experiencing. Do they seem a lot less hot?
Consider yourself lucky; Mine literally exploded.
x
Chantalcompowder
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
someone mentioned that their hair straightens better after letting their hair dry naturally.... for me this is not the case.

i don't have especially fine or thick hair, and it's not really straight and requires a fair amount of effort to go curly.
so in effect my hair kinks rather than curls or waves, in all the wrong places.

so i normally blow dry my hair (upside down if i want volume) and apparently your hair dries straighter if you blow dry it from the top flat. doing stuff like this helps start it off so that it's more likely to remain straight.

obviously use some heat protection spray (mines fairly cheap from scooperpooperdrug) and maybe try some decent hair spray, ellnett is known for it's hold and is all my mum ever uses.

happy straightening
x x x x x x x x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.51%
No - but I will (19)
5.67%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (162)
48.36%

Watched Threads