Adverse Possession - what does 'on trust' mean?

Watch
GeorgeMoriarty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I have been looking at Adverse Possession recently and do not understand what is meant by the proprietor holding the land 'on trust' for the squatter after the squatter successfully possesses adversely.

What is the reason?

Everyone has been extremely helpful so far and I would like to thank all who assisted me profusely.

Thanks in advance
username3689312
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go and find a trust book/website etc, and look at what a trust is and how it operates and then this will answer your question.
Bitesizelaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GeorgeMoriarty)
Hi,

I have been looking at Adverse Possession recently and do not understand what is meant by the proprietor holding the land 'on trust' for the squatter after the squatter successfully possesses adversely.

What is the reason?

Everyone has been extremely helpful so far and I would like to thank all who assisted me profusely.

Thanks in advance
If the squatter adversely possesses successfully, but the legal title is still in the name of the original owner, the squatter's ownership needs to be 'recognised' in some way. This is done by the use of a trust.

The legal owner (i.e. the trustee) is merely a 'paper' owner. The squatter is the' beneficial owner’. The beneficiary (the squatter ) has the right to occupy the land and receive any income from the land. The trustee (if they are no longer a 'beneficial' owner themselves which in this scenario they are not) does not.

Think of it as similar to a situation where your granny gave you £200 but your Mum put it into an account in her name to 'look after it until you are older'. Your Mum was the trustee, but the 'real' owner (i.e. the ‘beneficial owner) was you.

When the legal title is transferred to the squatter, the trust will come to an end.

I can appreciate why you are having trouble understanding this but it will become clear when you have studied trusts and the difference between legal and equitable ownership in more depth.

Please give me a 'thumbs up' by clicking on the button below if you find my advice helpful. Thank you. :yy:

Amanda Grant a.k.a. BiteSizeLaw

https://www.linkedin.com/in/amanda-grant-bitesizelaw/
Last edited by Bitesizelaw; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.14%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.84%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (49)
26.92%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.13%

Watched Threads