The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
belle654
So, how do you get a good doctors letter out of them.

hmm i reckon seeing ur local family doctor is the way to go as far as getting a decent doctor's note because he/she will definitely be more sympathetic as opposed to the GP thats assigned to u in uni. ok so i've got some good news and bad news, the latter being that the school has rejected my appeal (on the basis that they do not understand why I didn't report my condition earlier even though their not disputing the notion that the illness might've affected me) and the former being that panel is satisfied that i have grounds for appeal and has decided that my case should proceed to a hearing having evaluated my claim and the school's response (even though they could've sided with the skool and dismiss my appeal according to the appeals procedure). Has anyone been to a hearing before? what are the odds of my claim succeeding at this juncture?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 21
czarclem
hmm i reckon seeing ur local family doctor is the way to go as far as getting a decent doctor's note because he/she will definitely be more sympathetic as opposed to the GP thats assigned to u in uni. ok so i've got some good news and bad news, the latter being that the school has rejected my appeal (on the basis that they do not understand why I didn't report my condition earlier even though their not disputing the notion that the illness might've affected me) and the former being that panel is satisfied that i have grounds for appeal and has decided that my case should proceed to a hearing having evaluated my claim and the school's response (even though they could've sided with the skool and dismiss my appeal according to the appeals procedure). Has anyone been to a hearing before? what are the odds of my claim succeeding at this juncture?

Thats good thats its going to an appeal. Basically you have to go to a hearing infront of a few people and explain yourself why you think you should be able to retake. Its bad luck that the school havent supported it. Try and get and excellent appeal ready for the appeal day, as this is really your last chance. Really good luck. I havent heard anything about mine yet, did you get a letter?
Reply 22
belle654
Thats good thats its going to an appeal. Basically you have to go to a hearing infront of a few people and explain yourself why you think you should be able to retake. Its bad luck that the school havent supported it. Try and get and excellent appeal ready for the appeal day, as this is really your last chance. Really good luck. I havent heard anything about mine yet, did you get a letter?

hmm i recieved notice of it via email..check it as often as u can coz it might be here any day now plus i only just found out about mine 24 hrs ago. Judging from my correspondance with the appeals officer, it seems like most of the letters or responses were sent out today so it should reach u by now. Currently trying my darndest to put together a good counterargument against the points my school raised so hopefully they'll buy the evidence im selling. Best of luck for yours mate, if anything i hope both the school and the panel endorse ur claim (and therefore allow ur appeal to pass without delay) so that u don't have to go through the process im undertaking right now..which lets be honest is rife with uncertainty
Reply 23
czarclem
hmm i recieved notice of it via email..check it as often as u can coz it might be here any day now plus i only just found out about mine 24 hrs ago. Judging from my correspondance with the appeals officer, it seems like most of the letters or responses were sent out today so it should reach u by now. Currently trying my darndest to put together a good counterargument against the points my school raised so hopefully they'll buy the evidence im selling. Best of luck for yours mate, if anything i hope both the school and the panel endorse ur claim (and therefore allow ur appeal to pass without delay) so that u don't have to go through the process im undertaking right now..which lets be honest is rife with uncertainty

I havent got an e-mails, but i think thats only if you got an appeal. Im assuming i havent got one. I wasnt expecting for it to go through with my lack of evidence. I t was so difficult to get a good doctors letter. My doctors just wont do them because of confidentiality reasons. If you have a family friend doctor i bet its easier to get one. Whole system isnt fair. I said on my form the uni could write to my doctor asking for everything, but i doubt they will.
Reply 24
belle654
I havent got an e-mails, but i think thats only if you got an appeal. Im assuming i havent got one. I wasnt expecting for it to go through with my lack of evidence. I t was so difficult to get a good doctors letter. My doctors just wont do them because of confidentiality reasons. If you have a family friend doctor i bet its easier to get one. Whole system isnt fair. I said on my form the uni could write to my doctor asking for everything, but i doubt they will.

im pretty sure they'll notify u even if ur appeal doesn't go through..at least the appeals officer confirmed that with me wen i raised the same question so don't lose hope yet! So wait are u saying ur doctor refused to attribute ur condition to ur performance in the exam (hence the lack of a good doctor's note) in writing? hmm i reckon u should try to get in touch with ur family doctor if u have one who is well informed of ur medical history..not sure if u can introduce new evidence but it certainly won't hurt to try.
Reply 25
czarclem
im pretty sure they'll notify u even if ur appeal doesn't go through..at least the appeals officer confirmed that with me wen i raised the same question so don't lose hope yet! So wait are u saying ur doctor refused to attribute ur condition to ur performance in the exam (hence the lack of a good doctor's note) in writing? hmm i reckon u should try to get in touch with ur family doctor if u have one who is well informed of ur medical history..not sure if u can introduce new evidence but it certainly won't hurt to try.

the doctor said to me the uni has to write to the doctor requesting medical evidence, only then its completely confidential
Reply 26
czarclem

Who is the appeals officer? or is it different for every department? I have had an e-mail or letter or anything yet. I remember when i filled out my appeal form that i ticked the box to say i wanted written confimation that they had recieved my appeal. i didnt hear anything. Earlier in the year i remember i handed in some migitigation evidence--and they lost it! thank god it was only a photo copy not the real thing. I think i have a receipt for the appeal form though. I bet theyve lost it. Im getting really annoyed at birminghams organisation. what are they playing at? Im going to try and chase things up today
Reply 27
belle654
Who is the appeals officer? or is it different for every department? I have had an e-mail or letter or anything yet. I remember when i filled out my appeal form that i ticked the box to say i wanted written confimation that they had recieved my appeal. i didnt hear anything. Earlier in the year i remember i handed in some migitigation evidence--and they lost it! thank god it was only a photo copy not the real thing. I think i have a receipt for the appeal form though. I bet theyve lost it. Im getting really annoyed at birminghams organisation. what are they playing at? Im going to try and chase things up today

Try taking it up to this person:
Debbie Long

Debbie Long (Miss)
Student Conduct and Appeals Administrator
Student Conduct and Appeals Section
Academic and Student Administration
Academic Services
University of Birmingham
'C' Block, Aston Webb Building
Edgbaston. Birmingham. B15 2TT

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0121 414 7684, Fax: 0121 414 3689 (for the attention of the Student Conduct and Appeals Section)

Shes the person i've been directing all my enquiries to all this time..and she replies pretty fast usually within a day.
Reply 28
got a letter later today and everything has been rejected, so i dont even get an appeal. It simply states 'lack of evidence'--which there was. never mind. I am however quite angry about the whole 'doctors letter thing' If i had an illness which could affect next years modules id have no way of getting a doctors letter. My doctors at home simply dont do this. ever. for confidentiality reasons Thanks for that address, im going to e-mail her asking how im suppost to get evidence if my doctors just doesnt write notes.
Reply 29
oh my days! their letting me repeating the year woop!

Latest

Trending

Trending