13noblea
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to become an aerospace engineer, however, that dream is on hold as I found out my AS grades in Bio, physics and maths were, D,E,U. I know I didn't revise a lot for it but I want to make a turn around. Any advice? I'm scared I'm thinking too high
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Work hard for your A levels and apply next year. Take a gap year to gain some experience in aerospace engineering or something similar. If you really want it, you'll be able to achieve it with hard work. Research the unis you want to apply to and have a look at entry requirements and then start revising each of your subjects.
HertsExRep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 13noblea)
I want to become an aerospace engineer, however, that dream is on hold as I found out my AS grades in Bio, physics and maths were, D,E,U. I know I didn't revise a lot for it but I want to make a turn around. Any advice? I'm scared I'm thinking too high
Are you in your final year of A Levels now or are these just your predicted AS grades. If you work hard, and try to increase the amount of revision you are doing, you should be able to bring them up. In my experience with A-Levels, two of the most important things are:

1. Consistent revision - A-Levels are certainly tough and require a lot of dedication. Frequent revision/reviewing of information will help you learn the content.
2. Don't be afraid to ask for help - if there are certain topics that you are struggling with, have a discussion with your teacher, form tutor, or even a house/year learning support tutor on how you can improve. They may be able to provide additional support to help increase your understanding during lunchtime/after school sessions.

I would recommend looking at various pathways into engineering. For example, you can also study BSc degrees in Engineering which cover a lot of the same content as an equivalent BEng but will be slightly less maths intensive (however graduate prospects will be fairly similar when comparing BSc and BEng). The BSc degrees typically have slightly lower entry requirements.

A foundation course may also be an option for you. This is a year before your degree in which you study general maths and engineering modules to bring you up to the level required for the first year of a BEng or BSc engineering degree.

Here's a few examples of the above engineering courses:
BEng Aerospace Engineering
BEng Aeorspace with Space Technology
BSc Aerospace Technology
BSc Aerospace Technology with Pilot Studies
Foundation Course (Initial Year in Engineering)

As you can see the above courses have very different entry requirements and offer a range of pathways into Engineering. I have only listed courses taught at University of Hertfordshire and our partner colleges, but I believe you may find similar options at some other Universities.

Hope that helps
13noblea
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Herts UG Student Rep)
Are you in your final year of A Levels now or are these just your predicted AS grades. If you work hard, and try to increase the amount of revision you are doing, you should be able to bring them up. In my experience with A-Levels, two of the most important things are:

1. Consistent revision - A-Levels are certainly tough and require a lot of dedication. Frequent revision/reviewing of information will help you learn the content.
2. Don't be afraid to ask for help - if there are certain topics that you are struggling with, have a discussion with your teacher, form tutor, or even a house/year learning support tutor on how you can improve. They may be able to provide additional support to help increase your understanding during lunchtime/after school sessions.

I would recommend looking at various pathways into engineering. For example, you can also study BSc degrees in Engineering which cover a lot of the same content as an equivalent BEng but will be slightly less maths intensive (however graduate prospects will be fairly similar when comparing BSc and BEng). The BSc degrees typically have slightly lower entry requirements.

A foundation course may also be an option for you. This is a year before your degree in which you study general maths and engineering modules to bring you up to the level required for the first year of a BEng or BSc engineering degree.

Here's a few examples of the above engineering courses:
BEng Aerospace Engineering
BEng Aeorspace with Space Technology
BSc Aerospace Technology
BSc Aerospace Technology with Pilot Studies
Foundation Course (Initial Year in Engineering)

As you can see the above courses have very different entry requirements and offer a range of pathways into Engineering. I have only listed courses taught at University of Hertfordshire and our partner colleges, but I believe you may find similar options at some other Universities.

Hope that helps
Yes I'm in my last year. Thank you so much for ur advice xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (157)
60.15%
I don't have everything I need (104)
39.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed