?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Im hoping for
A in Economics
A in English Lit
B in Maths
AS level B in Art

My GCSE's aren't that good... AAAABBCD

but im really interested in doing economics at places such as Edinburgh, York, Warwick...

What are my chances assuming i have a good personal statement, references and work experience etc..

If its not good what can i do to improve it? I appreciate the help!!!
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well your offer is likely to be AAA and maths is important so definatey try (if it's not too late) to get an A in that. You're GCSE results aren't too good but I still think they may accept you if your reference says something like - 'they've put a lot of effort in this last year' etc. etc. You're A level subjects are very good though, so you may be in with a chance. I would apply to less competitive unis as well though to make sure you get a place at least somewhere.
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
perhaps take a look a little further down the list of places for economics and see if you like them, but don't be put off applying to the top places.
you may like the places further down just as much and getting an offer from them might be easier for you.

and dont let anybody tell you that four A grades at GCSE isn't good.
Closer*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Thank you both so much!! Much appreciated =]
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Closer*)
Make sure that you are predicted an A in Maths, otherwise your chances of getting an offer from Warwick will be very slim indeed considering that many applicants will be predicted an A in Further Maths as well.
ObaMartins9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As others have said - that maths HAS to be an A for these top places. Maybe look down a notch at places such as Southampton, Exeter and Royal Holloway, which will all have strong departments but will be more likely to give out offers, and at AAB/ABB. Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh and York will probs be the places you'll really be looking for, so maybe go for 3 of them, and then 2 of the previous list.

To improve, try and do things that show an interest in the subject. Read books, try and get involved in economics courses/competitions if you can and use the PS helper service on here! And read this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=610081
Wizardtb
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not to sound like a broken record, but pure Economics is essentially Applied Maths. And to get into these competive universities for a pure Economics course will require Maths/Further Maths and outstanding A-levels.

However, if Maths is your weakness- there are other options which you might want to consider. Many joint degrees are suprisingly less competitive and more lenient with results in Maths modules. At Warwick, this would be Industrial Economics, Economics and Economic History, Economics and Politics at Edinburgh, etc.

I am not sure if I would bother to apply for Oxbridge or LSE, but certainly UCL/Warwick and other universities in the 5-10 spot. Hope that helps.
Closer*
Rep:
?
nah i never dreamed of applying to those places! but yeh, a joint degree is something i will definately look into! thankyou!
hazzypants
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get an A in maths!!

Maybe further AS if you have the oppotunity...
billyboymccoy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt you'll get an offer for warwick. There very hard to get into and they love further maths from what I've heard. But its worth a shot.

York are definately worth a shot. They don't actually ask for maths its just wanted. Also look at Exeter, Southampton, Birmingham, Leeds.

Have one or two very good ones(say warwick). two or three decent ones (york, southampton, etc) then an insurance one.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im hoping for
A in Economics
A in English Lit
B in Maths
AS level B in Art

My GCSE's aren't that good... AAAABBCD

but im really interested in doing economics at places such as Edinburgh, York, Warwick...

What are my chances assuming i have a good personal statement, references and work experience etc..

Where else were you thinking of applying to?
I agree that you have a good chance with York: other 2 may be a stretch. But they could well be part of a balanced choice of unis.
nah i never dreamed of applying to those places! but yeh, a joint degree is something i will definately look into! thankyou!
Applying for joint degrees is not a complete solution. e.g. you will need to express a clear interest in the other subject and that will distract from your pure L100 applications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (25)
49.02%
No - but I will (1)
1.96%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
47.06%

Watched Threads