The Student Room Group

Frustrated over rejection because of not having GCSE’s

Nothing
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jordanhean
Having moved to the UK from South Africa at 16 I was put straight into A-Levels and had not done GCSE’s prior. I’m just very frustrated as I have had friends get into courses at the unis(Cardiff and Liverpool) I wanted to go to. But obviously the reason why I was rejected is because I didn’t have a GCSE English or math ? What do I do from here ?

Did you have the South African equivalents?
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Did you have the South African equivalents?

I did Grade 9 and the first term of grade 10. Unfortunately the standard of South Africa’s education makes the Matric (Grade 12) the equivalent so no.
Having moved to the UK from South Africa at 16 I was put straight into A-Levels and had not done GCSE’s prior. I’m just very frustrated as I have had friends get into courses at the unis(Cardiff and Liverpool) I wanted to go to. But obviously the reason why I was rejected is because I didn’t have a GCSE English or math ? What do I do from here ?

This is sad. Most colleges when you enroll for Alevels they advice you to take Gcse math and English along side your Alevels if they (a) you failed your GCSEs or (b) didn't do GCSEs in the UK.

It depends if you have no gcse equivalents from South Africa. How did they let you on Alevels without GCSEs.

It depends on the university, I know some can let you on and study gcse English and math alongside your degree but email them first.
I did Grade 9 and the first term of grade 10. Unfortunately the standard of South Africa’s education makes the Matric (Grade 12) the equivalent so no.

So does this mean you didn’t complete, it seems like you didn’t achieve the certification

Then you are likely to have quite a few problems, grade C/B/5/6 GCSE English and Maths is a requirement for all sorts of further qualifications and jobs. You ought to consider getting the equivalents in some way. There might be paths through, it's certainly not an issue if you have overseas qualification at the equivalent level. But you don't have, and that can catch you out in all sorts of ways.
Hi @Jordanhean, please get in touch with the international office at the universities you are interested in going to- the teams there are used to working with mixed qualifications. They will be able to help you either apply with just your A-levels or suggest the best way to get the qualifications that you need. For Cardiff, the contact email is [email protected] .

Good luck!
Petra

Quick Reply

Latest