nvijayan14
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi I was practising some creative writing and I'm not sure this sentence is grammatically correct.

The exorbitantly priced stalls wafted an amalgamation of aromas; marvellously crafted with caramel, popcorn and candy floss.

Thanks
drshadowgames
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nvijayan14)
Hi I was practising some creative writing and I'm not sure this sentence is grammatically correct.

The exorbitantly priced stalls wafted an amalgamation of aromas; marvellously crafted with caramel, popcorn and candy floss.

Thanks
Looks all good to me, bar a single change [The comma after popcorn]. In my personal opinion it looks like great writing too. [I'm no english teacher tho just a student]

The exorbitantly priced stalls wafted an amalgamation of aromas; marvellously crafted with caramel, popcorn, and candy floss.
nvijayan14
Rep:
?
(Original post by drshadowgames)
Looks all good to me, bar a single change [The comma after popcorn]. In my personal opinion it looks like great writing too. [I'm no english teacher tho just a student]

The exorbitantly priced stalls wafted an amalgamation of aromas; marvellously crafted with caramel, popcorn, and candy floss.
Thank you
Davy611
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This would be better:

From the stalls, there wafted an amalgamation of aromas: marvellously crafted caramel, creamy candy floss and exorbitantly priced popcorn.
nvijayan14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davy611)
This would be better:

From the stalls, there wafted an amalgamation of aromas: marvellously crafted caramel, creamy candy floss and exorbitantly priced popcorn.
Thanks I ended up using that in my English Language exam
Davy611
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Delighted
drshadowgames
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
How did it go?
nvijayan14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
How did it go?
I found paper 2 much easier than 1 because I was aware of the texts before the exam
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

Why does the serial comma need to be there?

Thanks
Yes, it's grammatically correct. Nice call.

However, I think the semi-colon actually separates a dependent clause. I think there might be a punctuation error (comma splice) here.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 4 days ago
username4992338
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by tolgarda)
why does the serial comma need to be there?
oxford comma > anything else
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by twist-and-shout)
oxford comma > anything else
I guess? I can't see any ambiguity here, but I respect the comma as people do usually pause before the final item in a syndeton.
username4992338
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
I guess? I can't see any ambiguity here, but I respect the comma as people do usually pause before the final item in a syndeton.
Without the Oxford comma I think that there can be confusion with both clauses. Such as:

I like eggs, toast and orange juice.
I like eggs, toast, and orange juice.

The first makes it seem like the toast and orange juice are one (disgusting) combination, if you get me? Bad example lol. Couldn’t think of anything.

I feel like the only time you don’t really need it is when you have a sentence like:

I kissed him and wondered...

Because the two actions are mutual.
Last edited by username4992338; 4 days ago
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by twist-and-shout)
Without the Oxford comma I think that there can be confusion with both clauses. Such as:

I like eggs, toast and orange juice.
I like eggs, toast, and orange juice.

The first makes it seem like the toast and orange juice are one (disgusting) combination, if you get me? Bad example lol. Couldn’t think of anything.

I feel like the only time you don’t really need it is when you have a sentence like:

I kissed him and wondered...

Because the two actions are mutual.
But I don't think it makes it seem like that. The co-ordinating conjunction for most readers separated the last two items in the syndeton with three items. It's very difficult to see that as a combination unless you state otherwise with more clarity to identify it as a combination (e.g. 'with orange juice' or 'the combination of...').
Last edited by Tolgarda; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (41)
19.43%
Unconditional if firmed (17)
8.06%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.95%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (5)
2.37%
No unconditional offers (146)
69.19%

Watched Threads