Thighs Watch

sunburnt_note
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Sorry if something similar has been asked before, but I thought I'd ask your advice.

Basically, hard as I try, I cannot tone up my thighs. The front of them are very toned, but the sides are horrible, and the inner thigh won't tone either. It's not I don't do any exercise either - I do over 7 hours of dancing a week, including ballet, which you'd THINK would help, but no.

I've never taken up running in a big way, but would this help? It's so unfair that I already do a fair amount of exercise and my legs won't tone, and girls who don't do any at all have gorgeous thighs.
scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have the same problem, my thighs refuse to wholly tone up! I find stretching and/or yoga helps to lengthen and tone your leg muscles so maybe try that?
Noémie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah, do yoga.
i recommend ashtanga yoga. that's a bloody work out and a half.
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Noémie)
yeah, do yoga.
i recommend ashtanga yoga. that's a bloody work out and a half.
Yeah I love ashtanga yoga, it makes you feel so ood afterwards! Helps your breathing control too.
Noémie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Yeah I love ashtanga yoga, it makes you feel so ood afterwards! Helps your breathing control too.
yep
i cant actually breath how i used to anymore, i always do the weird breathy thingy now.
Bebbs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nobody has any body part that they cannot "tone". You just have to work for it. Toning is used to mean a reduction in bodyfat, with an increase in muscle mass.

to tone your thighs, you need to use a sensible calorie deficit diet, with cardio such as HIIT, hill sprints, and SS runs. Combined with weights such as the squat
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
HIIT? SS runs? ^o)What's with the abbreviations? Say what they are :hmmm:
Adorlee
Report 10 years ago
i know its not everyone's thing and its not th most practical thing to do if u dnt hav th facilities, but why don't u try horse riding?

that'll tone up ur thighs and it wont even feel like exercise...
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you could google them if you wanted.

Hiit is high intensity interval training. predominatly anaerobic exercise that alternates short sprints with longer slow periods. I.e. 15x 1min steady pace, 30s sprint

SS is steady state cardio. Where you run at a set pace, normally refering to longer runs. I.e. a 5km run.

Hill sprints are sprints on an incline. Normally done in sets and reps, e.g. 3x5. With short rests between each rep, and long rests between each set.

Squats:

Calorie Deficit: calculating your BMR and eating 500cals beneath it
Toscar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
cut them off.
Toscar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
as the smith's sang
some girls are bigger than others,
some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adorlee)
i know its not everyone's thing and its not th most practical thing to do if u dnt hav th facilities, but why don't u try horse riding?

that'll tone up ur thighs and it wont even feel like exercise...
...horse riding will do very little 'toning' it burns very few calories (so is very ineffective for fat loss) and does not constitute a resistance workout (to build muscle).

As has been said already, cardio, particularly interval training, HIIT, hill sprints, etc, alongside a calorie controlled diet will aid in fat loss and be FAR more effective than horse riding. Plus resistance training, such as weights, will help build muscle.
Adorlee
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=ch0c0h01ic]...horse riding will do very little 'toning' it burns very few calories (so is very ineffective for fat loss) and does not constitute a resistance workout (to build muscle).QUOTE]

it depends how hard you ride. it can burn a lot of calories if u do it properly.
balloon_parade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you tried some simply thigh-toning exercises?
Try http://www.cigna.com/healthinfo/images/h9991142.jpg

Since you want to target the inner and outer specifically then just try 20 reps a day and slowly build up?
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adorlee)
it depends how hard you ride. it can burn a lot of calories if u do it properly.
I've already discussed it before. Compared to other exercises it is relatively inefficient for fat burning and very very inefficient for muscle building.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

Looking at 'running general' you stand to burn at least double the amount of calories as you would 'horse riding general'. Even if you take the horse into a gallop, you're burning the same amount of calories as the average runner running slowly/average. Plus i doubt a horse could sustain a gallop for 1+ hours at a time, let alone the rider hold on for that length of time.

It really doesn't compare, horse riding is very inefficient for fat loss and muscle building. There is a reason why it's so low intensity, the beast does all of the hard work for you, you're simply holding on for the ride.

EDIT: Plus, for the average person horse riding and/or lessons, is far more expensive than more effective cardio and resistance alternatives.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by balloon_parade)
Have you tried some simply thigh-toning exercises?
Try http://www.cigna.com/healthinfo/images/h9991142.jpg

Since you want to target the inner and outer specifically then just try 20 reps a day and slowly build up?
If you're doing 20 reps or more it is VERY unlikely you'll see any increases in muscle size. Plus you are using relatively few, small muscles so you will be burning very few calories to exact any significant fat loss.

If you're going to do 'toning' exercises, you should be training around the 8-12 rep range (ie; the resistance is high enough that you physically struggle to perform the last rep of the set, not that you simply stop after 8-12 reps). Plus COMPOUND exercises are far better (ie; squats, deadlifts, lunges, stepups, etc) they work far more muscles so you burn more calories and stand to build more muscle = GREATER TONING!
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Squats and running is your best bet. I never use to do squats before but then I took it up and its brilliant, you dont have to use heavy weights and dumbells at all, its more about the repetition and the act of the squat I find. I also go running a lot on the treadmill and running outside. Ive found a combination of squats, running and the stepper have given the best results and dare I say it I'm really happy with my thighs and derrière as it has given definite results.
Bebbs
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin2K8)
Squats and running is your best bet. I never use to do squats before but then I took it up and its brilliant, I say it I'm really happy with my thighs and derrière as it has given definite results.

marry me?
balloon_parade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
If you're doing 20 reps or more it is VERY unlikely you'll see any increases in muscle size. Plus you are using relatively few, small muscles so you will be burning very few calories to exact any significant fat loss.

If you're going to do 'toning' exercises, you should be training around the 8-12 rep range (ie; the resistance is high enough that you physically struggle to perform the last rep of the set, not that you simply stop after 8-12 reps). Plus COMPOUND exercises are far better (ie; squats, deadlifts, lunges, stepups, etc) they work far more muscles so you burn more calories and stand to build more muscle = GREATER TONING!
Sounds like you know what you're talking about!

I was just simply trying to give her something simple and easy to do. If she is already doing 7+ hours of exercise a week just something like what I suggested might be easier to fit in or just do at home.
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)

^^^

Roughly how I go about it, especially with the squats and stepups.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads