What's the appeal of Tones and I? Watch

RJDG14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Her single Dance Monkey has been at number 1 of the UK charts this week for about the fifth week running, but all I hear is a very boring melody with extremely annoying, screechy vocals. The singles chart is now based primarily on streams rather than physical sales or downloads, so people must be enjoying the track, but I don't get why such a tedious (in my opinion) song can enjoy this amount of fame.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Electronic music, probably.
(although it can't compare to some *Finnish* electronic music *seitsemäntuhatta kolmesataa päivää plays*)
RJDG14
Rep:
?
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Electronic music, probably.
(although it can't compare to some *Finnish* electronic music *seitsemäntuhatta kolmesataa päivää plays*)
But club DJs won't be streaming directly off of Spotify or Apple Music, and most of the ones that own a copy will have bought it by now.

The current state of mainstream pop music is an international embarrassment, being composed almost entirely of dull, tedious electronic tracks.
Last edited by RJDG14; 1 week ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RJDG14)
Her single Dance Monkey has been at number 1 of the UK charts this week for about the fifth week running, but all I hear is a very boring melody with extremely annoying, screechy vocals. The singles chart is now based primarily on streams rather than physical sales or downloads, so people must be enjoying the track, but I don't get why such a tedious (in my opinion) song can enjoy this amount of fame.
i am a self-confessed music supremacist - my taste in music is empirically better than anyone elses. i only listen to old music because there is nothing, and i mean nothing original these days. i can't stand the song but people are screaming out for originality and this has it.
RJDG14
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
i am a self-confessed music supremacist - my taste in music is empirically better than anyone elses. i only listen to old music because there is nothing, and i mean nothing original these days. i can't stand the song but people are screaming out for originality and this has it.
What kind of music do you like? I'm kind of similar in this respect.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What kind of music do you like? I'm kind of similar in this respect.
Top tier: Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Kinks, Queen, Oasis.
Then second tier would be Led Zeppelin, The Who, Dream Theater, The Stone Roses, The Rolling Stones, Metallica, The Beach Boys, ABBA etc.

Agree with you about Nirvana and rap, but the thing you need to understand about the Beatles is the sheer volume of good music. you can listen to any album eg. Abbey Road and everything is worth listening to
RJDG14
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
Top tier: Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Kinks, Queen, Oasis.
Then second tier would be Led Zeppelin, The Who, Dream Theater, The Stone Roses, The Rolling Stones, Metallica, The Beach Boys, ABBA etc.

Agree with you about Nirvana and rap, but the thing you need to understand about the Beatles is the sheer volume of good music. you can listen to any album eg. Abbey Road and everything is worth listening to
To be honest I've never been a particularly big fan of The Beatles or most other major bands from that era except for The Byrds. I like a lot of late 70s to mid 90s alternative and indie, especially the Rain Parade, The Church, Husker Du, Moving Targets, Ride, The Corn Dollies, The Wedding Present, the early R.E.M. and The Connells. You should try listening to some of these to see if you like them .

I also like a lot of Green Day's music up to American Idiot, but their 2010s stuff is terrible. In addition, I like certain other artists such as Tom Petty. Contrary to popular opinion, my favourite overall album by him would be Long After Dark (I have the original 1985 Japanese made American CD of it ), which contains A One Story Town, Change of Heart, Straight Into Darkness and Finding Out, all of which I really like, though its lead single You Got Lucky is just dull. His best song though would probably be The Waiting, though all the other songs on its album are dull.

Another reason why I dislike a lot of music from after the mid 90s would be because of the loudness war, and therefore I also hate brickwall compressed remasters of older recordings - I always try and make sure I buy the least compressed digital copy that I can (usually an 80s or early 90s mastered CD) when it comes to old recordings so that I get the best dynamic range.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be honest I've never been a particularly big fan of The Beatles or most other major bands from that era except for The Byrds. I like a lot of late 70s to mid 90s alternative and indie, especially the Rain Parade, The Church, Husker Du, Moving Targets, Ride, The Corn Dollies, The Wedding Present, the early R.E.M. and The Connells. You should try listening to some of these to see if you like them .

I also like a lot of Green Day's music up to American Idiot, but their 2010s stuff is terrible. In addition, I like certain other artists such as Tom Petty. Contrary to popular opinion, my favourite overall album by him would be Long After Dark (I have the original 1985 Japanese made American CD of it ), which contains A One Story Town, Change of Heart, Straight Into Darkness and Finding Out, all of which I really like, though its lead single You Got Lucky is just dull. His best song though would probably be The Waiting, though all the other songs on its album are dull.

Another reason why I dislike a lot of music from after the mid 90s would be because of the loudness war, and therefore I also hate brickwall compressed remasters of older recordings - I always try and make sure I buy the least compressed digital copy that I can (usually an 80s or early 90s mastered CD) when it comes to old recordings so that I get the best dynamic range.
a not familiar with some of those bands, may check them out if you can recommend individual songs!. love tom petty and only know 74-75 from the connells and love it. agree with you 100% about green day, 90s green day were amazing.

from your tastes i recommend you try lynyrd skynyrd - simple man, they might be giants - birdhouse in your soul, dream theater - a change of seasons, and the stone roses - sally cinnamon if you're not familiar
RJDG14
Rep:
?
Elephant Stone is probably my favourite Stone Roses song, however Sally Cinnamon is like a poor imitation of the Jesus and Mary Chain. 74-75 is okay but it isn't the best Connells song despite being their only hit - I suggest you check out Slackjawed, Try, Hey Wow, Sat. Night (USA) and One Simple Word if you want to hear their other stuff. They had a string of great albums between 1985 and 1996 (not counting their last two which are very mediocre) despite being a one hit wonder.

Aside from The Connells, these would be the best songs in my opinion from some of the others:
Rain Parade:
You Are My Friend, This Can't Be Today

The Church:
Metropolis, Almost With You, Reptile, Lost, Too Fast For You, Is This Where You Live (particularly past the halfway point at around 3:30 when it properly takes off)

Husker Du:
Anything from Warehouse: Songs and Stories (70 minutes of melodic guitar power pop), as well as Games, Keep Hanging On, Dead Set on Destruction, Celebrated Summer, Turn On The News, Pink Turns To Blue, Diane, It's Not Funny Anymore

Ride:
Dreams Burn Down, Unfamiliar, Vapour Trail, Time Of Her Time

Corn Dollies:
Map Of The World, Be Small Again

Moving Targets:
The Other Side, Seperate Hearts, June 7th, Less Than Gravity, Faith

I also forgot to mention that I really like the Soul Asylum song Sometime To Return, which was released about 5 years before they became well known and has received very little attention.

I was given someone's old vinyl record of Second Helping by Lynyrd Skynrd and for 1974 it's a pretty decent album, but it's not one of my favourites - in other words it's the kind of thing that I would have in my collection but not listen to every day.
ellaswords
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
idk really, i just listen to the radio & whatever music is on there. they always play like the same songs every 2hours or something though so i hear the song all the time. but, it like it. i guess the majority like it because it’s something different to the usual Ariana Grande or Ed Sheeran song they play. not saying anything bad against Ed though, i’m a big fan. but Ariana’s music i’m not always too keen on. i liked her older stuff better tbh :/

it also has quite a catchy chorus that just gets stuck in your head
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But club DJs won't be streaming directly off of Spotify or Apple Music, and most of the ones that own a copy will have bought it by now.

The current state of mainstream pop music is an international embarrassment, being composed almost entirely of dull, tedious electronic tracks.
BOOMER
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (128)
63.68%
No (73)
36.32%

Watched Threads