UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have bio at degree level. It's just a huge dissapointment as yesterday I had hopes for a 4yr course! But **** happens... Some 6yr courses criteria don't match mine because of GCSEs are taken into account and I have 2 Sciences (Maths & Physics). TBH some of the criteria at some places is ******** as in some don't give a damn about a levels on the GEP courses and then all of a sudden take it into consideration on the 5yr programs.
Rennie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, that really isn't fair. You would think that a degree would suffice.
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A 4yr degree aswell lol I should of just did A levels in 2 years instead of 1 lol.

I phoned like 10 medical schools now.. they all have got cut off scores at 610,630 and 650.
jenifaar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
A 4yr degree aswell lol I should of just did A levels in 2 years instead of 1 lol.

I phoned like 10 medical schools now.. they all have got cut off scores at 610,630 and 650.
all of them?? that's seems so unfair, especially when you have a degree! especially since you could probably do it again tomorrow and get a completely different result.
the whole thing is a bit of an unknown quantity, mine went okay today but i had to make sure i asked for a calculator and the guy was like "oh....i forgot to give the girl before you one..."
i know it's meant to make med school admissions more "fair" across the board but....hmm. i suppose no way of doing it is perfect.
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jenifaar)
all of them?? that's seems so unfair, especially when you have a degree! especially since you could probably do it again tomorrow and get a completely different result.
the whole thing is a bit of an unknown quantity, mine went okay today but i had to make sure i asked for a calculator and the guy was like "oh....i forgot to give the girl before you one..."
i know it's meant to make med school admissions more "fair" across the board but....hmm. i suppose no way of doing it is perfect.

How did you do??

which was the worst section?
jenifaar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
How did you do??

which was the worst section?
i got an average of 717, but im confused about it altogether. i missed out sooo many on the quantitative subset, and forgot to just guess many of them, but it was the second best section scorewise. i found decision analysis a bit harder than on the practice but i think that was just because i was flagging a bit by then...verbal was fine, abstract i'm never great at, but it seemed not bad.
good luck to everyone else doing theirs! sure you'll all do fab, just dont stress about it, adrenaline does get you through it..!
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Really? So I'm screwed too then, eh?
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on your a levels,gcses etc. I am kinda really screwed though lol. I have only 2 places to apply to, I can make it easily 4 if I take A level chem this year but hell I need to concentrate on my degree.

You can apply to the non-ukcat unis and Leeds, Dundee, Aberdeen.

I'm going for
Dundee
UEA (they want a level bio) aint got it
Aberdeen (they want chem) aint got it
Imperial

Just hope my degree satisfies their bio n chem appetite.
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jenifaar)
i got an average of 717, but im confused about it altogether. i missed out sooo many on the quantitative subset, and forgot to just guess many of them, but it was the second best section scorewise. i found decision analysis a bit harder than on the practice but i think that was just because i was flagging a bit by then...verbal was fine, abstract i'm never great at, but it seemed not bad.
good luck to everyone else doing theirs! sure you'll all do fab, just dont stress about it, adrenaline does get you through it..!

weird, so are we sposed to guess if we dont know or just leave them blank???
jenifaar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
weird, so are we sposed to guess if we dont know or just leave them blank???
well i think guessing doesn't do any harm, and may do good, so i'd go for that. i kind of just panicked at the end, so i possibly remember it as worse than it was....i found the quantitative questions overall easier than the practice ones, it was just the time pressure that was hard. but i think that section must be weighted a certain way too allow for that, or something.
Rennie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on your a levels,gcses etc. I am kinda really screwed though lol. I have only 2 places to apply to, I can make it easily 4 if I take A level chem this year but hell I need to concentrate on my degree.

You can apply to the non-ukcat unis and Leeds, Dundee, Aberdeen.

I'm going for
Dundee
UEA (they want a level bio) aint got it
Aberdeen (they want chem) aint got it
Imperial

Just hope my degree satisfies their bio n chem appetite.
As the IB requirements differ by an awful lot, I've had to be really picky about where I apply. Their A-level requirements are generally the same but IB is soooo varied. Originally I was applying to 4 places for medicine, but now I've cut it down to 3 and am applying for nursing too.

I am going to be applying to: Sheffield, Peninsula and Hull York.

The IB has a maximum of 45 points. Sheffield want 35, Hull York 32 and Peninsula 30-31. Most places want 36.
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah i got my test on 16th august.... im kinda thinking this is a bad date.... so close to AS results!
It was one of the only weekends free though
Dutchess of Doncaster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just got back from test centre.

VR: 620
QR: 650
AR: 650
DA: 710

Glad it's over tbh. Use the earplugs people, seriously.
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Dutchess of Doncaster)
Just got back from test centre.

VR: 620
QR: 650
AR: 650
DA: 710

Glad it's over tbh. Use the earplugs people, seriously.
Well done!

Was it noisy there?
Dutchess of Doncaster
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not hugely - but the result of 20+ people sniffing, coughing, shuffling and clicking ends up grating on your concentration, not to mention your nerves.
iheartvet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
can you retake the UKCAT or do they only take into consideration one exam per year?
nas7232
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's one per academic year
Mr Halpert
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To those who have already taken the UKCAT: what were the maths topics that came up i.e. percentages, conversions, speed/distance/time, volumes, probability?
Eden01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Which med school has a cut off of 650
(Got mine on the 8th.... )
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Three weeks left till I sit the UKCAT and to be frank, I'm really crapping myself. I feel like I haven't done much preparation but that's really due to saving the UKCAT test on their website till two weeks or the week before as a mock test. I've been practising from this book and it's helped quite a bit. A few of my friends have sat it already and got scores in the low 600's and they claimed that it went fine and I shouldn't worry blah blah blah! Just hope the nerves don't get the better of me on the day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (50)
23.58%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (69)
32.55%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (43)
20.28%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (18)
8.49%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
15.09%

Watched Threads