The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

in that case, probably edinburgh? i thought they all had fixed cut off points each year?
Reply 221
Isometrix
in that case, probably edinburgh? i thought they all had fixed cut off points each year?

they all have a non published cut off point of some kind once all the applications are in.

If there are most of the applicants ahve low ukcat scores then the cut of will be lower or vice versa.

however most unis weigh the aplication as a whole.
Good luck guys!! I remember doing mine. Was so nervous... but there was nothing to be nervous about!

Remember a poor UKCAT won't completely ruin your chances. A friend of mine got an average of 400ish and got 3 offers! So chillax!
Pepe Le Poosh
Good luck guys!! I remember doing mine. Was so nervous... but there was nothing to be nervous about!

Remember a poor UKCAT won't completely ruin your chances. A friend of mine got an average of 400ish and got 3 offers! So chillax!

Wow...where did they apply?
scaryhair
Wow...where did they apply?

Liverpool and Lancaster (which don't use the UKCAT) and Manchester which do.

She got rejected from Leeds.

But it just proves its not a barrier. I mean OK she didn't apply to all UKCAT universities but these were her original 4 choices anyway so it made no difference.
Im sorry if this has been posted already but are some of the answers in the verbal reasoning section in the "passing the UKCAT and BMAT" book (2008 edition) wrong?
somethingbeautiful
If I register and whatnot to do the UKCAT next week will I still have a chance of taking it? (as apparently spaces fill up pretty quick) Thanks!

There will be a space for you (people book right up to the deadline) but don't assume it will be at the time you want and the centre you want. If you can book it now but it isn't as if you have to book now or you can't get a UKCAT score :smile:
some people have said you have to ask for a calculaTOR and some say its on the screen in the test. can anyone tell me which it is?
o and do ya reckon they would let me bring my own one?
* Dain Bramaged
some people have said you have to ask for a calculaTOR and some say its on the screen in the test. can anyone tell me which it is?
o and do ya reckon they would let me bring my own one?

they just give you some generic calculator...very basic...nothing too fancy, mainly for quick arithmetic. don't think you can bring your own.
Original post by {&#1581
Im sorry if this has been posted already but are some of the answers in the verbal reasoning section in the "passing the UKCAT and BMAT" book (2008 edition) wrong?
I have no idea but I refuse to believe I got like 2/15 in the first fifteen questions of their verbal reasoning test examples. I might as well bloody guess the whole thing at this rate.
Reply 230
!MEna
I have no idea but I refuse to believe I got like 2/15 in the first fifteen questions of their verbal reasoning test examples. I might as well bloody guess the whole thing at this rate.

it feels as if the verbal reasoning questions are much harder in that book than they should be.

also they dont give you enough time in the damb book.

Are we suppoed to answer the questions correctly or answer all of them??
jjkkll
it feels as if the verbal reasoning questions are much harder in that book than they should be.

also they dont give you enough time in the damb book.

Are we suppoed to answer the questions correctly or answer all of them??
I really don't have a clue to be honest. I think it's ridiculous how you're supposed to answer four questions based on one passage in less than two minutes - it'll take like 40 seconds to read the passage, 10 seconds to comprehend EACH statement and you're left with nothing to work with and you fall into a time laspe spiral where you end up guessing a lot but yet still being delayed because you have to scroll down every time which wastes a lot of time too.

I'm good with Decision and Abstract. I'm really, really, really bad at Verbal and based on the Quantitive questions on the UKCAT, I'm really crap on that section too - and I do A-Level Maths! :p:
!MEna

thank you. i can relax a bit now.
!MEna
based on the Quantitive questions on the UKCAT, I'm really crap on that section too - and I do A-Level Maths! :p:

Me too, I've always been good at Maths yet struggle with this section. I think it's because I panic and don't focus enough on it :frown: :confused:
scaryhair
Me too, I've always been good at Maths yet struggle with this section. I think it's because I panic and don't focus enough on it :frown: :confused:
There's really so much to read and such little time. I don't like how it starts off with long questions and then shorter questions come half way through when you have two minutes left to answer the rest.

On the other hand, I carried on and tried the Abstract Reasoning section today in the UKCAT specimen on the website and got 40/65 which I'm relatively pleased with - had 30 seconds left. Most of my choices were based on decisions after a quick glance too but I'm never too sure about choosing "neither" after having a look at my answers and seeing no more than five I put down. Wonder what score out of 900 getting 40/65 would get me. I'm really counting on that and Decision Analysis to pull up my score because I've got a bad feeling about the first two sections.

How exactly are we scored? Based on how many we get right? Based on how we are compared to other candidates in the same centre? I don't know anything about how we're scored.
!MEna

How exactly are we scored? Based on how many we get right? Based on how we are compared to other candidates in the same centre? I don't know anything about how we're scored.

Nobody knows exactly, otherwise we'd be able to estimate our marks from practise tests. I think it's a mix of how well you do compared to other candidates (which is strange as not everyone has done them when you do your test) and each answer being worth a different amount of marks.
All I know is that you can't simply work it out as a percentage then multiply it by 900. Unfortunately.
When you get the result is it just scored or are you shown which answers you got right/wrong? I'm just a bit paranoid after disagreeing with several answers in the official UKCAT book.
scaryhair
Nobody knows exactly, otherwise we'd be able to estimate our marks from practise tests. I think it's a mix of how well you do compared to other candidates (which is strange as not everyone has done them when you do your test) and each answer being worth a different amount of marks.
All I know is that you can't simply work it out as a percentage then multiply it by 900. Unfortunately.
I'm glad that's the case of not using the percentage because really, I'd stand no chance. As soon as I booked the UKCAT for August 12th I was ambitious to think I could do well and get a decent score of that slightly above average - sometimes being average ain't a bad thing. I just hope I can get a score of at least 600.

I wish some of you would post up what marks you've been getting in the practise questions on the UKCAT site because I actually feel really isolated as if it's just me doing crap in them.

Based on the ones I've marked:
Verbal Reasoning - 24/44
Abstract Reasoning - 40/65
callum9999
When you get the result is it just scored or are you shown which answers you got right/wrong? I'm just a bit paranoid after disagreeing with several answers in the official UKCAT book.

It is scored :smile:
!MEna
I'm glad that's the case of not using the percentage because really, I'd stand no chance. As soon as I booked the UKCAT for August 12th I was ambitious to think I could do well and get a decent score of that slightly above average - sometimes being average ain't a bad thing. I just hope I can get a score of at least 600.

I wish some of you would post up what marks you've been getting in the practise questions on the UKCAT site because I actually feel really isolated as if it's just me doing crap in them.

Based on the ones I've marked:
Verbal Reasoning - 24/44
Abstract Reasoning - 40/65

On the last one I did, a few weeks ago:
Verbal Reasoning - 29/44
Abstract Reasoning - 39/65

It's not going brilliant for me to be honest, like you I would be happy with an 'average' mark, because at the moment, I am terrified of getting really below average.
I've left the official UKCAT questions alone for a while, but have been doing some of the similar one of the UKCAT help thread. I'm trying to work on keeping calm and time management mostly!

Latest

Trending

Trending