The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
I would avoid southampton if you have an avg of 535.5 they had a cut off of an average of 550 last year.
Reply 501
Done my UKCAT... Not done especially well but i'm in the 500-700 bracket, which i'm happy about.

VR - 540
QR - 650
AR - 520
DA - 440
Avg - 538

Thought it was hard and stupid lol. I think the BMAT is a much better admission test, and i'll be sitting that for an application to UCL.

It seems as though we're in similar UKCAT positions here jjkkll.
The BMAT may be better but it sure as hell is harder! It looks ridiculously harder than the UKCAT. Revising GCSE Physics again won't save me with the BMAT. It doesn't help that you sit the BMAT after you've applied - it's a huge risk and gamble. You'll never know till you try I guess.

My body clock is officially messed up. I really need to get back into routine before Tuesday arrives. I can't wait till next week is over, really I can't. It's got to the point where I'm exhausted from being stressed and worried about the UKCAT and results and I just want to get them both out of the way as soon as I can. Next week will either be the best week of my life or the worst (so far). Just going to go with the flow and see what happens. :frown:
Reply 503
Yeah the BMAT is lots harder but it just seems more relavant to me. Science, or fitting silly shapes into patterns?

Lol. Yeah I turn nocturnal in the holidays... Keep staying up later and later, getting up later and later every day.

Your UKCAT isn't the be all and end all of your application. Infact many medical schools are still deciding whether it's useful or not, and don't use it massively in the admissions process. Sure a bad score will drag your overall application score down a bit, but in comparison to the personal statement, grades and the all important work experience, it's impact is minimal (at many med schools).
So don't get too stressed about it, it's so not worth it.
Reply 504
nas7232
I would avoid southampton if you have an avg of 535.5 they had a cut off of an average of 550 last year.

They wont be able to find an applicant that is similar to mee (I hope) so the cut off might not count!!
Reply 505
Kinkerz
Done my UKCAT... Not done especially well but i'm in the 500-700 bracket, which i'm happy about.

VR - 540
QR - 650
AR - 520
DA - 440
Avg - 538

Thought it was hard and stupid lol. I think the BMAT is a much better admission test, and i'll be sitting that for an application to UCL.

It seems as though we're in similar UKCAT positions here jjkkll.

Yes prety similar!! how did you find the timing? and did you find the AR hard? and why is your QR score soo good?

!MEna
The BMAT may be better but it sure as hell is harder! It looks ridiculously harder than the UKCAT. Revising GCSE Physics again won't save me with the BMAT. It doesn't help that you sit the BMAT after you've applied - it's a huge risk and gamble. You'll never know till you try I guess.

My body clock is officially messed up. I really need to get back into routine before Tuesday arrives. I can't wait till next week is over, really I can't. It's got to the point where I'm exhausted from being stressed and worried about the UKCAT and results and I just want to get them both out of the way as soon as I can. Next week will either be the best week of my life or the worst (so far). Just going to go with the flow and see what happens. :frown:

Kinkerz
Yeah the BMAT is lots harder but it just seems more relavant to me. Science, or fitting silly shapes into patterns?

Lol. Yeah I turn nocturnal in the holidays... Keep staying up later and later, getting up later and later every day.

Your UKCAT isn't the be all and end all of your application. Infact many medical schools are still deciding whether it's useful or not, and don't use it massively in the admissions process. Sure a bad score will drag your overall application score down a bit, but in comparison to the personal statement, grades and the all important work experience, it's impact is minimal (at many med schools).
So don't get too stressed about it, it's so not worth it.

Well luckily for me i do Chemitry, Biology and Physics @ A Level so if i find the science and maths hard it just means im dum!!

and the aptitude sections are more brain based rather than observations based, so its more brain demanding than the UKCAT was.

This is why everyone thinks the BMAT is harder compared to the UKCAT as they had to think. (If your brain worked for the UKCAT good for you it just means your suited to Aptitude tests)

As for the essay well i need expert help for that bit, but im sure with some practice i can get my ideas onto paper fast!!

And ill just hope that SOTON can see the kind of person i am through my PS, so hopefully thier cut off wont count!
what do they use the non-cognitive analysis for? aren't loads of people just going to tick the best possible answers since they can't actually find out if they're lying or not?
jjkkll
And ill just hope that SOTON can see the kind of person i am through my PS, so hopefully thier cut off wont count!

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think it works like that. You have to meet their cut-off score like you have to meet their minimum requirements for GCSEs and A levels, before they even consider looking at your Personal Statement :s-smilie:
Reply 508
scaryhair
I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think it works like that. You have to meet their cut-off score like you have to meet their minimum requirements for GCSEs and A levels, before they even consider looking at your Personal Statement :s-smilie:

yeah scaryhair is right. If you don't meet their minimum cut off point, they just trash you there and then. Its the same with Liverpool, if you don't have 15 points at GCSE where A/A* = 2, B= 1 then they advise not to apply because its a waste of a choice for one and you will automatically be rejected.

What i would advise those who have done their UKCAT is to phone up the universities that require a UKCAT and tell them your score and ask whether it is above the cut off point.
Reply 509
Isometrix
what do they use the non-cognitive analysis for? aren't loads of people just going to tick the best possible answers since they can't actually find out if they're lying or not?

The Qs for those were really weird! I sat there smiling to myself at their weirdness.... But yeah :biggrin: I think many do go for the kiss-ass type choices but its a bit hard to do so with the type of Qs I got! So I had to be honest :P Wonder if unis actually read what they say about us....

May be to judge our "personality"?
Reply 510
scaryhair

I called and they told me they have no cut off score and they dont put that mcuh weight on the UKCAT, they dont have a cut off score they say "the UKCAT score will be used as part of the admissions process along with the other information"
The personality test was not right about me at all. I did it really quickly and tried to answer honestly. I asked other people whether they thought what it had said about me was true and they said no as well. I hope that they take it with a pinch of salt!
Reply 512
After my drama of not being able to reschedule I've now rescheduled it another test centre for 29th August.

Well done for everyone who's sat it so far - you've all done so amazingly well! It makes me proud, and equally a little scared. I wish I could have got it out of the way like you guys, but such is life!

In my opinion, I very much doubt they base a lot on the personality test -- especially considering they interview you.
Holsy
In my opinion, I very much doubt they base a lot on the personality test -- especially considering they interview you.

UKCAT website
The consortium believes that it is not appropriate to use the results of the non-cognitive sub-test 5 in the actual selection process until such time as there is evidence to support a relationship between the test results and success or failure as a medical or dental student, and eventually as a doctor or dentist. However, it is anticipated that some universities will use the results from the sub-test 5, where appropriate, in the counselling and mentoring of individual students while on their medical/dental degree programme and to assist in their personal development towards becoming a successful doctor or dentist. The test result is therefore still important.

The way I read it, your non-cognitive secion will have no effect on your application.
Reply 514
Myoclonic Jerk
The way I read it, your non-cognitive secion will have no effect on your application.

Yes, I think you're very much correct there.
Reply 515
jjkkll
Yes prety similar!! how did you find the timing? and did you find the AR hard? and why is your QR score soo good?

I found the timing on VR and QR tough, had to guess some on those. And yes, I couldn't grasp AR at all... And as you can see I also couldn't grasp DA at all. Don't really know why my QR score is decent, just found it fairly straight forward really...

And I do all three sciences too, so I won't have to do much/any physics top up revision for the BMAT!
I really don't like those questions where you have to work out the code backwards using a given statement in Decision Analysis. Seems to catch me out every time.

Between now and Tuesday, I'm just focusing on the first two sections, especially the Quantitive Reasoning. I spent about 6 minutes answering four of the questions in the full test practise paper. I got them right too but I just spent too long on them. I don't understand how anyone can answer them each in 30 seconds while comprehending the question and actually doing the maths part of it too. I guess it really is designed for us not to work out every question.
Reply 517
The QR questions on the practice paper are much, much harder than the questions that you'll get. Trust me...
And I really struggled with the codes too (got 440). That section dragged my score down considerably.
Reply 518
Kinkerz
The QR questions on the practice paper are much, much harder than the questions that you'll get. Trust me...
And I really struggled with the codes too (got 440). That section dragged my score down considerably.

there not much much harder they just have written information in the practise test. the ones in the real test have no written information just graphs of tables. However the question in the practise test are in the bank and can come up, i got the Magret Thature test in my QR but different questions!!
Reply 519
I thought the QR questions on my test were much, much easier than those on the website. I could hardly do any of those on the site...

Latest