The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
ok im kind of freakin :frown: rite so iv done my ukcat but can u repeat itagn this year? i only averaged at 625 n almost everyone i no has got higher i dunno if theres even point in me applyin
Reply 821
lisa_xx
ok im kind of freakin :frown: rite so iv done my ukcat but can u repeat itagn this year? i only averaged at 625 n almost everyone i no has got higher i dunno if theres even point in me applyin

you got above average and ur still worrying im gonna go for Dont apply!

less applicants the better my chances :biggrin:

also some people are just abnormal and wont stand a chance at interview!!, so less worrying if you scored over 600!!

only people with under 600 are allowed to worry!! this should be a RULE!!
FTC199
newcastle automatically reject everyone with AAA predictions

Im confused, why would they reject everyone with such good predicted grades?
Reply 823
considering how much stress people go through in their ukcats, its such a relief to get it over and done with, tbh. Oh, and don't worry about you scores, which are pretty decent mate. Just be careful of the uni's that may have a cut off score (but i'm sure places like QMUL have a min score of 600 - People who applied last year said that this was THE score...but it may change this year). Anyways, good luck to people who are taking it soon.
Reply 824
OriginofSymmetry
Im confused, why would they reject everyone with such good predicted grades?

sorry i meant those who dont have AAA predictions, typos lol!
verbal reasoning - 670
QR - 700
AR - 660
DA - 670

i guessed more than half of the QR! its a joke! its doesnt judge how clever you are, just how lucky you guess!
shahrukh24
verbal reasoning - 670
QR - 700
AR - 660
DA - 670

i guessed more than half of the QR! its a joke! its doesnt judge how clever you are, just how lucky you guess!

u did really well in ur Verbal reasoning..I hv my ucat at the end of this month.

Verbal reasoning is pretty difficult coz of the time limit. How did u cope?
!MEna
Damn our scores in each section are pretty much on par lawl! (Though your average is 3 points higher than mine!) Anyway, don't pull yourself down about it. I felt really bad about it even after getting AAAA in my AS results this time last week but it's got to the point where it's done and you can only focus on strengthening every other aspect of your application. All I can say is be wary of where you're going to apply to. For instance, I've decided not to apply to King's and Barts due to the circulation of their cut-off scores. That's as much as I can say. Just don't dwell on it too much like I did.

Your average is slightly lower than mine though we're in the same boat with regards to UKCAT vs. AS results. Same advice as above.

wats the cut off score for kings n barts?
SilentGirl
u did really well in ur Verbal reasoning..I hv my ucat at the end of this month.

Verbal reasoning is pretty difficult coz of the time limit. How did u cope?

i don't know whether its just my luck or something but the whole thing was soo much easier than the practice test! the extracts were really small, like 3 small paragraphs max and then i had a small paragraphs about henry the 8th, with questions like ' did henry the 8th create the english church because he wanted to have a divorce' and 'did he marry eight times?' which i didnt even have to look read. i think i was just lucky, or maybe it is just easier..
shahrukh24
i don't know whether its just my luck or something but the whole thing was soo much easier than the practice test! the extracts were really small, like 3 small paragraphs max and then i had a small paragraphs about henry the 8th, with questions like ' did henry the 8th create the english church because he wanted to have a divorce' and 'did he marry eight times?' which i didnt even have to look read. i think i was just lucky, or maybe it is just easier..

I'm pretty sure the Did he marry eight times required reading of the text...

EDIT: Removed answers.
To those of you, who are getting all ' worried' abt their ukcat scored being like 605-630 !! . . u reallyy have no need to ! .. You shoukd infact get Happy ! ..
I have a few freinds who are into QM medic 08 with 605, and 633 etc ! .. as Long as you are over 600, you definately have a decent chace of getting in ! .. ofcourse with all the other stuff !

Even though uni's say they dont count Ukcat with such importacne.. they practically lie ! . . we all know if the uni has somone with 717 and 610, they are probly more likely to choose the 717 one.. if both are of the same ability, ps..grades n all.. etc !

I have AAA in my A2's at Chem, Bio and Law... n taking a gap year ! AS Psychology at A ! .. n in the gap year have taken additional as level..of Physics !

I was just wondering if anyone else is finding the verbal reasoning test horeendously difficult !!! .. i cant seeem to get any of the questions correct in the book !! . . its suchh a mess !! .. n i dont even agree with half othe asnwers ! .. i got like 6/30 correct ! .. and thats the only section I have prepared for !

those..who have already done their tests... are the passages the same length as the ones in the book ? or slightly easier.?

make me feel good..its 4:am.. i am panickingg !! .. lol !..

Good luck to the rest ! .. though i definately need the most !
Reply 831
ShafaqRauf
To those of you, who are getting all ' worried' abt their ukcat scored being like 605-630 !! . . u reallyy have no need to ! .. You shoukd infact get Happy ! ..
I have a few freinds who are into QM medic 08 with 605, and 633 etc ! .. as Long as you are over 600, you definately have a decent chace of getting in ! .. ofcourse with all the other stuff !

Even though uni's say they dont count Ukcat with such importacne.. they practically lie ! . . we all know if the uni has somone with 717 and 610, they are probly more likely to choose the 717 one.. if both are of the same ability, ps..grades n all.. etc !

I have AAA in my A2's at Chem, Bio and Law... n taking a gap year ! AS Psychology at A ! .. n in the gap year have taken additional as level..of Physics !

I was just wondering if anyone else is finding the verbal reasoning test horeendously difficult !!! .. i cant seeem to get any of the questions correct in the book !! . . its suchh a mess !! .. n i dont even agree with half othe asnwers ! .. i got like 6/30 correct ! .. and thats the only section I have prepared for !

those..who have already done their tests... are the passages the same length as the ones in the book ? or slightly easier.?

make me feel good..its 4:am.. i am panickingg !! .. lol !..

Good luck to the rest ! .. though i definately need the most !

hey
im in the same boat with havin finished ur alevels already at AAA....this is kinda a personal question but did u get rejected last yr n then applyin agn or r u jus applyin for the first time? the reason im askin is because i dunno whether to take a gap year or go to uni(to do chem) as my parents r puttin on pressure to go to uni this yr incase i dnt get in agn. i didnt apply for medicine last yr as my predictions wernt gud enough.
o n the verbal reasonin is better in the real thing than the practice test....the passages are way smaller. :smile:
To people who are worrying about the UKCAT score: Dont worry.
To put it into perspective, the UKCAT makes up only 8% of the application at Edinburgh and 10% at St. Andrews.
So its really not the end of the world if your UKCAT score isn't that high as you have the other parts like PS to make up for.
Reply 833
Original post by &#34315
To people who are worrying about the UKCAT score: Dont worry.
To put it into perspective, the UKCAT makes up only 8% of the application at Edinburgh and 10% at St. Andrews.
So its really not the end of the world if your UKCAT score isn't that high as you have the other parts like PS to make up for.

:ditto:

I have a conundrum. I can't work out the rationale for this Abstract Reasoning question. I know the answer, but not how to get to it. Anyone fancy tackling it? :h:

I've attached it to this post.

Edit: And another one!
Reply 834
The first one I'd say B, cos set A the shape is turned 180 degrees and set A the shape is truned 90 degrees clockwise.

And second one i'd say A, although not too sure. Set A has one line of symmetry whilst set B has several?
scaryhair
Thanks :smile: I am a true believer in trying to stay calm and completely focusing your attention on the test so you can work as quickly and efficiently as possible! I really struggled with the time limits in practices, so I cut down the times that are given to say 15 minutes from the given 20, and practiced like that. It was a real shock in the exam to be able to finish with time left over, I can only pin in down to adrenaline to be honest!
Good luck for yours, I highly recommend using the www.medicmix.com site to practise the UKCAT, they have tips and a long practice test for each section. You have to sign up, but it's definitely worth it.

hey i just tried the quantitative reasoning on that, and got MUCH lower on those questions than on other practice qs. in the actual exam are the questions like the ones on the medicmix website??
ermm, for the first one i think it is set B as two shapes are black and at right angles where as set A two shapes are opposite.

not relaly sure about the second
Reply 837
Original post by &#34315
the UKCAT makes up only 8% of the application at Edinburgh

Wow, that really is a consolation. :smile: I'm doing mine in 4 days and I'm so stressed out because I was thinking of Edinburgh which some people told me weighted UKCAT very heavily but I'm really rubbish at it. So I was just thinking there's no point... until I read this. Thank you! ^___^
Reply 838
Raquel//
The first one I'd say B, cos set A the shape is turned 180 degrees and set A the shape is truned 90 degrees clockwise.

And second one i'd say A, although not too sure. Set A has one line of symmetry whilst set B has several?

I'd say you're definitely right on the reasoning for both of them. Thank you! (And those also are the correct answers.) :h:
Reply 839
UltimateJ
I think Sheffield do. I read in the Daily Mail the other day about some girl who got 11 A* at GCSE, 4 A's at A-level and 1950 in the UKCAT, but got rejected by them as they have a 2000 point cut off (so 500 average).

(Get's out of this thread as medicine has nothing to do with me)

Lol okay thanks :biggrin: I'm glad I'm not applying to Sheffield then ^.^" becuse I really suck at the practice QR and VR :frown: And mine's on Wednesday...

Latest

Trending

Trending