UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by motiv3)
congrats crazy! At least you got that horrible thing off your chest :P

Could I ask, was timing more of an issue in the test?
For me no in the test I only ran out of time on QR- guessed one question as I only had 5s left to solve The hardest question in my opinion I was given.
VR I had 30s to spare after review
AR I had about a minute after reviewing
And DA Finnished but diddnt get to review all of them.

I think this is cause I practised with timing from the start and so my speed slowly improved peaking at the test.
FFCrusader
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by crazylemon)
All right done my test time for the results:

VR: 680
QR: 870 :jive: thought I would fail it
AR: 760 :jive:
DA: 710

Average: 755 :jive:

Did much better than I though I would. QR I thought I would fail and its my best by over 100 points!
Well done, that's a fantastic score

I hope you're not applying to unis I'm applying to :p:
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Flippin heckkk the practice questions are hard.
Does anyone know about how its scored? Will it be better to guess them and perhaps get them wrong (if I'm running out of time) or just leave ones I don't know at all? Thanks...
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Calumcalum)
Does anyone know about how its scored? Will it be better to guess them and perhaps get them wrong (if I'm running out of time) or just leave ones I don't know at all? Thanks...
guess those you havent done in the last minute
FFCrusader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No one really knows how it's scored =/

If you're running out of time I think you would benefit more from just guessing all of rest (like I did :p:) You don't get marked down from getting wrong answers so you don't have anything to lose really - by guessing you may get more points, but leaving them out you will definitely not... hope that made sense lol
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by FFCrusader)
No one really knows how it's scored =/

If you're running out of time I think you would benefit more from just guessing all of rest (like I did :p:) You don't get marked down from getting wrong answers so you don't have anything to lose really - by guessing you may get more points, but leaving them out you will definitely not... hope that made sense lol
Yeah I does, THey even recomend you to not leave any blank in the test on the 1min break screens
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DrDomDom)
I sense lies.

That score is amazing: no way you were thinking that you were gonna FAIL. Anyone who gets a score like that knows theyre good.
Untrue - I was bricking myself the night before. I hate it when people think, 'oh, you did well, therefore you must have found it easy / gone into it without worrying about the outcome.'

Crazylemon, congrats
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
Untrue - I was bricking myself the night before. I hate it when people think, 'oh, you did well, therefore you must have found it easy / gone into it without worrying about the outcome.'

Crazylemon, congrats
Thank you!
Edit Forgot to thank FFCrusader
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All right done my test time for the results:

VR: 680
QR: 870 :jive: thought I would fail it
AR: 760 :jive:
DA: 710

Average: 755 :jive:

Did much better than I though I would. QR I thought I would fail and its my best by over 100 points!
Well done you I'm very pleased you did so well, I bet you're glad it's over with too
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scaryhair)
Well done you I'm very pleased you did so well, I bet you're glad it's over with too
Thanks and yes so glad
Calumcalum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah okay thanks, and do we get scrap paper to do working on? Mine's on wednesday I'm so scared aaaa
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah okay thanks, and do we get scrap paper to do working on? Mine's on wednesday I'm so scared aaaa
Double sided white board (A4) and pen. You cant rub off though- smudges
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DrDomDom)
Personally, i didnt use the WB all that much anyway: skipped the questions that looked difficult/ like they needed more working.
I used It to write down the codes and about 3 times in QR when I needed to save a number
Alladar
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
VR = 740
QR = 760
AR = 640
DA = 800

Average of 735

Not bad considering I was utterly nervous for a few days beforehand and found the internet questions relatively difficult

Now to be scared of the BMAT!
crazylemon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alladar)
VR = 740
QR = 760
AR = 640
DA = 800

Average of 735

Not bad considering I was utterly nervous for a few days beforehand and found the internet questions relatively difficult

Now to be scared of the BMAT!
Fantastic Score well done !
scaryhair
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Fantastic Score well done !
:ditto: Congratulations!
Hailsham
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
VR = 660
QR = 780
AR = 670
DA = 560

I dont understand what happened here. I though QR was my worst as I guessed 16 questions due to time constraints. Yet that was my highest score. DA on the other hand, I answered all the questions with 5mins to spare, double-checked and was confident with nearly all of my answers yet that was my lowest score! (by a lot)

I personally think the UKCATs a waste, the fact that they got rid of one of the sections last year and no one knows how its marked weakens its credibility.

I doubt most unis will use it as a significant part in their application (maybe for borderline students). So for those of you stressing about it, there are more important aspects of your application (personal statement and interview) that will make you stand out!
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
for those applying to edinburgh, may be interested to know i posted a ukcat poll on NMM to see how past applicants have scored on it to get a place/to be rejected.
i.star
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hailsham)
VR = 660
QR = 780
AR = 670
DA = 560

I dont understand what happened here. I though QR was my worst as I guessed 16 questions due to time constraints. Yet that was my highest score. DA on the other hand, I answered all the questions with 5mins to spare, double-checked and was confident with nearly all of my answers yet that was my lowest score! (by a lot)

I personally think the UKCATs a waste, the fact that they got rid of one of the sections last year and no one knows how its marked weakens its credibility.

I doubt most unis will use it as a significant part in their application (maybe for borderline students). So for those of you stressing about it, there are more important aspects of your application (personal statement and interview) that will make you stand out!
Hope u are right in that unis dnt use it as significant coz i have problem with timing and looks like i might need to guess quite a lot of Qs:eek:
Phalanges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Newbie poster to this thread, but oh well.

Got my UKCAT on Monday, just starting to get a little nervous. Had a look at all of the subtests so far, and I'm most confident with QR (I quite like maths ), but bricking it about the AR and VR. VR I can do when I really focus, but end up overrunning by a lot, and AR I panic when I don't see patterns and then go on a guessing frenzy!

Still, the CAT's not the most important test to me, I'm only using it for one/two of my choices (Newcastle and possibly King's, if anybody's interested). The other two are BMAT Uni's (Oxford and Imperial), and they're the ones I really want to go to. But nobody wants to do badly on a test!

Couple of Q's though:

DA - does it always use codes for you to interpret?
The Calculator - how advanced is it? I know it's pretty basic, but does it include things like brackets? (I don't really know why I'm asking this, but it's always nice to be prepared )
Results - Is there any point when we need to say (of should have said) what Uni's we want the results going to, as in the BMAT? Because I haven't said anything thus far. :dontknow:

Anyway, thanks for all the advice so far on this thread, and I look forward to bragging/pretending I didn't want a good result anyway when I'm finished on Monday! :giggle:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?