The Student Room Group

Getting into the NFL

I saw the NFL Original series about international prospects going into the NFL (usually people who play rugby in Europe but mainly the UK) and saw that Christian Wade had been drafted to the Buffalo Bills as a running back and he got put in the practice squad and then got cut. He is a good rugby player; "The 27-year-old previously played rugby, representing the English National Rugby Team at the U16, U18 and U20 levels. Wade was selected to the prestigious British and Irish Lions squad, the highest honour for a rugby player in the UK. He retired from rugby in 2018 to pursue an NFL career.8 Apr 2019". Many other talented players got put straight into practice squads and then usually got cut which made me believe that the 'international prospects programme' was just a PR stunt. The only notable exception to this practice squad and cut pattern is Jordan Mailata who is offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles. Offensive tackle just requires you to be big and strong but an RB or WR requires highly skilled athletes such as Wade. Will there ever be a successful international WR or RB or is the publicity stunt to draft 7 international players a year destined to deny international prospects to keep the spots for American athletes?
Original post by Xiphos
I saw the NFL Original series about international prospects going into the NFL (usually people who play rugby in Europe but mainly the UK) and saw that Christian Wade had been drafted to the Buffalo Bills as a running back and he got put in the practice squad and then got cut. He is a good rugby player; "The 27-year-old previously played rugby, representing the English National Rugby Team at the U16, U18 and U20 levels. Wade was selected to the prestigious British and Irish Lions squad, the highest honour for a rugby player in the UK. He retired from rugby in 2018 to pursue an NFL career.8 Apr 2019". Many other talented players got put straight into practice squads and then usually got cut which made me believe that the 'international prospects programme' was just a PR stunt. The only notable exception to this practice squad and cut pattern is Jordan Mailata who is offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles. Offensive tackle just requires you to be big and strong but an RB or WR requires highly skilled athletes such as Wade. Will there ever be a successful international WR or RB or is the publicity stunt to draft 7 international players a year destined to deny international prospects to keep the spots for American athletes?

As a UK NFL fan I wish they could be successful, however I can never see it happening until the sport becomes popular outside of North America. Although these guys on the programme are very talented athletes, the guys that get drafted in the NFL have played the sport competitively at least since they were in high school as well as college (university to us). From playing for that long they will have superior football IQ as well as mechanical things like muscle memory for throws and catching. So although some of these guys maybe superior athletes physically, teams would rather have the guys who know the sport better. I think Jordan Mailata has managed to stay on the roster because linemen can have techniques coached easier (blocking) rather than say a running back who relies on natural vision and cut moves. Maybe the only position that could be replaced by international athletes is punters or place-kickers, as obviously non-americas football (soccer) is a lot more popular in Europe and South America. I did hear that Harry Kane wants to become a kicker when he finishes playing football.
Reply 2
Original post by cactusjack1
As a UK NFL fan I wish they could be successful, however I can never see it happening until the sport becomes popular outside of North America. Although these guys on the programme are very talented athletes, the guys that get drafted in the NFL have played the sport competitively at least since they were in high school as well as college (university to us). From playing for that long they will have superior football IQ as well as mechanical things like muscle memory for throws and catching. So although some of these guys maybe superior athletes physically, teams would rather have the guys who know the sport better. I think Jordan Mailata has managed to stay on the roster because linemen can have techniques coached easier (blocking) rather than say a running back who relies on natural vision and cut moves. Maybe the only position that could be replaced by international athletes is punters or place-kickers, as obviously non-americas football (soccer) is a lot more popular in Europe and South America. I did hear that Harry Kane wants to become a kicker when he finishes playing football.

Yeah, I heard that too, for the Patriots I think. Not sure if he was joking or not.
Reply 3
Original post by cactusjack1
Maybe the only position that could be replaced by international athletes is punters or place-kickers, as obviously non-americas football (soccer) is a lot more popular in Europe and South America. I did hear that Harry Kane wants to become a kicker when he finishes playing football.

David James tried it after his retirement from football (the logic being that you don't need to be a goalscorer, it's more about the power you can put into it - and he had a ridiculously good clearance / goal kick, so why not?) and couldn't get close.

When the US has millions of kids to pick from and only, what ~30 professional teams to go play for, they'll always come first. Foreign born players won't get a look in.

Quick Reply

Latest