The Student Room Group

Should I take maths a level?

I’m currently getting 9s at GCSE which is an A* but I not really enjoying it. At my school we’ve finished the maths course and are just revising now up until the exam. Obviously this is a good position to be in but I don’t feel challenged by any of the work and I’m so bored in lessons, it’s make me hate maths. It’s made me really confused because last year I had so much passion and now I’m unsure whether to take it incase I don’t enjoy it at a level. Any advice?
Reply 1
I would say choose a combination of or ideally only subjects you are both good at and enjoy. I enjoyed all my A levels and was good at them. Take into account what you want to do after A levels. If you are thinking of doing something science related at university, maths is one of the most common A levels taken and required by some courses.

If you don't enjoy it, then go in a different direction, but it is one of the most popular A levels for a reason. If you don't need maths to get into university for your desired course, then don't take it unless you actually enjoy it a lot.
If the only reason you don't like maths is that you are unchallenged by it, then maybe you should try Further Maths A Level?
If you're finding the work in class too easy, you could try doing some ukmt maths challenge papers (ask your teachers if you can do them in class)

See if your school is teaching FSMQ ocr (Free standing maths qualification, that includes a lot of AS maths content, like differentiation, integration)
Original post by lucytwittey
I’m currently getting 9s at GCSE which is an A* but I not really enjoying it. At my school we’ve finished the maths course and are just revising now up until the exam. Obviously this is a good position to be in but I don’t feel challenged by any of the work and I’m so bored in lessons, it’s make me hate maths. It’s made me really confused because last year I had so much passion and now I’m unsure whether to take it incase I don’t enjoy it at a level. Any advice?

up to now I find it decent the content isn't too bad and the people in my class are fine, but I have heard it gets a lot harder so its really ur subjection.
Reply 5
watch a few Alevels videos from examsolutions ...its a really good webpage...honestly I regret taking maths in alevels.. I got an A* in igcse as well but like...alevel maths is no joke...ull prolly enjoy it... no doubt it's challenging ...but like if maths itself is boring for u...then its best if u don't opt for maths...
I'm doing the edexcel international Alevel new specification....P1 was very easy ..P2 was easy as well...I'm doing P3 and P4 nowadays..u need alot of practice for P3 ...each and every sum from the textbook and past papers.. especially integration and trig addition formulae..if u do...ur good then...P4.....all hope is lost...honestly I don't even get some chapters. I'm gonna sit in the exam with my paper empty for P4...
apart from that, u haveto choose whether u wanna go for mechanics/stats/Decision 1&2
I'm taking mechanics 1 and stats 1...i do regret taking maths ..but idk..watch vids and decide for yourself .. I don't want to discourage you..u seem to have a lot of potential ..it also depends on ur future career plans...
good luck!!
Reply 6
I find that quite a lot of people felt that way about GCSE maths as well. Maths that’s taught at a stage like GCSEs is not meant to be super challenging. It’s to get the basics so that you can build on it at A-level.
Original post by : ).
watch a few Alevels videos from examsolutions ...its a really good webpage...honestly I regret taking maths in alevels.. I got an A* in igcse as well but like...alevel maths is no joke...ull prolly enjoy it... no doubt it's challenging ...but like if maths itself is boring for u...then its best if u don't opt for maths...
I'm doing the edexcel international Alevel new specification....P1 was very easy ..P2 was easy as well...I'm doing P3 and P4 nowadays..u need alot of practice for P3 ...each and every sum from the textbook and past papers.. especially integration and trig addition formulae..if u do...ur good then...P4.....all hope is lost...honestly I don't even get some chapters. I'm gonna sit in the exam with my paper empty for P4...
apart from that, u haveto choose whether u wanna go for mechanics/stats/Decision 1&2
I'm taking mechanics 1 and stats 1...i do regret taking maths ..but idk..watch vids and decide for yourself .. I don't want to discourage you..u seem to have a lot of potential ..it also depends on ur future career plans...
good luck!!

I'm also doing the edexcel international Alevel new specification. I just finished P1 and I'm going to start P2 and S1, any tips for getting a good grade in AS?

Quick Reply

Latest