Having trouble listening Watch

~*starlight*conquest*~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(sorry if this is in the wrong forum..didn't know where else to ask)

Ever since I could speak, I've always been a big daydreamer, and so I never listened in class and rarely paid attention to anything. My parents first thought I might be stupid (I fell countless times on my head as a child xD) but an IQ test proved them otherwise, so they just let me be thinking I would change eventually, and I continued not listening throughout primary and secondary school. I always thought I wasn't listening simply because the teachers were boring, but now that I'm doing A levels, I've realised that this is a more serious problem than I initially thought. I listen to about 10 minutes of a 1h30 lesson, and when someone is speaking to me outside school, for example, if I'm asking for directions, I can't listen to the entire conversation even though it's really important for me and relatively short. I don't know what to do. I've spent my entire life not listening, and I don't know how to change that.

Does anyone have any tips on improving their listening skills that actually work?
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'd probably have to google for anything more detailed than a line or two someone on here can give you. But most people tend to only have attention spans of 20 minutes, so you're not that abnormal :p:
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woahhh, that is one short attention span, less so about in class, everyone gets bored there, but for a conversation?! I don't even know what would fix that. Do you read much btw?

Have you thought about something like ADD or ADHD? It sounds extreme and no-one is going to diagnose you on the internet, but those disorders aren't just about running around crazily, there are different forms which can be as you described.

On a less serious note, do you get enough sleep, and is your eating balanced?
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually it's quite often a sign of genius. Most very clever people fail to take it the majority of what you say to them. Mainly because their mind is filtering out all the unimportant stuff. If you're concerned about it, see a GP though, because there are things to treat some of the conditions it could be.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
Actually it's quite often a sign of genius. Most very clever people fail to take it the majority of what you say to them. Mainly because their mind is filtering out all the unimportant stuff. If you're concerned about it, see a GP though, because there are things to treat some of the conditions it could be.
Awesome!

I was just about to post that I have a pretty short attention span too but do pretty well academically so its not too bad. I can only really listen to 20 mins of a 1hr lecture max, but as long as I just go through the lecture afterwards, it doesn't really matter.

My explanation is that its kind of conditioned into us. I know as a kid, adults never really had long conversations with me and I was mainly sat infront of a TV or left to amuse myself. If I got bored of a program, I'd change the channel, or I'd do something else. And then I discovered the computer and internet.. I just never really needed to concentrate for long periods of time.

You say your parents accepted that you were quite zoned out and I think thats probably made it worse.

Anyway a lot of people don't have great attention spans. If its seriously affecting your life, go to the doctor.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
Awesome!

I was just about to post that I have a pretty short attention span too but do pretty well academically so its not too bad. I can only really listen to 20 mins of a 1hr lecture max, but as long as I just go through the lecture afterwards, it doesn't really matter.

My explanation is that its kind of conditioned into us. I know as a kid, adults never really had long conversations with me and I was mainly sat infront of a TV or left to amuse myself. If I got bored of a program, I'd change the channel, or I'd do something else. And then I discovered the computer and internet.. I just never really needed to concentrate for long periods of time.

You say your parents accepted that you were quite zoned out and I think thats probably made it worse.

Anyway a lot of people don't have great attention spans. If its seriously affecting your life, go to the doctor.
Yeah I take in very little at lectures myself. Then again most of my lectures are more or less irrelevant.
~*starlight*conquest*~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by PoisonDonna)
Do you read much btw?

Have you thought about something like ADD or ADHD? It sounds extreme and no-one is going to diagnose you on the internet, but those disorders aren't just about running around crazily, there are different forms which can be as you described.

On a less serious note, do you get enough sleep, and is your eating balanced?
I read before going to bed, perhaps an hour or two (often more than that). I usually get 7 or 8 hours sleep, and sleep does worsen things, but however much i try, I can't go to sleep before about 11pm, so i can't really get more than 8 hours sleep anyway. As for diet, I dont eat much fruit, I've stopped eating bread exept in a sandwhich at lunch, and the rest is more or less 'balanced'. I've been trying to avoid thinking of this being something like ADD or ADHD, but I think it might be a possibility I'm just going to have to face some day...

As for seeing a doctor...I'd never really thought of that xD I think I might...Are there really treatments that work for that kind of thing? It's not addictive or anything is it?
PoisonDonna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~*starlight*conquest*~)
I read before going to bed, perhaps an hour or two (often more than that). I usually get 7 or 8 hours sleep, and sleep does worsen things, but however much i try, I can't go to sleep before about 11pm, so i can't really get more than 8 hours sleep anyway. As for diet, I dont eat much fruit, I've stopped eating bread exept in a sandwhich at lunch, and the rest is more or less 'balanced'. I've been trying to avoid thinking of this being something like ADD or ADHD, but I think it might be a possibility I'm just going to have to face some day...

As for seeing a doctor...I'd never really thought of that xD I think I might...Are there really treatments that work for that kind of thing? It's not addictive or anything is it?
There are some treatments yes, but medication is a method too.

So wait, you can read for two hours or more but not hold a conversation? That's doesn't sound like ADD really so don't worry.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There are definately treatments for this sort of this.
Inability to concentrate can actually be caused by a variety of things including thyroid problems, depression and even stress and anxiety.
Obviously you've been a bit of a daydreamer from birth, but if its getting worse recently then there could be something else behind it.

Its probably best to pop along to the doctors and see what they say. They will most likely send you for some blood tests to see your nice and healthy and then see if they can come to some sort of arrangement etc.
They may say there is nothing they can do, but they may be able to help so its definately worth a trip.
At the end of the day, if you concentration is affecting you to a big extent it could effect your exam results and its worth doing every thing you can to sort the situation out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads