Lauravb06
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey. So we have to do an independant project for our speaking exam. Does anyone have any ideas that I could do for a project?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...VEL-TG-IRP.PDF
Lauravb06
Rep:
?
Thank u
Alex_R_Kirby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi

I would really recommend going for some big event in French history like the May '68 student protests or the assassination of President Doumer cos there will usually be quite a lot of stuff about it in French newspapers and even more if you want to look into academic-type sources.
This kind of topic is also really good cos there's quite a strong chance of the examiner knowing a bit about it so you can actually have a discussion with them about it.

Hope this helps
15dhillh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sorry not related but i am picking a levels and would u recommend a level french. Is it enjoyable? And easy to do well in if u revise? I am good at gcse french but not that confident with speaking
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 15dhillh)
Sorry not related but i am picking a levels and would u recommend a level french. Is it enjoyable? And easy to do well in if u revise? I am good at gcse french but not that confident with speaking
One person in year 12 at my school just dropped a level french because she wasn’t confident with speaking. To be honest, GCSE french is so basic and so easy compared to a level, you’re studying an authentic text and a film. But the content is much more mature with real life applications, you discuss politics, current affairs, sexuality, prisons, marriage etc. Lots of a level french is having discussions with your classmates, teacher or online etc about current affairs, so you need to be confident. What are you not confident at, fluency, vocabulary, or embarrassed by talking french?
Lauravb06
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex_R_Kirby)
Hi

I would really recommend going for some big event in French history like the May '68 student protests or the assassination of President Doumer cos there will usually be quite a lot of stuff about it in French newspapers and even more if you want to look into academic-type sources.
This kind of topic is also really good cos there's quite a strong chance of the examiner knowing a bit about it so you can actually have a discussion with them about it.

Hope this helps
Yh well it’s way harder than gcse . Like right now we just watched a movie in french and we have to write an essay on it
Lauravb06
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alex_R_Kirby)
Hi

Hope this helps
Thanks
Gidray
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi i just finished A-Level French. It shouldn't be hard enough to get a B or an A in french. It is extremely hard to get an A* because the exams are kinda hard and you need to get 90% overall, but i think it is worth it. It is always good to have an A-Level in languages because it can make you stand out. I did AQA and 50% is listening, reading and translation, 30% is speaking, and 20% is essay writing.

Even though 30% was speaking we had to do an 'independent research project' which can be based on any topic you like. It doesn't have to be a political or historical topic, but it has to relate to France. For example my project was based on nuclear energy in France because that was something i was interested in. The project can also be about a book or a film that you haven't studied in class, so it's fun.
Lauravb06
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gidray)
Hi i just finished A-Level French. It shouldn't be hard enough to get a B or an A in french. It is extremely hard to get an A* because the exams are kinda hard and you need to get 90% overall, but i think it is worth it. It is always good to have an A-Level in languages because it can make you stand out. I did AQA and 50% is listening, reading and translation, 30% is speaking, and 20% is essay writing.

Even though 30% was speaking we had to do an 'independent research project' which can be based on any topic you like. It doesn't have to be a political or historical topic, but it has to relate to France. For example my project was based on nuclear energy in France because that was something i was interested in. The project can also be about a book or a film that you haven't studied in class, so it's fun.
If u do a book or a film. Does it have to be french?
Gidray
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lauravb06)
If u do a book or a film. Does it have to be french?
The book needs to be related to France or any French speaking country, so yeah it needs to be french. However, you won't be penalised if you use an english copy of the book to study or use the subtitles for the films and in fact some people in my class studied their book in english first before reading it in french. Any topic you pick needs to relate to France or a francophone country, so keep that in mind. That's only for AQA though, not sure about other exam boards.
Lauravb06
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gidray)
The book needs to be related to France or any French speaking country, so yeah it needs to be french. However, you won't be penalised if you use an english copy of the book to study or use the subtitles for the films and in fact some people in my class studied their book in english first before reading it in french. Any topic you pick needs to relate to France or a francophone country, so keep that in mind. That's only for AQA though, not sure about other exam boards.
Okay thank u
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?