Cars - what's the big deal? Watch

punktopia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
First of all - this is just genuine curiosity, not an attempt to flame/troll. I took some driving lessons a few years ago and came to the conclusion that a) I wasn't a safe driver, b) driving is overrated and c) cars are just generally annoying.

However, lots of people love cars. Why is this? Is it the freedom they allow you? There's been times when, waiting at some random train station in the freezing cold while my train gets delayed for the fifteenth time that I wish I had a car. Or is it the hobby aspect? This part I don't get... I can think of far more interesting things to do than repair/modify a car.

Feel free to enlighten me. Why do you love cars?
becky.fm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can go wherever i want, whenever i want, and i dont have to rely on other people/****ty public transport.
Makaveli_The_Don
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'll let you know when I learn to drive
PoisonDonna
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can just... go. Whenever you want and to wherever and you have to rely on no-one else. And they do exactly what you tell them to (most of the time).
~Ally~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
I took some driving lessons a few years ago and came to the conclusion that a) I wasn't a safe driver, b) driving is overrated and c) cars are just generally annoying.
:ditto:
I walk everywhere less than 3 miles distance, other than that, its Public transport FTW. I just don't get the whole car thing. Apart from the pretty lime green /blue sparkley pergeots
groovychez89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
im not into the whole modifying cars and stuff, but i love my little car just because thoughout my life ive grown up getting on buses and other forms of public transport (my parents dont drive) I think ive always thought that i wanted to drive just so i can go wherever i want all i have to do is get up and get in my car and if needs be, get my satnav! rather than planning bus times, fares, costs etc, stick some petrol in the tank and your sorted!
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you dont relise how much you need a car till you actually get one. just like you wouldnt know how much you needed a computer if youd never had one.
Friggerpants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm an engineer, I love how a car works.

Plus I need it for work.

Car's aren't for everybody though, kinda like anal sex.
Hasty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't drive yet, but a friend of mine can; and I can totally understand both the love of being able to drive, AND cars in general. Now he can drive, he can go anywhere, and do anything, without worrying about public transport or taxis.

Now I didn't realise it was bad at all, until he passed. I then realised how much time we waste, waiting for trains and buses, how expensive buses and trains are, and how inconvenient they can be.
OllyThePhilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I completely agree with you OP.
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not interested in all the modification lark.

I enjoy the freedom of driving and having a car. Plus I enjoy the act of driving itself.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Freedom, speed, individuality, you can go where you want when you want, plus the way that cars, even the most basic and dull ones, work is immense.
Tofufi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My cars sound nice

That's my main reason for buying the first one to be honest.

I don't drive every day though. When I can walk or bike I will do.

Sometimes it just isn't worthwhile though.

Birmingham to Exeter is £59 return on the train. Then I'd spend anther £5 on the bus to get to the train stations.

For the same money, I could just jump in my van and go whatever time of day I want to.

Going into town or anywhere busy, I will always seek to not have to drive though.
bean87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1. Freedom to go where you want whenever, i.e. theme parks

2. I enjoy driving

3. More job opportunities (i couldnt have worked at my previous job without a car)

4. My motorbike makes me cold in the winter
bean87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
and generally the chicks dig dudes with cars. thats reason enough by itself
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cars are brilliant. You can go anywhere - we're not just talking about getting a train to say London, or Manchester, but actually exactly where you want to be within a city or town. There's no need to really plan anything, you can go on the spur of the moment.

And it's fun, no? When you're in charge, everything's under control, and everything's right with the world.
_khan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i tired tellin convincing my self that when i failed the first 3 or four times that driving isnt a big deal
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Friggerpants)
Car's aren't for everybody though, kinda like anal sex.
Luckily, unlike anal sex, car driving can be a daily activity.
Friggerpants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Luckily, unlike anal sex, car driving can be a daily activity.

Speak for yourself, I get my brown wings everyday.
Friggerpants
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bean87)
thats what you get when you like blokes

im sticking to the ladies

no stubble rash and stinky hairy arses
Is that aimed at me?

Do you even know what you're on about?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads