Report Thread starter 10 years ago
N/A
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well there's more than one way.

First of all, you can just dual boot it with Boot Camp. That would require partitioning your hard drive, so you'd effectively have a single hard drive split in two (virtually, of course), with OS X on one and Windows on the other.

Alternatively, you could use something like Parallels which is a piece of virtualisation software. It's effectively running an OS within an OS, so you can run a Linux distro or Windows like any other program from inside OS X. Start it up, do what you want to do, and close it just like any other program, without rebooting.

That shouldn't be too confusing... I hope.
User188463
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I were u i would just get an 80gb Ipod or new ipod. Much easier to sync.
freecom2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Any reason why you don't like the iPod?

The syncing will give you much less of a headache.

Other then that follow MGT_90's post, either you have to have a complete Windows dual boot (a pain if you weren't planning on that in the first place) or emulate (not so bad, although still a pain to have a completely separate environment just for your mp3 player).
MGT_90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by freecom2)
either you have to have a complete Windows dual boot (a pain if you weren't planning on that in the first place)
I wouldn't say dual-booting is a pain at all. If the Windows system is only going to be used for a few select purposes, the partition with OS X, formatted as HFS+ (I think that's right, anyway—OS X users clarify this please) can take up the majority of the drive, whilst a small NTFS-formatted partition can be left for Windows.

If Windows was going to be required for many more tasks, dual booting may be preferable to virtualisation. Then, you could quite easily split the hard drive into 3 partitions, one HFS+ formatted, one NTFS formatted, containing OS X and Windows respectively, and, importantly, a FAT32 partition for data, which could be read from OS X or XP, therefore avoiding the need to reboot to edit documents so long as the format is compatible with the software on the particular operating system.
billyboymccoy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is the zune out yet then??? I wanted one but they were online in america when I looked.
billyboymccoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anatheme)
Yep and Canada, but Amazon delivers in Europe, lol.

Edit : I thought they could, lol. Apparently they don't want to send it in Europe, haha. Well, no matter, I'll ask a friend to send me one.

I really wanted one as I can't stand Ipods. Their just so common. I bought a little zen v in the end. But when they bring out the zune in UK I'll be zuning it up .
Hasty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've gone off my iPod anyway. I had a fourth generation, white one, I think it was the first standard iPod to intergrate a click wheel, that broke and I got an 80gb classic from the insurance company. It's slow and sluggish sometimes, the cover flow is horrible to use, and syncing has become a pain, oh and the headphones; mine broke in a month or two. I got so enraged by them, I pulled the broken one off, only later to read I could've had them replaced.
MGT_90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Another reason not get one .
The bundled headphones on any player are going to be terrible compared to even entry-level ones you can buy for £30. Even if you're not an audiophile, it's worth getting some fair headphones, because they'll sound better, it's not that expensive, and they shouldn't break apart within three months.
MGT_90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh I was talking about the iPod being sluggish, lol. Anyway I never break my headphones before 4-5 months, even when they're not that great, so that's not my main problem. . (Btw, I repped you, but I didn't put my name because I hit the wrong key and it sent the message, lol).
Fair enough. I'm not sure whether the issue is largely resolved in newer iPods though (don't take this as an endorsement of an iPod).

Don't worry about leaving your name. The sub (thanks to olilea), shows me all. :p:

I still think you should get some CX400s or something though. Well worth the money.
thelostchild
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hasty)
I've gone off my iPod anyway. I had a fourth generation, white one, I think it was the first standard iPod to intergrate a click wheel, that broke and I got an 80gb classic from the insurance company. It's slow and sluggish sometimes, the cover flow is horrible to use, and syncing has become a pain, oh and the headphones; mine broke in a month or two. I got so enraged by them, I pulled the broken one off, only later to read I could've had them replaced.
It's not like your forced to use those headphones anyway they really are bad quality you can pick up some much better ones for about £10-£15 which dont break and sound a lot better
clay_and_that
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you bought the MacBook yet?

Because if not, it might be worth waiting a little longer...

In the US and UK, and probably other places too, around about the back-to-school time, Apple have a free-iPod-with-Mac promotion
ProgressDesired
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Apple equipment is designed to work together, and it generally does it well. If you are getting a Macbook and decide to get a Zune, you will have to switch back and forth between them etc - a lot of hassle. An iPod (or iPhone) would make your life a lot easier since it would all sync together well.

Don't Microsoft have OS X compatible drivers?

Michael
username165192
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Zune : 80GB for £123
iPod : 80GB for £197
I'm French and in Euro, it's a vast amount of wasted money. And my sister has an iPod and I'm deffo not convinced of getting one myself, lol, why would I pay more for something that does less ? The Zune has an FM tuner and a recorder, iPod doesn't and I need these two things.

MGT_90, that was perfectly clear, thanks for explanation . My dad told me about Boot Camp and I have a friend using Parallels, I think I'll get Parallels, it'll be easier for what I need to do.

freecom2 : Actually it wouldn't be only for my MP3 player, lol, or I wouldn't get it, I intended to get Windows on my Mac to be able to play games I can't get on Mac or even softwares that have no Mac equivalent. Since all my family is on PC, I cba buying all of our stuff just for Mac, lol.
An 80GB ipod from the UK Applestore is only £159.
nearlyheadlessian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lumnotglum)
An 80GB ipod from the UK Applestore is only £159.
That's hardly much help to Anatheme is it? She's already said she lives in France.
ASASASASASASASASASASASASA
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i prefer zune
User188463
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ipods are way cooler than zunes!
MGT_90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by T-o dore)
Ipods are way cooler than zunes!
That's a weird comment, because they're more alike than they are different.
User188463
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MGT_90)
That's a weird comment, because they're more alike than they are different.
What?! "they're more alike than they are different" - that seems like a nonsensical retort to me, which neither adds nor subtracts from the value of my original opinion. Please expand.
MGT_90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by T-o dore)
What?! "they're more alike than they are different" - that seems like a nonsensical retort to me, which neither adds nor subtracts from the value of my original opinion. Please expand.
Here's the syntactical breakdown:

"They are more alike" refers to the aspects of each system that share similiarities.

"They are different" refers to the aspects of each system that are different.

The "than" indicates that the number or importance of the aspects which both systems share are either more plentiful or more important (maybe both) than the differences between them.

Here's the clarification:

The Zune is effectively an iPod clone, both aesthetically and in terms of functionality. It's not as if the Zune is a small, lightweight, slim player that focuses on delivering the bare basics. Both the iPod and Zune attempt to do much more. Aside from nominal differences such as the name and the different manufacturers, the feature set is more or less the same. It's not as if the iPod enjoys some revolutionary feature that a Zune can't deliver. It's not really a massive choice. They look similar, they can handle similar formats, they have a similar footprint, same ballpark capacities, etc.

What I think is more nonsensical is the sentence "Ipods are way cooler than zunes". My comment has quantifiable and clearly identifiable aspects. "Cool" is an arbitrary value term that doesn't refer to any concrete property.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads