The Student Room Group

Friend cheated to get into Cambridge?

So essentially a girl in my friend group got ABD in her end of Y12 exams (AS). Her GCSEs were good but mainly 7s and 6s with a 5 dotted here and there and a couple of 8/9s. She resat the exam she got the D in and cheated on this exam only to get a C.
Long story short, the school has raised her predicted grades to A*A*A from ABD PURELY because she applied to Cambridge. I just think this is so unfair when I know kids in our year who did better than her and got worse predicted grades because they aren’t applying to Cambridge, and the kids that ARE applying have to compete with someone who basically didn’t deserve their predicted grades.
Does anyone else think this shows how flawed the predicted grade system is? Some schools can be so lenient and even within our school oxbridge candidates are coddled even if realistically they have no chance. I don’t even know what to say to this girl, I think it’s ridiculous that she’s only applied to AAA and above when she KNOWS what she truly is capable of. Anyone else think she’s being ridiculous?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mushroom21
So essentially a girl in my friend group got ABD in her end of Y12 exams (AS). Her GCSEs were good but mainly 7s and 6s with a 5 dotted here and there and a couple of 8/9s. She resat the exam she got the D in and cheated on this exam only to get a C.
Long story short, the school has raised her predicted grades to A*A*A from ABD PURELY because she applied to Cambridge. I just think this is so unfair when I know kids in our year who did better than her and got worse predicted grades because they aren’t applying to Cambridge, and the kids that ARE applying have to compete with someone who basically didn’t deserve their predicted grades.
Does anyone else think this shows how flawed the predicted grade system is? Some schools can be so lenient and even within our school oxbridge candidates are coddled even if realistically they have no chance. I don’t even know what to say to this girl, I think it’s ridiculous that she’s only applied to AAA and above when she KNOWS what she truly is capable of. Anyone else think she’s being ridiculous?

Yeah, what your school’s done is low, but it’ll catch up with her. If her subject requires an admissions test she’ll probably fail it and won’t even get an interview. And even if she does get an interview and they give her an offer, she’ll likely miss those grades by far and lose her place.
I think you should just stick your nose out of other peoples business and worry about yourself dont be jealous
Original post by .unknown
I think you should just stick your nose out of other peoples business and worry about yourself dont be jealous

little harsh don’t you think? :frown:

It is your friend's business and it isn't in your place to say anything. Even if her predicted grades are raised higher, universities will look at other aspects of her application too. Even after that, she still need to get the grades when assessment and exams come around.

Would the cheating not be noted on her academic record too?
Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yeah, what your school’s done is low, but it’ll catch up with her. If her subject requires an admissions test she’ll probably fail it and won’t even get an interview. And even if does get an interview and they give her an offer, she’ll likely miss those grades by far and lose her place.

You have a point tbh but i just had to vent because it seems so unfair on all the other candidates that could be rejected over her. She has a tutor as well and although that doesn’t seem to be helping her it’s a leg up that perhaps other students wouldn’t have and coming from her it’s quite dishonest.
Yeah that’s ridiculous, but it’ll catch up with her in the end. Don’t worry about it.
Reply 7
Original post by .unknown

Not really jealous as i got better predicted grades than her without cheating, just feel bad for those other kids who could be pushed aside for her is all! just a bit of a vent :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by cheesecakelove
It is your friend's business and it isn't in your place to say anything. Even if her predicted grades are raised higher, universities will look at other aspects of her application too. Even after that, she still need to get the grades when assessment and exams come around.

Would the cheating not be noted on her academic record too?

the school don’t know she cheated and it’s silly of me to care but i just feel awful for who she’s competing with!
Rah, leave her and let her fail. She might flunk the interview/assessments/entrance exams/whatever tf unis do. She may get in but if she got ABD at A Level and only got a C despite cheating, there’s a strong possibility she won’t get those grades and lose her place.
Reply 10
I guess she's got to find out the hard way.
Why don't you apply for Cambridge then? Not unfair at all, nothing is stopping you from getting the same treatment.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Why don't you apply for Cambridge then? Not unfair at all, nothing is stopping you from getting the same treatment.

Nothing to do with me because I just didn’t like the place but because it’s so competitive i think it’s unfair that a kid at another school with the same grades as her would be brushed aside purely because they go somewhere else!
Reply 13
If she wants to delude herself and have everything crumble around her on results day... let her.
Were these actual AS exams in which she got ABC? In which case Cambridge would probably know that something was up.
it's not cheating though because cambridge will see right through it
Nothing to do with me because I just didn’t like the place but because it’s so competitive i think it’s unfair that a kid at another school with the same grades as her would be brushed aside purely because they go somewhere else!

They do this type of thing in every school. The teachers always do everything they can to help the students get into the Universities they want.
Original post by Sinnoh
If she wants to delude herself and have everything crumble around her on results day... let her.
Were these actual AS exams in which she got ABC? In which case Cambridge would probably know that something was up.

they were AS exams but not externally examined

You seem to be acting like a snitch. Focus on yourself. Nobody likes a grass.

She may be being ridiculous, but it won't give her any advantage. Firstly, it seems unlikely that she will get in to Cambridge, given her academic record. In terms of applying to other universities, whilst her high predicted grades might help her to get some offers, if she isn't actually capable of meeting the conditions of her offers then she will arguably be in a worse position than those with more accurate predictions who applied to realistic courses and got places.
Original post by ChickenMadness
They do this type of thing in every school. The teachers always do everything they can to help the students get into the Universities they want.

i get that but i think it just sets unrealistic expectations, the school should give someone a leg up within reason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending