Manchester Met MSc Speech and Language Therapy 2020 entry

Watch
TeaAndCats
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by marigold2020)
That sounds like you can show you are putting in the effort to learn about the job! What online course have you been doing?
Is most of your experience with children and young people?
Thank you, marigold2020 (: It's a personal development Speech Therapy course found on the Centre of Excellence website here: https://www.centreofexcellence.com/s...herapy-course/. I got it when it was on sale, but I'm sure there are codes and offers out there if you're interested. Yeah, I don't have any experience with elderly patients, apart from some personal experiences within my family. Do you think I'd need this to get onto the course?
Last edited by TeaAndCats; 2 weeks ago
marigold2020
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TeaAndCats)
Thank you, marigold2020 (: It's a personal development Speech Therapy course found on the Centre of Excellence website here: https://www.centreofexcellence.com/s...herapy-course/. I got it when it was on sale, but I'm sure there are codes and offers out there if you're interested. Yeah, I don't have any experience with elderly patients, apart from some personal experiences within my family. Do you think I'd need this to get onto the course?
Thanks for sharing, I'll have a look. From what I've seen only through applications - then personal experience also counts. One application I did specifically said -please include any personal experience either you have experienced or someone within your family - so I suppose it is all experience. And the main point is that on the course you have to study all areas of SLT and do a variety of placements, so it helps to have an understanding of the different areas of the job beforehand. I've spoken to an SLT who said it is a very intense course (she did the undergraduate degree after a pgce & teaching!) as there is a lot of content, about the different areas/aspects of the job. So I imagine the post grad is quite full on.
Pre reading is definitely the way forward! Best of luck.
TeaAndCats
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks for sharing, I'll have a look. From what I've seen only through applications - then personal experience also counts. One application I did specifically said -please include any personal experience either you have experienced or someone within your family - so I suppose it is all experience. And the main point is that on the course you have to study all areas of SLT and do a variety of placements, so it helps to have an understanding of the different areas of the job beforehand. I've spoken to an SLT who said it is a very intense course (she did the undergraduate degree after a pgce & teaching!) as there is a lot of content, about the different areas/aspects of the job. So I imagine the post grad is quite full on.
Pre reading is definitely the way forward! Best of luck.
Ah, that's good to hear-thank you so much for your help. I'll definitely think about extra experience I could get working with a more diverse range of patients, thank you! (: Best of luck to you too.
Last edited by TeaAndCats; 2 weeks ago
marigold2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all

Has anyone who applied late June/July heard anything or been able to receive contact via email?

I just applied to somewhere else as they opened places through clearing and I've had personal replies to emails before and after applying and an interview offer after just a week. Another place I was able to speak to someone directly and I've had contact by email. These unis definitely have spaces.

I'm just wandering if MMU are full now, or if people are still getting offers?

Apparently universities are starting to offer more places to fill the funding gap from having less overseas students this year, who pay more fees. I imagine not all unis can offer extra places as they need to find enough placement places nearby and staff to tutor the increased number of students.

I wonder if term 1 would be all online? Has anyone with a place heard anything yet?
Also any recommendations for pre reading? Thanks & good luck to all
Bobby_95
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi

I’ve recently applied and haven’t heard anything back. I sent some questions in a week before applying and have had an email to acknowledge my questions and to say they haven’t forgotten my email they’re just working their way through emails at the moment. But since then I haven’t heard anything back either.
I was wondering if they’d closed applications, but they’re still letting people apply online so I was unsure.
Bobby_95
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi everyone, I’ve recently applied for this course also. I’m wondering if anyone could shed some light on the funding situation for this course? I’m aware there’s an NHS Training Grant that this course qualifies for, but I’m a bit unsure as to what else. I wouldn’t be able to get the postgraduate loan as I already have an MA, so am hoping to get onto this course to retrain and for a career change. Does anyone have any ideas? Many thanks!
LizzOs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m in the same boat as you, as I already have an MA. Here’s the great news... you can get a full student loan by applying through the undergraduate route. Speech and Language Therapy falls under the Allied Health group so you can get both your tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan. Also, because the course is longer than normal, you also get additional maintenance loan. Hope this helps.
LizzOs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all

Has anyone who applied late June/July heard anything or been able to receive contact via email?

I just applied to somewhere else as they opened places through clearing and I've had personal replies to emails before and after applying and an interview offer after just a week. Another place I was able to speak to someone directly and I've had contact by email. These unis definitely have spaces.

I'm just wandering if MMU are full now, or if people are still getting offers?

Apparently universities are starting to offer more places to fill the funding gap from having less overseas students this year, who pay more fees. I imagine not all unis can offer extra places as they need to find enough placement places nearby and staff to tutor the increased number of students.

I wonder if term 1 would be all online? Has anyone with a place heard anything yet?
Also any recommendations for pre reading? Thanks & good luck to all
Hi, I’ve got a place and have been in touch with the tutor. He’s told me that the whole of year 1 will be online and that placements are unlikely to start until term 2. Hope you hear soon!
LizzOs
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jessaustin15)
Hi. I have just accepted a place on the MSc Speech and Language Therapy course starting this September. Does anyone know when we will receive more information regarding timetables etc.? All I know so far is that it is starting on 1st September! Thanks.
Hi, I’m not sure if you’ve heard about this yet but there’s a virtual meet up this Friday with the course leader. You need to apply online then they give you a slot to dial in.
Bobby_95
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi,

Has anyone heard anything back from a MMU regarding applications made for this year? I still haven’t heard anything or been able to get in contact- is it just me or are there others?

Thanks!
marigold2020
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Bobby_95)
Hi,

Has anyone heard anything back from a MMU regarding applications made for this year? I still haven’t heard anything or been able to get in contact- is it just me or are there others?

Thanks!
Hi
I had an interview last week, not sure on the outcome yet. So they are still interviewing. I heard about the interview via email three days before the interview just fyi.
Good luck
Bobby_95
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi
I had an interview last week, not sure on the outcome yet. So they are still interviewing. I heard about the interview via email three days before the interview just fyi.
Good luck
Hi,

Thanks so much for this info!
I did apply late July so we'll see when I hear back, but this is encouraging, so thank you
marigold2020
Rep:
?
Report 3 hours ago
(Original post by litlover24601)
Hi,

I have also applied for the 2020 entry for MSc Speech and Language Therapy at Man Met I have also applied to UCL and London City.

I've been quite lucky with my work experience so far, including volunteering with an aphasia group through the Stroke Association, working as a speech and language therapy assistant and shadowing adult and children's speech and language therapists! I'm also planning my final year dissertation on the effects of aphasia on communication.

For my personal statement, I just got as many people as possible to give it a read over and give me feedback. This included lecturers, speech and language therapy students and graduates!

Does anyone know if Man Met interview for this degree?
Hi
Could you let me know how you chose between those universities? I'm trying to choose between MMU and City for the same course.
Thanks
LizzOs
Rep:
?
Report 1 hour ago
I don't know a great deal about City but I think it's similar to MMU with its student centred approach. From what I've heard about MMU, there's a lot of support for students and a clear focus on advancing into a career. I have lived in both London and Manchester and have done an MA in London. From my experience, you will find Manchester a much more affordable option. Hope this helps!
marigold2020
Rep:
?
Report 5 minutes ago
(Original post by LizzOs)
I don't know a great deal about City but I think it's similar to MMU with its student centred approach. From what I've heard about MMU, there's a lot of support for students and a clear focus on advancing into a career. I have lived in both London and Manchester and have done an MA in London. From my experience, you will find Manchester a much more affordable option. Hope this helps!
Thank you it does.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (124)
24.6%
Better than expected (104)
20.63%
Worse than expected (276)
54.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed