Uni room making me ill?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m a first year and moved into uni halls. I got abit of freshers flu and then 2 weeks later it turned into a chest infection, and I was struggling to breathe in the room. The shower is the worst. I went home , had antibiotics and cake back and got sick again. I’m now back home on 2nd round of meds. I’ve missed two weeks of uni and am very behind. Coughing all the time.

No visible mould or anything in room. I don’t eat in there or smoke. Anyone else had a similar issue or know what it could be?
Tribulogic
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m a first year and moved into uni halls. I got abit of freshers flu and then 2 weeks later it turned into a chest infection, and I was struggling to breathe in the room. The shower is the worst. I went home , had antibiotics and cake back and got sick again. I’m now back home on 2nd round of meds. I’ve missed two weeks of uni and am very behind. Coughing all the time.

No visible mould or anything in room. I don’t eat in there or smoke. Anyone else had a similar issue or know what it could be?
Probably because your're around carriers of the flu at uni. Make sure to keep taking the meds after you feel well for a few days.

It may also be the mattress you're sleeping on at uni.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
if there's no mould or anything noticeable eg smell then its not your room

it's quite normal to get a bunch of colds and stuff when you start, you're likely eating/sleeping worse and drinking more than normal which lowers your immune system plus being exposed to bugs from all over the UK and potentially world (international students)

it's also not uncommon to have relapses with illnesses
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I was often ill at uni. Less of a consistent sleeping pattern, probably not eating as healthy, probably wasn't used to having to fully look after myself (e.g. my mum would do my washing at home), stress of a new place/course etc. It will be a case of trying to rest more and look after yourself. Prioritise uni over the social side of things, but also allow yourself some down time. See your GP if things continue to be bad!
username2740239
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There could be mould in the walls or something. do you get condensation on your windows in the morning? if you do your room is too humid and theres likely to be mould somewhere
xx1t35
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
This is a huge unspoken problem in student halls and it's astonishing the little care universities do to help this. In my accomodation there was mould all over the sink, rats running around in the hallway.. It was awful!! I got so sick I had to move out. Sorry this is happening to you but yes I do think it's the room and you shouldn't stand for it. Your health is the most important thing in the world.
HMDN12
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Check underside of mattress for mould and if there is some, request a replacement.
eoeoeo
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
omfg, I had 2 colds after one another. my first one was like you, got a chest infection after coughing too much and my chest was crackling and found it incredibly hard to breathe lying down. and then LEGIT when I finished with the infection and stopped coughing I got another cold from my friend who kept having diarrhea. thank god I didn't have it but I got a sinus infection. my throat wasnt bad today but for a whole week i've had this pain at the back of my throat and for the first few days of this pain I couldn't even swallow food. A JOKE
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
One thing that can often help 'sick building syndrome' as it was known a few years ago, is to eliminate airborne particles, sanitise the environment, but without using strong chemicals or scented candles even, as they can make things worse.

An active air filter, with negative ion generator, can now be had for around twenty quid - this gives an electrical charge to the air around the device, attracts small bits of mould, dust, whatever - which become charged and then whizz-off to stick themselves permanently to the walls, ceiling etc.
Over time your hall walls will go a bit greyer, but your living space will be cleaner.

I found one on UK AMZN site, I'm not promoting it, as I have no connection whatsoever to AMZN or the reseller - just this seems like a reasonable price/performance ratio. It is also USB powered (good for strict unis who need approval for any mains connected equipment), but I wouldn't stick it into a PC or mac computer USB socket, more into a phone charging type USB socket. (it contains many kilovolts)

"exact name given" as there are many similar variants , some of which are for hundreds of quid.

"Pro Breeze® 3-in-1 Mini Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter and Ioniser, Personal Desktop Air Cleaner with Night Light For Home or Work Allergies, Smoke, Dust, Pollen and Pet Dander | USB & Mains Power" cost (for me at least £21.99) and replacement active carbon filters are ~£10

I have several air ionisers at home, one has permanent stainless steel filters (just need a wash & dry) one was bought on a Spanish holiday, when the rental apartment turned out to be smelly - it saved the holiday and I also daily use a fixed living room air-sourced heat-pump/cooler with ionisers for removal of the traffic etc fumes from outside.

These devices should be a domestic standard fitting in highly polluted outdoor areas i.e. all UK cities , and indoor pollution is just as worrying as outdoor pollution, there are quite a lot of transfer of nanoparticles as you interface from one environment to the other. Worth a try?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (65)
22.65%
Note taking apps (6)
2.09%
Flashcards (55)
19.16%
Revision guides (16)
5.57%
Past papers (133)
46.34%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (12)
4.18%

Watched Threads