The Student Room Group

[Official] Cambridge Law Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

College Applied to: Clare

Why law at Clare college: I’ve always loved the idea of going to Cambridge but I know it’s a risk as Tim’s such a competitive course and I’m nothing special (I got no 9’s at GCSE). I nearly didn’t apply because I thought the risk was too much to handle but I got my enhanced offer from Durham (ABB)!! This, the risk didn’t seem as bad since I got into my other fav uni.

Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: English (A*), History (A but aiming to get an A* at the end) and French (A)

GCSE grades: 8777777777

Other universities you are applying to: Durham, York, Bristol, Uni of Law (really don’t wanna go there I just needed a BBB uni in case I firmed Durham)

How are you preparing: I haven’t started yet because I don’t know what to do and I’m freaking out
Original post by kartiksawhney
That’s not crazy at all, seems more sane to me than what I’ve done. Don’t depend on getting on next week. I’d say the week after would be your best bet. Where else have you applied? And any offers?

Haha what have you done? Other unis I've applied to are all inside London cos it's either Cambridge or staying at home + preferably within a 15-minute walk. I applied to UCL, LSE, KCL and SOAS. It's just so quiet...haven't heard anything from them yet.
Original post by nhya1998
Haha what have you done? Other unis I've applied to are all inside London cos it's either Cambridge or staying at home + preferably within a 15-minute walk. I applied to UCL, LSE, KCL and SOAS. It's just so quiet...haven't heard anything from them yet.

Oh damn, I’ve applied to mostly London as well. Except UCL I applied to Queen Mary. How do you think your LNAT went?
Oh damn, I’ve applied to mostly London as well. Except UCL I applied to Queen Mary. How do you think your LNAT went?

To be honest I kind of forgot how it went since I took it in September. I just remember not having enough time to proofread all of my answers. Generally it's quite smooth where the essay is OK - I remember writing something about the government giving out subsidies for science subjects...that's quite interesting.

My parents graduated from Queen Mary - have to say it looks nice but I don't wanna commute...
My parents graduated from Queen Mary - have to say it looks nice but I don't wanna commute...

I got an offer from them but would like to either go to Cambridge or King's
I got an offer from them but would like to either go to Cambridge or King's

Oh why King's? I prefer UCL or LSE (as back-up options) since UCL is like super close to my flat (like 10-min walk) while LSE is more exciting - I've always wanted to go to the Museums during a study break (yeah I'm a history and archaeology geek as well).
Oh why King's? I prefer UCL or LSE (as back-up options) since UCL is like super close to my flat (like 10-min walk) while LSE is more exciting - I've always wanted to go to the Museums during a study break (yeah I'm a history and archaeology geek as well).

I just found the vibe from KCL was right, they invest a lot of time into the pastoral care side of things, whereas UCL and LSE don’t really care I think.
College Applied to: Trinity. Having second thoughts about applying to this college now, not because I'd prefer another college, but because it seems very popular and competitive, and as a home-schooled kid I'm not too confident about the strength of my application :/
Why Cambridge law at _______ college: Trinity is the biggest in terms of the number of undergraduates (I think?) and accommodation is on the less expensive side, in comparison with some other colleges. Also very beautiful and close to river Cam :smile:
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: Predicted A*AA. Studying Law, Politics, Business, Accounting, Literature in English & Biology. Only got predicted grades in three of my subjects because those three are with one particular distance learning provider.
GCSE grades: 98A*AAAABBBB5E
Other universities you are applying to: Have already got offers from Sheffield and Queen's University Belfast. Have also applied to Magee and Jordanstown (part of Ulster University) to be on the safe side.
How are you preparing: reading books, keeping up with legal news & current issues, revising... idk would appreciate some help here!

I have something to add here though, what made you guys choose Cambridge over Oxford, aside from the league tables? For me personally, I discovered Trinity through the Robert Walker essay competition (although didn't win anything lol), so just gravitated towards Cambridge because I knew a little bit about it. Have also heard Oxford is more expensive in terms of living costs and simply being at the uni. Also, none of my other choices require the LNAT, so made sense to go for Cambridge and bypass it altogether. Not sure how to prepare for the CLT though, what are you guys doing?
College Applied to: St. John's
Why Cambridge law at _______ college: After attending the law residential at Trinity College I just fell in love with the Cambridge and I loved visiting St. John's
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: Maths (A), History (A*), Classical Civilisation (A)
GCSE grades: 888A*777A66 (extenuating circumstances)

I am honestly so scared for the CLT
Why Cambridge law at Downing college: I really want to study law and am attracted to the collegiate system and the supervisions which is why I really like Oxbridge--I chose Cambridge because I preferred it aesthetically, the course looked nicer and I didn't want it to rely on the LNAT like my other top choices.In terms of Downing I hadn't initially considered it but I stopped quickly by when I was in Cambridge and one of the porters gave me a tour despite the fact that it wasn't an official open day and when I went to an actual open day we were able to have an hour long talk with a DoS which was amazing and I got on really well with the other lawyers and the medics who were with us and I could just imagine myself there. Moreover, when I was torn between Caius and Downing right up until the deadline the most random things would happen like a law book I was reading was written by a fellow at Downing and the person giving a lecture I attended was an ex-fellow at Downing and I hadn't even realised so I decided it was clearly fate that I should put it down.

Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: Economics History Maths A* A* A

GCSE grades: 98A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*

Other universities you are applying to: Durham, LSE, UCL, Warwick (offer here)

How are you preparing: Honestly currently procrastinating it--some uni prep sessions in school and we get some practice interviews. I'll probs do a couple practise CLT essays and go over my personal statement.
(edited 4 years ago)

I'm an American student, so I was hoping you could explain something to me about Queen Mary's that I've been wondering. So far I have gotten into Leeds, Exeter, Kent, and QMUL. Currently, if I don't get into Cambridge, I was leaning towards Leeds because of their international law modules and their ranking on the various law tables. Queen Mary's is "lower-ranked" (30 versus 13) than Leeds but is more expensive and requires a higher grade average to get in, so is it considered a better school? Or is the location in London just desirable?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Unstudioustudent
College Applied to: Trinity. Having second thoughts about applying to this college now, not because I'd prefer another college, but because it seems very popular and competitive, and as a home-schooled kid I'm not too confident about the strength of my application :/
Why Cambridge law at _______ college: Trinity is the biggest in terms of the number of undergraduates (I think?) and accommodation is on the less expensive side, in comparison with some other colleges. Also very beautiful and close to river Cam :smile:
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: Predicted A*AA. Studying Law, Politics, Business, Accounting, Literature in English & Biology. Only got predicted grades in three of my subjects because those three are with one particular distance learning provider.
GCSE grades: 98A*AAAABBBB5E
Other universities you are applying to: Have already got offers from Sheffield and Queen's University Belfast. Have also applied to Magee and Jordanstown (part of Ulster University) to be on the safe side.
How are you preparing: reading books, keeping up with legal news & current issues, revising... idk would appreciate some help here!

I have something to add here though, what made you guys choose Cambridge over Oxford, aside from the league tables? For me personally, I discovered Trinity through the Robert Walker essay competition (although didn't win anything lol), so just gravitated towards Cambridge because I knew a little bit about it. Have also heard Oxford is more expensive in terms of living costs and simply being at the uni. Also, none of my other choices require the LNAT, so made sense to go for Cambridge and bypass it altogether. Not sure how to prepare for the CLT though, what are you guys doing?

Oh my god! You are home-schooled! Me too! Well, not completely but I've been home-schooled for most of my education. I just hate it when people call me a complete introvert just because I've taken most of my qualifications on my own.

I've taken the LNAT just for my other choices - I guess the CLT is better as there is only one essay question so it really allows you to expand on your ideas. But then, I have to admit I'm naturally biased to Cambridge anyway - I guess it's my 8-year old self influencing my life decisions again. I first visited Cambridge at 8 and was stunned by King's...I went to St John's a couple of times and it's such a beautiful college I have to admit. Oxford just looks dull....the buildings are very, very similar and, in my experience, the people there are quite mean. I don't know...but Cambridge feels like home.
Original post by jger_rams2019
I'm an American student so I was hoping you could explain something to me about Queen Mary's that I've been wondering. So far I have gotten into Leeds, Exeter, Kent, and QMUL. Currently, if I don't get into Cambridge I was leaning towards Leeds because of their international law modules and their ranking on the various law tables. Queen Mary's is "lower-ranked" (30 versus 13) than Leeds but is more expensive and requires a higher grade average to get in, so is it considered a better school? Or is the location in London just desireable?

To be honest if you're American and want to be working in the City, a university in London would be your best bet. Check out Chamber Students - I think they've made rankings on the employability of different graduates (like what unis law firms tend to recruit from). I think London ones tend to shine (LSE particularly), unless you're also applying for Durham and Bristol (I mean out of the Oxbridge world). Leeds is like...quite far. I think QMUL is better - in the UK it's mostly about location and reputation: your qualification would be Queen Mary, 'UNIVERSITY OF LONDON' - so basically the latter part is already enough to get you a job.
To be honest if you're American and want to be working in the City, a university in London would be your best bet. Check out Chamber Students - I think they've made rankings on the employability of different graduates (like what unis law firms tend to recruit from). I think London ones tend to shine (LSE particularly), unless you're also applying for Durham and Bristol (I mean out of the Oxbridge world). Leeds is like...quite far. I think QMUL is better - in the UK it's mostly about location and reputation: your qualification would be Queen Mary, 'UNIVERSITY OF LONDON' - so basically the latter part is already enough to get you a job.

I wanted to apply to several of the top-tier London schools, but since I also want to do the two-year degree option (I have a political bachelor's degree from home) there were fewer schools in the city area that provided that course type. I was completely unaware of how important location was as it's own factor, so thank you for bringing that to my attention. I am either going to go the route of public international law or pursuing the BPTC after the LLB, so perhaps I will give QMUL more thought.
I wanted to apply to several of the top-tier London schools, but since I also want to do the two-year degree option (I have a political bachelor's degree from home) there were fewer schools in the city area that provided that course type. I was completely unaware of how important location was as it's own factor, so thank you for bringing that to my attention. I am either going to go the route of public international law or pursuing the BPTC after the LLB, so perhaps I will give QMUL more thought.

Good luck! To be honest (my keyboard auto-corrects my tbh), I am really interested in public international law and human rights law as well. I'm not sure if I wanna go for a BPTC though (heard that the bar culture isn't for anyone) - currently hoping to get a training contract at Allen & Overy (one of the magic circle firms) and work at their human rights department. If I can really study law at Cambridge, that will no longer be a dream haha.
Good luck! To be honest (my keyboard auto-corrects my tbh), I am really interested in public international law and human rights law as well. I'm not sure if I wanna go for a BPTC though (heard that the bar culture isn't for anyone) - currently hoping to get a training contract at Allen & Overy (one of the magic circle firms) and work at their human rights department. If I can really study law at Cambridge, that will no longer be a dream haha.

You sound like you have a lot figured out! I wish you the very best of luck, and if you ever want to nerd out over public international law let me know :smile:
You sound like you have a lot figured out! I wish you the very best of luck, and if you ever want to nerd out over public international law let me know :smile:

I am that kind of person who has a plan and freaks out when things go differently...Which college did you apply to? I'm a mature student too but I don't have a degree - I'm leaving my current one instead
Oh my god! You are home-schooled! Me too! Well, not completely but I've been home-schooled for most of my education. I just hate it when people call me a complete introvert just because I've taken most of my qualifications on my own.

I've taken the LNAT just for my other choices - I guess the CLT is better as there is only one essay question so it really allows you to expand on your ideas. But then, I have to admit I'm naturally biased to Cambridge anyway - I guess it's my 8-year old self influencing my life decisions again. I first visited Cambridge at 8 and was stunned by King's...I went to St John's a couple of times and it's such a beautiful college I have to admit. Oxford just looks dull....the buildings are very, very similar and, in my experience, the people there are quite mean. I don't know...but Cambridge feels like home.

Hooray, a fellow homeschooled Cam Law applicant! I’ve had the but-do-you-even-have-friends? question maaaaany times 🤣

Are you still homeschooled? I’m having major problems trying to find an exam centre in NI to sit my A-levels...
Original post by Unstudioustudent
Hooray, a fellow homeschooled Cam Law applicant! I’ve had the but-do-you-even-have-friends? question maaaaany times 🤣

Are you still homeschooled? I’m having major problems trying to find an exam centre in NI to sit my A-levels...

Nah actually I am at university overseas now - just applying to Cambridge cos I wanna be back in the UK and kind of hate the subject I'm doing now. I remember looking around for exam centres to sit my exams - at one point nobody tried to take me in (or actually charged me commission) so I took my exams in Hong Kong where my dad came from. Don't worry- I guess arrangements are more flexible now.

How are you prepping for your A-levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending