Report 8 months ago
any invitations yet?
Unstudioustudent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by nhya1998)
Nah actually I am at university overseas now - just applying to Cambridge cos I wanna be back in the UK and kind of hate the subject I'm doing now. I remember looking around for exam centres to sit my exams - at one point nobody tried to take me in (or actually charged me commission) so I took my exams in Hong Kong where my dad came from. Don't worry- I guess arrangements are more flexible now.

How are you prepping for your A-levels?
Hong Kong...!? And I thought moving to England for a month to sit my A-levels would be hassle

Am trying to get my courses out of the way by Christmas in the five subjects for which I use a distance learning provider, to leave piles of time for revision. However am studying Literature independently, just by studying the books and pieces in the spec.

Does anyone know when interview invitations are usually sent?
nhya1998
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Unstudioustudent)
Hong Kong...!? And I thought moving to England for a month to sit my A-levels would be hassle

Am trying to get my courses out of the way by Christmas in the five subjects for which I use a distance learning provider, to leave piles of time for revision. However am studying Literature independently, just by studying the books and pieces in the spec.

Does anyone know when interview invitations are usually sent?
Wow that's very professional - I could never study literature alone...I took science subjects as they are quite logical. For literature, I love reading but when it comes to analysing a piece of set text, that's when the difficulty kicks in. Are you taking any language A-levels?

I guess interviews invites are sent next week, prob the week after but I hope they'll speed up and work over the weekend...
Unstudioustudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Wow that's very professional - I could never study literature alone...I took science subjects as they are quite logical. For literature, I love reading but when it comes to analysing a piece of set text, that's when the difficulty kicks in. Are you taking any language A-levels?

I guess interviews invites are sent next week, prob the week after but I hope they'll speed up and work over the weekend...
Can’t do any language A-levels, hard enough finding a centre to facilitate ‘paper exams’ never mind one with NEA or an oral component! Am planning on sitting the ALPT for Arabic proficiency, and am working my way through the different levels of the Chinese HSK, as my offer from Sheffield is for Law with Chinese Law.

Guess it’s a waiting game for now then...!
JockstrapAttack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This entire application process is just one huge trauma, lmao.
JockstrapAttack
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
College Applied to: Jesus College
Why Cambridge law at Jesus college: The architecture, the library, the accommodation and the central location; was torn between this and Downing (incredible accommodation), but my heart lay with Jesus (ew).
Subjects you are studying/predicted grades: A*A*A (predicted - English, Sociology and History, respectively)
GCSE grades: 98AABBCC5 (extenuating circumstances)
Other universities you are applying to: Leeds (offer), Manchester (offer), Warwick and Edinburgh
How are you preparing: Reading legal journals/articles, a book on jurisprudence and weekly practice CLT essays. My school (state comp) has organised two days of mock interviews at Eton College. Also, the law lectures and videos on the Cambridge Law Faculty YouTube channel are really great for preparation too, might offer a great site for discussion at interview.
Last edited by JockstrapAttack; 8 months ago
nhya1998
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Unstudioustudent)
Can’t do any language A-levels, hard enough finding a centre to facilitate ‘paper exams’ never mind one with NEA or an oral component! Am planning on sitting the ALPT for Arabic proficiency, and am working my way through the different levels of the Chinese HSK, as my offer from Sheffield is for Law with Chinese Law.

Guess it’s a waiting game for now then...!
Wow you know so many languages! I mean, I'm interested in languages, but I've never brought myself to actually take any exams...Which HSK Chinese level are you aiming for?
OMG354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Those who are to be accepted at Cambridge Law school would become world leaders, politicians and leaders in their field !
ohdearstudying
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
UPDATE TO INFORMATION

Added another section where I thought it would be interesting to see whether we all come from independent schools or state schools etc. if you want to update your post feel free
kartiksawhney
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ohdearstudying)
UPDATE TO INFORMATION

Added another section where I thought it would be interesting to see whether we all come from independent schools or state schools etc. if you want to update your post feel free
I go to a comprehensive
Sidson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Have any of y'all got interview invites?
legallyroyal63
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sidson)
Have any of y'all got interview invites?
I haven't heard of anyone getting interview invites apart from a very few at downing - but they're always super early. I would expect within next two weeks.
jez123442224432
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just got an invite, I'm super scared though! How are you guys feeling about interviews? For people further away (say, 3 hours hours travel) are you planning on staying in Cambridge or going in the early morning?
Isla-Rae
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jez123442224432)
Just got an invite, I'm super scared though! How are you guys feeling about interviews? For people further away (say, 3 hours hours travel) are you planning on staying in Cambridge or going in the early morning?
Well done on your invite!!!!

Which college did you apply too and for what course?
JockstrapAttack
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Where from?
jez123442224432
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Isla-Rae)
Well done on your invite!!!!

Which college did you apply too and for what course?
Thank you!! Trinity College, for Law.
legallyroyal63
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Wow congrats!
JockstrapAttack
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Seems like Trinity and Downing are giving offers out early.
wooikhaw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Invitation out on saturday?
Unstudioustudent
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Wow you know so many languages! I mean, I'm interested in languages, but I've never brought myself to actually take any exams...Which HSK Chinese level are you aiming for?
I haven’t taken any HSK exams yet, would say I might be around level 2-3 going by the material? There aren’t any exam centres which offer the qualification in NI so would ideally do it whilst at uni in England. Aiming at level 5 or 6!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.07%
Look for a job (19)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.06%
Take a year out (96)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.09%

Watched Threads