LEA Award + Student Loan help? - not British Watch

9mm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've been reading everything on Wiki, been searching through this forum and scanning through past threads, been searching on google, been looking on the student finance direct website, but I'm still confused.

The thing is, I'm not British. I'm swedish, but have been living and studying here for the past 5 years, whilst parent's have also been living here and have a house here (therefore, been paying the taxes) throughout this time. So I was wondering, does this give me home fee status?

My tutor at my school said I was eligible for an LEA award, but how exactly do I go about getting that? Another problem is that: I've been studying in Cambridgshire for those 5 years, so naturally the council I should contact is the Cambridgeshire County Council. However, I've read that you can only contact the council where you currently reside and study, however, I'm moving to London in a few weeks so does that mean I should contact one of the London councils, although I haven't studied there?

Another thing is I'd like to apply for a Student Loan for Tuition Fee, so am I eligible for that as well, since I'm a UK resident? And which council would I be contacting for this as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just not familiar with all this and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in all the sources I've read. So I'd be really glad for some help, so thanks in advance. : )
9mm
Rep:
?
anyone?

BTW I looked at the application form and I think it says you're eligible to a student loan if you've been a UK resident for 3 years or more.
Mumintroll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should be eligible for everything that a UK student would be. Apply to your local LEA (i.e. Cambs) NOW, then you will have applied before you moved (and applied where you live - you still live there as of now), so I'd imagine that they'd be the one handling it. Are you parents staying in Cambs when you move to London? If so, there won't be an complications. Even if not, I think it's unlikely that they'll be any. You will have to tell the SLC/LEA your new address so they will know that you've moved - it's really going to be up to them on whether they continue to let Cambs process it or if they transfer your application to the London borough you end up in. I'm sure people have moved from one LEA to another during the application stage before, so they must know what to do.

But ring Cambs county council tomorrow and ask them! Most importantly; do this and make your application ASAP. You've already missed the deadline so it's vital you get it in very soon if you want to have any chance of receiving your support in time for the start of term. You can apply online at studentfinancedirect.co.uk or order a paper form from your LEA. Lycka till!
9mm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mumintroll)
You should be eligible for everything that a UK student would be. Apply to your local LEA (i.e. Cambs) NOW, then you will have applied before you moved (and applied where you live - you still live there as of now), so I'd imagine that they'd be the one handling it. Are you parents staying in Cambs when you move to London? If so, there won't be an complications. Even if not, I think it's unlikely that they'll be any. You will have to tell the SLC/LEA your new address so they will know that you've moved - it's really going to be up to them on whether they continue to let Cambs process it or if they transfer your application to the London borough you end up in. I'm sure people have moved from one LEA to another during the application stage before, so they must know what to do.

But ring Cambs county council tomorrow and ask them! Most importantly; do this and make your application ASAP. You've already missed the deadline so it's vital you get it in very soon if you want to have any chance of receiving your support in time for the start of term. You can apply online at studentfinancedirect.co.uk or order a paper form from your LEA. Lycka till!
Thanks for the advice : ) but I forgot to mention, sorry, this is for 2009/2010 (entry 2009), so I won't be able to apply until September, which makes it more complicated as I will have settled down in London by then. And my parents will be moving from here round about same time as me, but it's not decided where they will be moving to, but it will most likely be london or nearby.
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 9mm)
Thanks for the advice : ) but I forgot to mention, sorry, this is for 2009/2010 (entry 2009), so I won't be able to apply until September, which makes it more complicated as I will have settled down in London by then. And my parents will be moving from here round about same time as me, but it's not decided where they will be moving to, but it will most likely be london or nearby.
Oh right. Then you will be applying to your LEA in London/your new place of residence. Although, I have heard a rumour that the Student Loan Company will be handling all applications centrally in the near future - so that might be in place by next year.

In any case, it won't matter, you don't have to live for 3 years in the same place or LEA area. Your entitlement is on the basis of residence in the UK - it doesn't matter where in the UK or in which LEA.
9mm
Rep:
?
Oh right. Then you will be applying to your LEA in London/your new place of residence. Although, I have heard a rumour that the Student Loan Company will be handling all applications centrally in the near future - so that might be in place by next year.

In any case, it won't matter, you don't have to live for 3 years in the same place or LEA area. Your entitlement is on the basis of residence in the UK - it doesn't matter where in the UK or in which LEA.
Oh right, I just had this idea that it HAD to be the council in the are where you studied. :p: So it's one of the london borough councils then...just need to find which one. Thanks again.

And what about the LEA award? How exactly do I obtain/apply for it?
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 9mm)
Oh right, I just had this idea that it HAD to be the council in the are where you studied. :p: So it's one of the london borough councils then...just need to find which one. Thanks again.

And what about the LEA award? How exactly do I obtain/apply for it?
Yeah, it should be fairly stress free.

I don't know about the LEA award, what is an LEA award? I've never heard of it before! Is it another term for the maintenance grant (i.e. the non-repayable bit)? If so, all of it is assessed with the same application form.

I have to say, I find student finance confusing too. There are so many terms for what is often the same thing.
9mm
Rep:
?
Yeah, it should be fairly stress free.

I don't know about the LEA award, what is an LEA award? I've never heard of it before! Is it another term for the maintenance grant (i.e. the non-repayable bit)? If so, all of it is assessed with the same application form.

I have to say, I find student finance confusing too. There are so many terms for what is often the same thing.
To my knowledge, an LEA award is kind of like a grant, paid by the government/local authority which makes up 70% of the fee payed. International students have to pay something like £13,500 (the full fee), but Home students only pay roughly £3,000 (since the rest of the fee is paid for)- and any student loan/grant/bursary/scholarship is for this remaining £3,000.

That's all I've gathered, but it's near impossible to find any information about the lea. Yeah it's quite confusing, although I think it's mostly due to the complication of being international (or an EU national), but having home fee status and being a UK resident. Anyway thank you for all your help mate, really appreciate it. I just hope someone can now help me figure out this LEA thing.
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 9mm)
To my knowledge, an LEA award is kind of like a grant, paid by the government/local authority which makes up 70% of the fee payed. International students have to pay something like £13,500 (the full fee), but Home students only pay roughly £3,000 (since the rest of the fee is paid for)- and any student loan/grant/bursary/scholarship is for this remaining £3,000.

That's all I've gathered, but it's near impossible to find any information about the lea. Yeah it's quite confusing, although I think it's mostly due to the complication of being international (or an EU national), but having home fee status and being a UK resident. Anyway thank you for all your help mate, really appreciate it. I just hope someone can now help me figure out this LEA thing.
Oh right, so it's the tuition-fee loan? In that case, it covers ALL of the tuition fee (which is slightly more than 3000 pounds for home and EU students). Even EU students get this loan. Sorry, I'd just never heard it called LEA award before. But, there seems to be as many names for each loan as there are days in the year!

Basically, your LEA asses your entitlement to 3 different things (possibly more if you're in more unusual circumstances, like you have children to care for etc) using the same form:
- The tuition fee loan. You have to repay this after you graduate. It will cover all of your tuition fees and is guaranteed to all home AND EU students. So, even if you still lived in Sweden you would get this.
- The maintenance loan. You have to repay this after you graduate. Available only to home students. IE, you're eligible for this.
- The maintenance grant. You do NOT have to repay this. Also only for home students and dependant on your income. Most people will get something but if your parents have a very high income, you won't get anything.

Then of course, your university might have a bursary scheme - which will almost always also be income assessed. A lot of unis give a proportion of the maintenance grant. For example, UCL give you a bursary of 50% of whatever sum the government maintenance grant is (so if you don't get that grant, you don't receive any bursary).
9mm
Rep:
?
oh no, sorry. LEA is different from student loans. I always thought it was just something that the local authority paid on your behalf to the uni applying to and is already deducted from the total fee. But I just wanted to see if that is actually the case, or if you have to contact your LA to make sure they will be paying for that 70% of the fee, leaving you with the remainder of £3,500 or something to either obtain a student loan for or pay directly without a loan, via parents or job etc.

Student loan is a different thing. Sorry to confuse you, I'm still a bit confused myself. lol
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 9mm)
oh no, sorry. LEA is different from student loans. I always thought it was just something that the local authority paid on your behalf to the uni applying to and is already deducted from the total fee. But I just wanted to see if that is actually the case, or if you have to contact your LA to make sure they will be paying for that 70% of the fee, leaving you with the remainder of £3,500 or something to either obtain a student loan for or pay directly without a loan, via parents or job etc.

Student loan is a different thing. Sorry to confuse you, I'm still a bit confused myself. lol
Haha. Don't worry, this is one subject that confuses everyone!!

But I still don't get it, why would they only pay 70% of the fee? They pay 100% for all home and EU students regardless of your income. There's two types of fees, one really high one that non-EU students pay (typically 10,000 plus... like the 13 thousand figure you give), the other price is for EU/UK students which is for 2008-09 £3145. The LEA pay this ALL for you to the university, but it gets added on to your "loan amount" if I can call it that... so you have to pay it back together with the maintenance loan when you graduate.

So, basically, as you're a home student you won't pay any fees in advance at all. You used to have to pay in advance under the old system (before top-up fees when the fees where around 1000 for UK/EU), but now it just gets added to your graduate debt. So, don't worry, you won't have to rely on your parents for any fees if you're a home (or even EU) student.
9mm
Rep:
?
LOOOL ok I'm lost again.

ok this it what I'll do, when September comes, I'll contact the London Borough Council in my area and see what exactly I must do and perhaps ask them to give me a definition of an LEA award. Hopefully, it should then be sorted. :p:

Btw, I'm not applying for a Student Maintenance Loan, just a student loan for tuition fees.

Edit/summary:

- so I don't have to think about the LEA?
- I'm classified as a home student, therefore my fee is £3,500 approx. and that is all I have to think about
- I'm eligible for a student loan (for tuition fees) which I will apply to through one of the London councils?
- I will apply for a student loan in september
Mumintroll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 9mm)
LOOOL ok I'm lost again.

ok this it what I'll do, when September comes, I'll contact the London Borough Council in my area and see what exactly I must do and perhaps ask them to give me a definition of an LEA award. Hopefully, it should then be sorted. :p:

Btw, I'm not applying for a Student Maintenance Loan, just a student loan for tuition fees.
Haha. Ok, sounds the best idea. But you will def get your tuition fees paid by the Tuition fee student loan, so you don't need anything else to pay it.

You might as well apply for the maintenance loan anyway. Even if you don't plan on using (e.g. if you're fortunate enough to have parents that will support all your living costs), just invest it all in a high-interest savings account and repay the loan directly on graduation whilst keeping your bank interest. The student loan rate of interest (on repayments) is much lower than commercial loans, so you should make a profit doing that (especially with ISAs and banks like Kaupthing's high interest accounts).

Anyway, good luck when you get to applying - both UCAS and student finance!!

EDIT: On your summary, it's YES to all 4 questions. Don't worry about where you are in the UK, it doesn't really matter. The scheme is the same wherever you are in England and its governed by the SLC's rules - the LEA is in some ways just a middle man responsible for handling the application paperwork (in some areas, the SLC handles it directly and according to what I've heard, they will take over for everywhere in the near future). The SLC/central govt actually pays your support - not the LEA, so which LEA you live in really doesn't matter (they are not going to get annoyed because you've only lived in their district for 2 months and then want their money as it's not really their money they are allocating).
9mm
Rep:
?
AHHHHH I see. alright thanks for all the help, it's finally a bit clearer now. :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise