Jobs? Watch

QI Elf
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok so during the summer holidays I am cleaning for an old lady once a week and expect to get about £100 in total. I am also cleaning/gardening/ ironing for my grandma and probably expect to get a similar amount if not a bit more.

I know that will prbably only cover things I need to buy to take to uni so will probably get a job whilst at Leicester Uni.

Is this advisable? Do many people have a job whilst at uni?

Also where would you suggest I look at/ apply for? Ideally I would quite like to work on or around the university such as in the student union or showing people around on open days.

If you show people round on open days, I presume it would not be too frequent, could you have another job on the side? Also how do you apply to jobs within the university and do they generally pay ok?

Sorry, one last question. My aim is to get the best possible degree I can (obviously) and have my sights set on a 1st. I know in the first year grades etc do not count towards you final result but if I worked say during my 2nd and 3rd year do you think it would possibly compromise getting a top grade? Obviously I realise that it would depend upon how much I worked both at my job and on my studies but some indication would be great.

Many thanks
QI Elf
Faery_Lights
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get jobs in the Union and around the Uni- Sweetfloss and Lottie12 both work in the Union I believe and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out with that

As for being a Student Ambassador, you get as much work as you're willing to take. There's no pressure and it's up to you to say when you can work. As for me, I didn't have a job in my first year. I've just started working in a Morrisons down here though and I'm hoping to transfer to the one near to the Uni in September.

When it comes to a job, you just have to be sensible enough to balance the working/academic/social sides of your life. 39 hours a week IS going to affect your degree. 10 hours a week, if you work hard then probably not. You just have to keep focused.

I will say however, that your degree classification is not the be all and end all. Employers are going to look to see what else you do too. Don't put so much emphasis on the academic side of Uni that you forget to enjoy yourself, because that's another very important part and employers will be looking to see what else you do other than the academics
sweetfloss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Working at the union is good fun I work Friday night every week during term time, and extra nights if I need the cash (when gigs are on, etc). Friday night (about 6 hours) = about £30 a week which I use to buy luxuries (nights out, clothes etc) that I can't afford with my loan. I know plenty of people that work more than me. About 12 hours is the most I would recommend, and I believe the university has a rule of no more than 20 hours a week.

I can't find the link to fill in a form for the job, but I expect in September a link somewhere on the student union webpage will appear. It's easy to get a job at the beginning of autumn, but a lot harder in say January when people realise they need the money!!!

I don't believe that having a job will compromise your degree, provided you manage your time. My marks have been just fine this year

Feel free to ask any questions about working in the bar
QI Elf
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by sweetfloss)
Working at the union is good fun I work Friday night every week during term time, and extra nights if I need the cash (when gigs are on, etc). Friday night (about 6 hours) = about £30 a week which I use to buy luxuries (nights out, clothes etc) that I can't afford with my loan. I know plenty of people that work more than me. About 12 hours is the most I would recommend, and I believe the university has a rule of no more than 20 hours a week.

I can't find the link to fill in a form for the job, but I expect in September a link somewhere on the student union webpage will appear. It's easy to get a job at the beginning of autumn, but a lot harder in say January when people realise they need the money!!!
I don't believe that having a job will compromise your degree, provided you manage your time. My marks have been just fine this year

Feel free to ask any questions about working in the bar

So if I applied almost as soon as I arrived would that be ok? Also would it matter or not that I had next to no experience, although for a student guide I have shown people around my school who came for visits etc as I was a prefect.

What kind things does the bar work involve? Just serving people?
sweetfloss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by QI Elf)
So if I applied almost as soon as I arrived would that be ok? Also would it matter or not that I had next to no experience, although for a student guide I have shown people around my school who came for visits etc as I was a prefect.

What kind things does the bar work involve? Just serving people?
Bar work is easy as pie Just serving people and keeping the bar stocked and clearing up. Doesn't matter at all if you have no experience. I was invited to an "interview" on the sunday I moved into halls, and it turned out to be an orientation and everyone was offered shifts who turned up. It can all be picked up pretty quickly anyway!!

For Student Guide I'd leave applying til later in the term so you know your way around a bit before throwing yourself in the deep end. They give you full training but I know I wouldn't have felt confident doing it before I knew my way around!!!
lottie12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think sweetfloss has explained most things about working in the bar. She works in the Venue (which is only open certain nights) whereas I work in the Redfearn which is open all day and night.

I personally prefer working in the Redfearn because you can get varied shifts and aren't always stuck doing nights. In the first semester I did 8 hours a week (two 4 hour shifts) which worked great for me. Then in the second semester, I got it cut down to one six hour shift as I had a lot of early starts (so couldn't do night times) and wanted to concentrate on exams too. I mainly just do the day time - I hate night shifts!! So it all depends on what you want really.

Day shifts - you have to put in food orders, do drinks, keep the bar stocked, clean plates (put them in the dishwasher in other words) and clearing tables.
Night shifts - serve people, stock the bar, clean up.

Hope that's helped!

What course are you going to do by the way? See if you have not many lectures etc. it's worth working in the bar as you get to meet lots of people (I love the people I work with, they're all great!) Oh and you get paid minimum wage (£5.52 per hour) but you do get paid every week (Thursdays to be exact) which is a plus!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads