Converting wma to mp3 Watch

piglet29
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey guys I have recently bought an ipod and most of my music is in wma format from ripping it off cds onto windows media player previously but now itunes will not accept any of my wma music and i can't find the cds anywhere to rip them straight to itunes. does anyone know any good, reliable, legal software i can use to convert these files into mp3 without having to buy all the cds again?
thanks in advance (=
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
iTunes will do it.

when you add WMAs to iTunes it says 'one or more of the songs you added is in the WMA format, would you like iTunes to convert these to [whatever format you've set it to convert to]?'
piglet29
Rep:
?
but i have tried that and then a window appears saying "one or more of the songs being added are in the protected WMA format and could not be converted". Is there any way to make them unprotected or should i just download them off itunes?
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Google it, there's plenty of programs for this. Most have a free trial and some are completely free.
piglet29
Rep:
?
are they legal?
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Programs which force the removal of DRM (Digital Rights Management, the protection) are not legal. A workaround of this would be programs which play the file in real-time, and then record it into a different format. As far as I'm aware, the latter types of programs are not illegal as such. But generally there are no 100% legal programs which remove DRM off files, otherwise there would be no point to the protection in the first place.
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The easiest way to remove DRM is to burn the files as an audio CD, then rip the music off the CD into iTunes. You can't add DRM'd material that isn't from iTunes into iTunes.
piglet29
Rep:
?
ok, well thanks for the suggestions, i'll try them out (=
The Edwinnator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by piglet29)
are they legal?
Oh come on, that should be the least of your concerns :P Try MediaCoder- mediacoder.sourceforge.net
mooseface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I use 'Switch' which is a great converter. Think it's mac only though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (307)
37.48%
No - but I will (62)
7.57%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise