minecraftcow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ok long story but I haven’t been to school in about 7 months of year 10, I’m now in year 11 and the school I’m in now is only letting me do 7 GCSEs; English language, English literature, maths, combined science, history and art + an useless religious study short course. Is this enough to do A-levels and go to a good university? + is it possible to pass these subjects in the little time I have left, as I’ve missed so much of school? I’m really concerned.
Last edited by minecraftcow; 1 year ago
Failing my maths
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by minecraftcow)
Ok long story but I haven’t been to school in about 7 months of year 10, I’m now in year 11 and the school I’m in now is only letting me do 7 GCSEs; English language, English literature, maths, combined science, history and art + an useless religious study short course. Is this enough to do A-levels and go to a good university? + is it possible to pass these subjects in the little time I have left, as I’ve missed so much of school? I’m really concerned.
Hey!! Though I'm not doing GCSEs, most uni needs GCSE Maths for science subjects... I'm not sure is this helpful but do really get good grades in Maths and think about what course do you want to do at uni...
And for more information, my school allows us o retake GCSE Maths with extra support and lessons after school, which many of my friends said that it would be very helpful if they could not get the grade they want at the first place, maybe you could ask them if they do it too...?
Anyways, your interest in further studies at uni is the most important thing! Try to search for GCSE requirements for uni courses for more information, it might give you a clearer vision

Last but not least, wish you best luck in GCSEs Exams!!
Rolo1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am doing 7 gcses as well and I didnt miss any school but I do a btec and add maths which are not gcses so...:sadnod:
BUT from what I heard GCSEs dont really matter for uni. even the prestigious RUSEEL GROUP However for A-levels they would matter
Last edited by Rolo1234; 1 year ago
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You will be fine to do A levels if you do well in those GCSEs. What grades are you working at now? Most colleges and sixth forms will want you to have at least a 6 in the subjects you want to take. What subjects are you planning to take?
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 year ago
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
You will be fine to do A levels if you do well in those GCSEs. What grades are you working at now? Most colleges and sixth forms will want you to have at least a 6 in the subjects you want to take. What subjects are you planning to take?
OP might not do as well as he/she has missed a lot of the GCSE content tho
Dancer2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rolo1234)
OP might not do as well as he/she has missed a lot of the GCSE content tho
It depends where they were to start with. There isn’t loads of content in gcse, and they could still catch up, especially when they are only doing 7. Art might be a problem but they could still get good grades in 4 or 5 of them.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 1 year ago
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends where they were to start with. There isn’t loads of content in gcse, and they could still catch up, especially when they are only doing 7. Art might be a problem but they could still get good grades in 4 or 5 of them.
True
minecraftcow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My grades are all over the place, I’m working at a 7-8 in English, 5s in science and a 4 in foundation maths. I’m not too worried about art but I’m really lost during history lessons due to my absence. I’m planning to take A level art, English and history. I’ve recently started getting tuition for english, maths science and history but I’m worried that it still may not be enough. Is history a time consuming subject?
Last edited by minecraftcow; 1 year ago
Rolo1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My grades are all over the place, I’m working at a 7-8 in English, 5s in science and a 4 in foundation maths. I’m not too worried about art but I’m really lost during history lessons due to my absence. I’m planning to take A level art, English and history. I’ve recently started getting tuition for english, maths science and history but I’m worried that it still may not be enough. Is history a time consuming subject?
Not sure about history but the only GCSEs you need are english language and maths so try and boost your maths up to at least a 5 as most unis need that. Dont worry too much about the other subjects but still try and improve as much as you can. GCSEs will become nearly irrelevant once you start A-levelsfor RG unis anyway
Dancer2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should be fine with a 5 in maths, but a 6 would be ideal. This will almost definitely happen if you go to lessons.
History is something that will take some work to improve, but your English skills will help you a lot. Just try to make sure you know the content as well as you can. Watch documentaries, research yourself about the time periods and form opinions.
Make sure you are practicing your English. You could do this by writing about things related to your history topics.
It’s great that you have a tutor for science. Do past papers, then go through every question you didn’t understand with your tutor.

If you get a decent grade in English lit/lang, art, history and maths, that will be fine for sixth forms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.6%
No - I have already returned home (63)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.7%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (136)
28.81%

Watched Threads