MA History (Modern), help please! Watch

Cessie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I've just started considering doing an MA after I finish my undegraduate degree. I'm going in to my third year at Warwick in September.

I think I would probably want to do a taught masters rather than a research one, and I doubt I would do a PHD afterwards....................I' m not sure what I want to do as a job yet so I'm considering doing an MA I would enjoy at a decent uni.

Does anybody know where is particular is good for modern, particularly 20th Century history? The course which appeals to be most so far is the MA in History of War at Kings although I'm not sure if I want to live in London. Does anyone know of any similar courses elsewhere? Or is anyone currently doing history at kings who could tell me a bit more about it.

I'm not entirely sure what area I want to focus on either....the following (modern) topics in particular interest me, but certainly aren't the limits of my interests! War in general - Cold War, Middle East, Gulf, uk media & war.........British political history in 20thC.........modern Ireland...........America from New Deal onwards........nationalist/independence struggles. So I'd be open to taking a look at anything related to these. Essentially, I'd like somewhere where I could do a dissertation in one of these areas which also has considerable twentieth century optional modules for any compulsory taught aspects.

Does anyone have experience of the taught courses at Oxford/Cambridge? In particular Oxford.......from what I can see from the website there doesn't seem to be many twentieth century modules which interest me at all which is a bit annoying.

If anyone has experience of doing a modern history MA anywhere I would just really like to know what your experience is.
oriel historian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cessie)
I've just started considering doing an MA after I finish my undegraduate degree. I'm going in to my third year at Warwick in September.

I think I would probably want to do a taught masters rather than a research one, and I doubt I would do a PHD afterwards....................I' m not sure what I want to do as a job yet so I'm considering doing an MA I would enjoy at a decent uni.

Does anybody know where is particular is good for modern, particularly 20th Century history? The course which appeals to be most so far is the MA in History of War at Kings although I'm not sure if I want to live in London. Does anyone know of any similar courses elsewhere? Or is anyone currently doing history at kings who could tell me a bit more about it.

I'm not entirely sure what area I want to focus on either....the following (modern) topics in particular interest me, but certainly aren't the limits of my interests! War in general - Cold War, Middle East, Gulf, uk media & war.........British political history in 20thC.........modern Ireland...........America from New Deal onwards........nationalist/independence struggles. So I'd be open to taking a look at anything related to these. Essentially, I'd like somewhere where I could do a dissertation in one of these areas which also has considerable twentieth century optional modules for any compulsory taught aspects.

Does anyone have experience of the taught courses at Oxford/Cambridge? In particular Oxford.......from what I can see from the website there doesn't seem to be many twentieth century modules which interest me at all which is a bit annoying.

If anyone has experience of doing a modern history MA anywhere I would just really like to know what your experience is.
Oxford - it does do modern history but you'd be having to do the MSt which is a sort of a taught-research masters. The 2 year MPhil is in European History (modern) but is very often taken by Americans who go there for the 'experience' rather than anything much more. It's also a major research degree with a 30,000 word dissertation so not something to be taken lightly. In general I would seek places that match your interests for this rather than simply picking 'places' because of their name. So, should you want to do Ireland erm TCD or UCD or Queens Belfast for example would be great (the former being in Ireland but through the EU there's no problems there); you'd be able to do a dissertation whereever you go but if you want to do it justice then the research masters offers you more space and freedom to do a longer one but at the same time will give you the skills that you're not really interested in.

At Edinburgh they have a centre for the study of WW2 and at many of the other top universities there'll be research centres devoted to topics relevant to their location. You just have to have a look around.

I did a research masters so I'm afraid I can't help with the specific aspects of the courses but in general the websites tell you much!
Cessie
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply! I looked at the Oxford MSt but even though it has modern history it still seems to also go back to like 1600 which I'm really not interested in and none of the optional modules really appeal to me.

Yes I have looked at the Irish unis you mentioned as my sister went to Queens for her undergrad, and I'm considering them but I'm not completely sure whether I want to do Irish history yet.

I've just had a look at Bristol which seems quite good for the modern stuff that I'm interested in too.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for your reply! I looked at the Oxford MSt but even though it has modern history it still seems to also go back to like 1600 which I'm really not interested in and none of the optional modules really appeal to me.

Yes I have looked at the Irish unis you mentioned as my sister went to Queens for her undergrad, and I'm considering them but I'm not completely sure whether I want to do Irish history yet.

I've just had a look at Bristol which seems quite good for the modern stuff that I'm interested in too.
Another you may wish to consider is Manchester. It's one of the more 'postmodern' departments in the country with Patrick Joyce being there but is quite respected. Warwick is an option for modern European. Others may offer something: for example Exeter, Durham, Cardiff, Aberystwyth, Edinburgh, Glasgow ... etc etc.

You're very broad in your interests so it would be difficult to narrow down a specific set of universities really. I guess you would have the choice of where you wanted to live to factor in as most universities will have some sort of modern thing going on.
apotoftea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Royal Holloway offer taught modules on the Middle East, a couple of US History and quite a bit on Modern Europe.

http://www.rhul.ac.uk/History/postgr...d_MA_menu.html

Plus you'd have the option of the one of the inter-collegiate modules.

Nottingham offer modules on the Middle East and quite a varied range on British history.

However, this looks JUST like what you're looking for (subject wise):
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/IDE...ubleDegree.htm

The subject options are fantastic - click on more information Cost of it will be pretty high I'd imagine.

Have a mooch on www.findamasters.com too

If war is your preferred subject then Kings would probably be your best bet
Cessie
Rep:
?
Cheers for replies, I've had a proper look at a load of unis now and ordered some prospectuses and I've got a bit of a better idea!

Kings is still the course appealing to me the most, looks amazing.
c0co
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
UCL has a modern history masters that I'm applying for! The course administrator is amazing, and there is a lot of U.S. history! He's on sabbatical for the 2008/9, but will be back for 2009. If you're considering London it's probably worthwhile to apply to both Kings and UCL.
Cessie
Rep:
?
Yeah, UCL looks good. So far I think the best courses I've seen are at:

Kings
UCL
LSE
Bristol
Exeter
Manchester
Trinity

Plus a few others.

Apotoftea have you done a history MA?
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Will be starting one in September Spent an awful lot of time researching them too as I'm very picky :rolleyes:
Cessie
Rep:
?
Oh, cool. Is it a taught one? What kind of history and where if you don't mind me asking?!
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, cool. Is it a taught one? What kind of history and where if you don't mind me asking?!
Ask away - am doing the taught MA History at RHUL. Will be mainly 19th cen and gender history (depending on actual module options)
Cessie
Rep:
?
(Original post by apotoftea)
Ask away - am doing the taught MA History at RHUL. Will be mainly 19th cen and gender history (depending on actual module options)

Oh cool, nice one. Gender history........my worst nightmare, lol! I hope it goes well
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh cool, nice one. Gender history........my worst nightmare, lol! I hope it goes well
Everyone says that :p: Thanks though
c0co
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by apotoftea)
Would love to do Gender History! Am thinking of applying for the social and cultural studies MA at Edinburgh because it's got a good mix of gender, film, etc...

Where else did you apply?
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by c0co)
Would love to do Gender History! Am thinking of applying for the social and cultural studies MA at Edinburgh because it's got a good mix of gender, film, etc...

Where else did you apply?
I didn't!

Notts, Exeter, Goldsmiths all offer Gender if that's an area you want to study Those ones are off the top of my head, there are a couple more.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Gender = shudder. Bunch of loopy feminists the lot of you :P *

*disclaimer: I'm not anti-women, just like to wind the gender people up!
c0co
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's true, I'm about one step away from burning my bra in a man hating protest....
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oriel historian)
Gender = shudder. Bunch of loopy feminists the lot of you :P *

*disclaimer: I'm not anti-women, just like to wind the gender people up!
:fight: :p:

Give me masculinity over femininity any day! Far far more interesting

~goes off to burn bra~
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads