The Student Room Group

Period Pains & Attendance at School/Uni

So basically I have really bad period pains, causing me to stay off school 1-2 days every month, this has been going on since the end of y10 and now I’m in y13. I have told my school about why I’m off but they still say that we think it’s days that you just can’t be bothered coming in.
I’ve made an appointment with the doctor for next Thursday about these pains, I’m not really sure how they’re going to respond because last year I went to a different doctor about it and she said to me ‘well everyone has period pains’ like I know period pains are normal, but too much pain isn’t and then she prescribed me medicine and I told her I can’t swallow tablets and she said to me ‘well they’re the only option’.
I’m really worried about my attendance because I’m going to be starting uni next year and I’m scared in case I’ll have to be off 1-2 days every month because of it. Like the doctors don’t even take me seriously.
Also how harsh is uni with attendance?
(edited 4 years ago)
Bump.
Bump.
Hey, period pains aren't nice but when they are causing you to be off 1-2 days a month, it sounds like it's worth seeing your GP again. They might be able to give you something to reduce how heavy your periods are or even get rid of them all together which could help. See if they have any liquid form of tablets. Normally something like the pill to reduce periods is a very very small tablet. They may also send you for a scan of your womb in case you have anything physically wrong e.g. fibroids. Best to see your GP :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Uni isn't too serious. At my uni I only have to attend tutorials and not lectures
Why can't you swallow tablets though? Most medications are in tablet form
Original post by AzureCeleste
Uni isn't too serious. At my uni I only have to attend tutorials and not lectures
Why can't you swallow tablets though? Most medications are in tablet form

I don’t know, I think I’m just scared to choke, so when ever I try to swallow them I end up vomiting
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hey, period pains aren't nice but when they are causing you to be off 1-2 days a month, it sounds like it's worth seeing your GP again. They might be able to give you something to reduce how heavy your periods are or even get rid of them all together which could help. See if they have any liquid form of tablets. Normally something like the pill to reduce periods is a very very small tablet. Best to see your GP :smile:

Thank you, I have an appointment next week
Original post by adviceisallineed
I don’t know, I think I’m just scared to choke, so when ever I try to swallow them I end up vomiting

I get this with powdery ones like paracetamol and I have to break them up and take them with a lot of water. But the smoother coated ones are usually okay. Normally I just do it quickly and don't think about it too much, the more a panic the less easy it is :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending